Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #11

Re: Water Hoses - which is which?

So, to rob the discussion somewhat, I have one of the white RV type collapsible hoses, that rolls up flat, and have always wondered if they are prone to getting crapped up inside. I was hoping that they may be semi permeable, and would dry up in a short amount of time. I've had it for 5+ years and never had a hint of any mildew or other "smells".

What kind of experiences have you guys had with these?

BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Just for the record, my brother filled his tank with a garden hose that had been laying out. I always like the water run like Mike, generally out the faucet for a minute, connect the hose and run through that for a few, and never use a regular hose, much less one that has been out.

It wasn't pretty. By the time he got here his whole water system was fouled, smelled bad and I think was blackish. He went through a pretty serious sterilization with some stuff from an RV store an hadn't commented since.

The funny thing is he is a chemical engineer and brews his own beer (sterilization!)- he of all people should know better than to use an old hose!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKRDS
So, to rob the discussion somewhat, I have one of the white RV type collapsible hoses, that rolls up flat, and have always wondered if they are prone to getting crapped up inside. I was hoping that they may be semi permeable, and would dry up in a short amount of time. I've had it for 5+ years and never had a hint of any mildew or other "smells".

What kind of experiences have you guys had with these?
I've gone through two of those...the original that came with our van and a replacement. It doesn't seem that they ever get dry and, after awhile, dark spots developed which suggested mold. You also can't easily connect the ends together. Our current fill hose is a vinyl (?) clear, coiled hose from the gardening department. They are slightly smaller diameter which means a slightly slower fill rate but that isn't that big of a deal. You can connect the ends and force them to lay semi-flat to get them into the rear door storage compartment.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #14

Wow! All of this information has been very helpful. Love this site.
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #15

Another dimension to the story is water quality.

We have "city" water which means the water is chlorinated by the water department before it is piped to our house. It is chlorinated enough to kill any bugs and still have residual chlorination. The residual chlorination will inhibit bug growth if the water is stored for 2-4 weeks prior to using. That is great for RV use.

If on the other hand you have well water it is probably not chlorinated. So there is nothing to inhibit growth in stored water. Doesn't mean you will get growth just that it is easier to occur.

We sanitize our van water system once a year and keep it full of "city" water when stored (not winter of course).

Carry a bottle of Polar Pure with us if we have any concern with local water quality. If we REALLY have a concern we will hold off filling up with water until we can find a safe source. Do not want to drink and do not want to contaminate the van water system with suspect water.

If we add Polar Pure (iodine) to the van water system it is usually in a 1ppm dose in clear water. Less then ~3ppm does not impart bad flavor or smell. We prefer Polar Pure over chlorine just because chlorine has a finite shelf life and the iodine crystals in the Polar Pure bottle have a infinite shelf life. On the other hand the Polar Pure bottle is glass so must remember to take it inside for the winter or drain the bottle. Chlorine and iodine are equally effective.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Site Team

Me, I'm about to sanitize my tank before leaving on a trip with 16oz of cheap vodka added to a nearly full water tank.

Herb
Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #17

Do you have enough ice?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Site Team

IMO, sanitizing a water tank is about the best possible use for vodka. Not a big fan of it.

Now give me some good beer, a good small batch bourbon, or a good single malt and I'm a happy camper in more ways than one.

My upcoming trip will be a very low alcohol event. Just my 5 year old son and me, so I need to stay fully functional at all times, so no more that 2 beers in any given day in camp.

Herb