Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #1

Van Wouldn't Start

Van wouldn't start this morning. Started cranking fine, but ran out of juice before it fired off. Luckily, Jeep runs great so I blow it off and go to work.

It was cold. Well, I live in Southern Arizona. So, we I say cold I mean low 40's. So, that's a pretty lame excuse.

I haven't driven it in a while. Well, in about two weeks anyway. That better be a pretty lame excuse.

I do have lots of stuff that could be draining the battery. Well, if the alarm, clock, and CO2 sensor thingy SMB through in there counts as lots. However, in this group I'm guessing that's laughable...

The answer was a jump from the Jeep. I've got the block heater plugged in tonight. However, I grew up in Minnesota and went to school in North Dakota. I know what block heaters are for and it sure as heck isn't for 40 degrees.

Gotta say, I would be pretty frustrated to find out there is something on the van that can drain the battery after sitting for two weeks.

Rant complete.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Re: Van Wouldn't Start

Was it cranking and not catching? My glow plug relay (F250 7.3L) went bad and even in 40° it wouldn't start without a block heater- block heater? Fired right up. Spent all winter doing that and replaced the relay in the spring.

Hope it's something like that and not some niggling battery drain you have to chase down.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

Van Wouldn't Start

Clearly the battery. Initially cranked fine, then quickly died. Jump and it started normally.

Plugged in block heater just because warm oil can only be good. No issues today.

I fear I might have to track down something draining my charge...
Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Another reason for solar...even a small panel or rig a small maintanance charger up maybe? Hopefully your batteries or one of them didn't fail. I have not had any troubles starting in 30+ temps. After it reaches lows in the 30's I do let the glow plugs warm for a little longer but I don't know if that helps or hurts.

If I have a pig tail does that indicate I have a block warmer?

I've seen the plug but never knew if there is a block warmer at the other end. If I have one I'll use it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #5

Van Wouldn't Start

Yea. That's what the plug is for. If I understand correctly, block heater is standard with the diesel.

I do usually wait for the glow plug, especially on the first start of the day. Wasn't enough this time...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Yea. That's what the plug is for. If I understand correctly, block heater is standard with the diesel.

I do usually wait for the glow plug, especially on the first start of the day. Wasn't enough this time...
I know mine has a block warmer and I use it whenever we're in the Sierras. Temp outside is now 3deg and I plugged it in last night before bed. Makes starting much easier.

I've used a small 5w solar panel to keep my batteries topped off when the SMB is parked for the past 3 years. It plugs into the dash cig lighter. My battery voltage is pretty good even after sitting for several weeks.

Here is the panel I use. The Amazon price is well below what I paid too.

http://www.amazon.com/F15-300-Folding-S ... 408&sr=1-4

R
Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Rob, do you plug into shore power to use it? I imagine they pull a hefty load.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Van Wouldn't Start

You can "push" into the starter batteries through a 12 volt outlet? I haven't heard or thought of that before.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Rob, do you plug into shore power to use it? I imagine they pull a hefty load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
You can "push" into the starter batteries through a 12 volt outlet? I haven't heard or thought of that before.
Dave, I wish that shore power was available, but where I store the SMB it isn't.

That is why I got the solar charger, to keep a trickle going into the batteries.

Somewhere here long ago, I read that you can trickle charge the starter batteries through the cig lighter on the dash. So I just setup the solar panel in the windshield, and plug in the cig adapter when the SMB is not in use. It is only 5w so no charge controller is necessary.

Before I got the solar panel I had my OEM set of starter batteries go dead after about 24 months. Huge PITA to get a jump and then to replace those myself!

I have no way of 'testing' the solar charger, but after about 3 years, all is good. And I've also used it to charge my cellphone and laptop while camping.

Good luck tracking down the issue.
R
Old 11-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Rob, thanks for the tip! Definitely worth a shot at $60. At the very least, looks like it stands a good chance of overcoming whatever the drain is.

Here I was just looking to vent. Now I have a potential simple fix. Love this place!