Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Van Wouldn't Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Dave, I wish that shore power was available, but where I store the SMB it isn't.

That is why I got the solar charger, to keep a trickle going into the batteries.

Somewhere here long ago, I read that you can trickle charge the starter batteries through the cig lighter on the dash.

R
So you run the block heater all night off you inverter when camping?

I'm just wondering what the AC draw is off the block warmer when plugged into an outlet. I kind of hate to run my inverter when I'm in the backcountry at night just to keep the engine warm and will use my espar on the timer instead.

I do the same with my pickup and just plug a trickle charger into the 12 outlet...works great at home and is a lot easier than having to open the hood to hook onto the battery.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Dave, I wish that shore power was available, but where I store the SMB it isn't.

That is why I got the solar charger, to keep a trickle going into the batteries.

Somewhere here long ago, I read that you can trickle charge the starter batteries through the cig lighter on the dash.

R
So you run the block heater all night off you inverter when camping?

I'm just wondering what the AC draw is off the block warmer when plugged into an outlet. I kind of hate to run my inverter when I'm in the backcountry at night just to keep the engine warm and will use my espar on the timer instead.

I do the same with my pickup and just plug a trickle charger into the 12 outlet...works great at home and is a lot easier than having to open the hood to hook onto the battery.
Sorry Dave, I misunderstood the question about how I get power to the block heater.

When I do plug in the block heater overnight I typically have shore power available.

When I don't have shore power available (e.g., snow camping), I used my eu2000 generator to deliver power and plug in the block heater a few hours before I need to start the van. I've only done that once and it probably wasn't really necessary. I have started the van many times without the block heater after nights when temps got down to 0-10deg. The block heater just makes starting easier and substantially reduces the amount of warm up time needed to get the engine up to normal operating temps.

R
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #13

Dave ,
I also utilize the Honda 2000 in the same manner that Rob does and we have camped at temperatures as low as 10 below on a couple of occasions . I do this religiously anytime that we are camping in temperatures that are in the 30's only difficulty is I am the official Cord Puller !
Typically I will run the the Honda for a minimum of one half hour prior to Cranking the Diesel but have run unto 2 hours when confronted by sub zero temperatures and to make this doable in 15 degree or colder temperatures , I will keep the turned off Honda inside the Van at night !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Dave ,
I also utilize the Honda 2000 in the same manner that Rob does and we have camped at temperatures as low as 10 below on a couple of occasions . I do this religiously anytime that we are camping in temperatures that are in the 30's only difficulty is I am the official Cord Puller !
Typically I will run the the Honda for a minimum of one half hour prior to Cranking the Diesel but have run unto 2 hours when confronted by sub zero temperatures and to make this doable in 15 degree or colder temperatures , I will keep the turned off Honda inside the Van at night !
Greggde
Hey Gregg, I'm the official 'cord puller' in our family too! The eu2000 starts easily, but in cold weather keeping it running from a cold start can be a challenge. When it is freezing outside, jumping out of a warm sleeping bag or van and nursing the choke for 5-10min is no fun.
R
Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
I do usually wait for the glow plug, especially on the first start of the day. Wasn't enough this time...
I believe in the 6.0L and know in the 7.3L that the dash light is independent of the actual glow plug warming. The light is just a timer and will stay on just as long in Acapulco after driving as in Alaska at 3 am.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I believe in the 6.0L and know in the 7.3L that the dash light is independent of the actual glow plug warming. The light is just a timer and will stay on just as long in Acapulco after driving as in Alaska at 3 am.
Interesting. This is purely anecdotal, but my light does not seem to stay on the same amount of time each time. My inclination is to say that it goes out faster when it is warm. It certainly stays on longer on the first start of the day. However, if that has anything to do with the actual status of the glow plug temp, I have no idea...
Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #17

I concur with the last post. On my 2003 7.3l, the 'wait-to-start' light on the instrument panel stays on about 15 to 20 seconds when the engine is cold and only 2 or 3 seconds when restarting a warm engine.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

When I use my Espar to heat the engine prior to starting, the glow plug dash light does go off much faster. I don't trust that and let the plugs warm longer just in case. Like I said, I don't know if it hurts or helps.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote