Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Don't fret!! My wife and I dream/threat is to become barista's and move around from city to city in our SMB and live/work as we see fit...working in cities we have run through and feel cool enough to maybe live/retire there....the next suggestion is something I have done, went back to school in '99 and got my Education degree...Elementary even...K-6... NEVER have I made a better decision...OK buying our SMB was third, wife number one...had my own classroom for 5 years, until I decided to become a Substitute...which I've been doing the last nine (no govt. telling me how to teach my class, no grades to do, no parents to argue with, only jealous teachers wishing they could have the benefits of teaching kids without the pain of red-tape, AND MOST IMPORTANT< we can take off anytime during the year!) Knowing all the students in a school is cool, and being able to work in any classroom is too....so my point, why not try to teach? You could come to Iowa and teach at one of the finest Engineering schools in the nation; Iowa State. Or you could teach HS in a beginning Engineering class....many Universities/Colleges require a Master's if not a Doctorate, but most will hire you while you continue education, or hire you as a Professor's assistant (can't remember what they call that position) to teach their class as they do research etc...I would think it would be, could be a very rewarding change of pace...I don't know your age, but if you have 20 years left to work, seems like a possibility.... Finding a job you LOVE (as I have) means you'll rarely feel the work burden bring you down! There is NOTHING like seeing the students "get it' because you helped them 'learn' something new...Light bulb moments! Good luck!! Keep us posted!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

I saw a FB post the other day, where we have job postings for Technicians and Machinists, to work on the National Ignition Facility (big Laser) at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA, at the edge of the SF Bay Area. We often have postings for engineers, ME's, EE's, and laser/optics techs as well.

Most of our techs are expected to work at almost an entry ME level, engineering regimen and controls similar to nuke sub and NASA research.

We employ about 8500 people, the NIF laser about 500. 95% of our positions are filled through Akima Infrastructure Services,

https://www.slp-support.com/careers/
Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
Just my two cents: Chris at U-Joint Offroad could be interested in skills like yours...

Good luck in your search!
You are right

as usual....!!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #14

We do a lot of TPS reports though
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
We do a lot of TPS reports though
:-)

To work on vans full time, I'd happily come in on Saturday.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
:-)

To work on vans full time, I'd happily come in on Saturday.
Chris; "It would really, really help us out..."
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #17

Garage
...pacific northwest ujoint branch in the works?!?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #18

That would be cool.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #19

Garage
Are you using LinkedIn? I've gotten many job opportunities thrown my way through that app. It's worth a try if you're not yet using it!

capn
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #20

Well it looks like my fate has been decided for me. If anyone has been following the news, my employer is laying off 11% of its workforce this week and I just got the meeting notice from my manager. It isn't a surprise to me and actually it is quite welcomed news

With nearly half a year of severance, rather than find another job, I'll be going into the custom vehicle (mostly 4x4 vans and expedition vehicles) business full time. I have several products about to roll out for the E-series and some future plans for Sprinter and Transit stuff as well (not to mention G-wagens but I bet you guys didn't know I was into those too). I'm looking forward to offering you all my very best work and hope you'll contact me if you're in need of quality engineering and fabrication.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote