Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #11

Re: What do you do for work/living?

Husband, Dad, drive big rig (local) for big worldwide shipping conglomerate (always wanted to use that word).

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #12

Christine and I are artists... not the starving kind. We opened a gallery in a tiny North Mississippi town (pop. 288) 17 years ago. I make furniture from reclaimed materials, Christine is a jewelry maker, painter, and photographer... plus we keep a few junktiques 'cause we can't keep enough inventory to fill the gallery. We sell nationwide and have rich and famous clients like Eli Manning and Steven Seagal, and brokea$$ clients who do layaways. We LOVE our "job" and wouldn't trade with anybody.

Best part... I get to work out of the van from time-to-time!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #13

I work in corporate communications for SAP, a big Germany-based software company with US headquarters in the Philadelphia area. Mostly writing, editing, and managing the corporate website. I'm very lucky that I primarily work from my home office, and occasionally even my SMB via cellular modem Internet connection!

And of course, being a husband and dad!

Oh, and in reference to Brent's photos above, I was having breakfast at my local diner today and two guys from the local SWAT team came in dressed in full kit, as in the pics above, but in plainclothes. Tactical vests, leg holsters, the whole bit (no rifles though). Was a bit disconcerting to see them wander in dressed as such, until we could see the big "POLICE" lettering on the back of their vests. Even our waitress was a bit worried at first.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #14

This is great reading already!!

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #15

Garage

I am a paleontologist with a geology degree. I've worked for museums in Flagstaff AZ, Dinosaur Nat Monument, Utah for 20 years, now for the Utah Geological Survey. I spend a LOT of time outdoors exploring and looking for bone. I'm called a Preparator, the guys that dig the fossils up and prepare them for collections and research and exhibit. So my hands are on dinosaur bones and other fossils most of the time.

I can't tell you how many times since I first became aware of Sportsmobiles that I wished I owned one and was using them on the job and out for play. I am kind of obsessed actually, but fortunately it was my wife, Margaret, who got me going on SMB and wants one as bad as I do. We almost scored one a year ago from Truckee but the damn banks and credit unions would not work with us. I got the highest credit score this one gal had ever seen and they still would not finance the value of the SMB!, only that of the van itself. Or charge outrageous interest. No thanks, how do you think I got that high credit score? So we wait until the right moment until we have cash on hand and the right opportunity. I hate waiting.

So does anyone on this forum have access to large heavy lift helicopters? I mean the Chinook-type that can pick up 20,000 pounds. This is my current challenge. I'm going to try and attach a link here to the story. Private companies have so far not come through for us and the military is rather busy in Afghanistan, but hopefully someone is working nearby who can give us a quick lift. I am betting our block of rock and bone weighs more than 5 tons.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25546101

Hoping to meet you all on the road soon in our probably used E350, RB50, V10 gas with not too many miles, please.
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #16

Retired.

I was a mechanical/electrical/optical/chemical engineer. We designed and manufactured a line of chemical analysis instruments. I primarily worked on 7000 psi pumps, UV optical detectors and sample handling systems.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #17

Garage

i work as a universal tech for black box network services at hp. i dont really do anything cool or beneficial for the world, like some of the others that have posted before me. hell we cant even get my wife knocked up to become a dad. so basically, im a nobody doing pretty much nothing, just waiting for the weekends to go play and enjoy time with my wife and friends

good thread topic though. these are always good for a read. its interesting how different we all are, but we are all drawn together by the van life
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #18

Retired and my better half is a school psychologist that loves to travel. We're in our build process after traveling to the Great North last year and learning that tent camping might be in our past. 2006 E350 - Advanced 4x4 conversion - SMB West penthouse top - Aluminess rear bumper/deluxe box and Trail Ready front - self rescue equipped.
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Geomorphologist. I study the effects of dams on rivers. Which means I do a lot of boating with lots of expensive gear on board.
Attached Thumbnails
flip.jpg   122mile-resized.jpg   Granite.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #20

I'll keep my response short since it is boring, especially when compared to a lot of you. I do software/application development, specializing in the healthcare space.