Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #1
Gone Traveling

We bought a new van...

Today I bought and brought home a brand new 2018 ProMaster, 159”, Tall Roof. We are going to start the buildout in a few weeks. I’m very exited!

We did this because SMBW won’t even return my emails. They have completely ghosted me, and wouldn’t let me bring my van in to have a few things fixed. So, I had everything fixed- on my own dime, even though the top still has 4 years left on the warranty. This whole thing with SMBW sickens me, so we’re selling the Sportsmobile- for cheap, just to get away from them. This was just the worst and saddest situation and experience ever, seriously.

Just for the record, Texas was upset that this was happening so they Offered to “adopt” my van and warranty, and I was GRATEFUL, but I just can’t drive off halfway across the country (we live in Northern California). Besides, now everything is fixed, so we just want to move on and be done. I now understand why others on this site have also sold their units. It’s literally too frustrating to deal with SMBW.

I’m glad we got her all fixed and working like it’s supposed to, otherwise I would feel horrible selling it to someone else. And the new owner will get the remainder of the warranty, which Peter made happen for us, and that makes me feel better about selling it too. I do not think SMBW will treat the new owners like they have been treating us.

I have to say, Peter is a decent guy and tried to help, but Jonathan told him no. Kind of unbelievable. But I do have to acknowledge that Peter really did try and get my issues fixed, but warranty or not, SMBW wouldn’t help us. Peter sent me parts, all kinds, through the mail so we could get the issues fixed ourselves, so for that at least, I’m grateful.

I’m sorry to those of you I may have offended by airing my frustrations about SMBW... And I’m sorry that I didn’t take a few users’ advice and sell it months ago when they suggested to do so, (because it wasn’t worth the wasted stress fighting with SMBW). But I couldn’t, in good conscious, sell it when it still had problems. But, they’re all fixed and it’ll hopefully make someone very happy, and will make great memories with it. I’m sad to see it go, but every time I got in it I felt resentment and anger... so selling it is the only way to go. I’m actually relieved that we bought the new van and don’t ever have to deal with them again.

Thank you to everyone for all your advice, shared experiences, and taking the time to read my posts and respond. Truly, thank you.

Here’s to moving upward and onward. -

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

Garage
Enjoy that new van and the new adventures it will take you on! Sometimes moving on is the only resolution.... sorry for your pain and congratulations on your next chapter!

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Enjoy that new van and the new adventures it will take you on! Sometimes moving on is the only resolution.... sorry for your pain and congratulations on your next chapter!
Thanks! I really appreciate that!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

Maybe see if SMB Texas would be willing to sell it for you on their used vans website? That way it’s likely to go to someone in the Texas area who can deal with SMB Texas.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

Garage

pix or it didn't happen.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

Garage
Sounds like you did the right thing by fixing the known issues before passing the vehicle on. Thanks for your honesty, that's a commodity in short supply these days...
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

Drive your old one to Seattle/Portland. It will sell in a day (reasonably priced of course).

Congrats on the new van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Maybe see if SMB Texas would be willing to sell it for you on their used vans website? That way it’s likely to go to someone in the Texas area who can deal with SMB Texas.
Wow, that is a great idea. Seriously. I think I might give Texas a call tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 AM   #9
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

pix or it didn't happen.
That’s cute, but it everything I stated did indeed happen. There are a few videos and pictures online, and in a few threads on this forum. And there will be plenty more to come.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:56 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Sounds like you did the right thing by fixing the known issues before passing the vehicle on. Thanks for your honesty, that's a commodity in short supply these days...
Yeah, I just could not put it up for sale until everything is as it should be. And since SMBW wouldn’t address the problems, we did it ourselves. Luckily we have contractors and engineers in the family. My almost father-in-law was shocked to see how poorly done the inside ceiling was secured (hence a section of it falling down), but he fixed it and now it’s perfect. He even put a strip of trim in a place (of my build, nothing to do with the SMBW top) that he said made it look “ugly” without, and said that the van’s build out was so beautiful, he just had to make it all look perfect. He did a better job than Fresno, lol!

So now I feel good about putting it up for sale. Apparently my mom DID raise me right, lol.

And thank you for the props, I really appreciate it.