Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #11

Garage
Re: What's a good angle grinder?

We use cold cut saws at work all the time. We have thrown out all our abrasive saws. We buy Pro-point ones which are on the cheaper end of the spectrum but they still perform admirably.

Once you try a cold cut saw, you'll never go back. It cuts steel like butter and has a perfectly clean and square edge. It's pretty incredible actually...

ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #12

I knew I was asking the right people! So much good info.

I looked at the Metabo website, and it looks like they make great stuff, and their reputation is stellar everywhere I look. I'll get to Lowe's tomorrow and "see one with my hands." But it's probably more tool than what I'll need.

Today I got to HD and looked at DeWalt, Makita and Milwaukee.

No paddle switches on the DeWalts they had, but what bugged me most was the way the shield was adjusted with an ungainly lever clamp. Seems like I'd have to put the tool down and use both hands to move the shield. There was a lower-end DeWalt that had a "OneTouch" shield adjustment, but the rest of it was less machine than I am looking for.

The Makitas had the worst shield adjustment. They needed a screwdriver to adjust the shield. I did like the paddle trigger's safety catch, which seemed like it would be easy to work with gloves on.

Of what they had, I like the Milwaukees the best. It felt the best in my hands, had a tool-less shield adjustment, and needed no tools to change discs. The paddle safety catch wasn't quite as nice as the Makita's. The placard said that it had a lock-on switch for the paddle, but I couldn't make it lock (which is good...I don't think I want a lock-on after watching that video). Maybe it has to be running to lock?

Other cool things it had was the soft start, which I have on my Makita multi tool. That's nice. And if the power is cut with the switch on, it won't restart when the power is reapplied.

The one they had that I liked was this one: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6146-30

At $99, it was less than what I was expecting to pay. Seems like a good deal. ToolBarn.com has it for the same price plus shipping.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #13

photographix: Thanks for the reconnaissance and report. I will definitely consider the Milwaukee before next purchase. As far as the shield on the Makita's go, I am not saying it is the right thing to do, but I immediately took the shields off, so I have never had to adjust them.

I have a white 3M helmet with ear muffs and a flip up clear face shield that I use for hand or bench grinding. Don't buy a grinder without it. Glasses alone won't protect your eyes. I wear glasses and I have an old pair which I use for my construction/welding adventures and every pit in the lenses is something that could otherwise have gotten into my eye.

Costco recently had a three-pack of full grain leather gloves (yellow color) for $20. I like those the best of the cheap gloves. The long gauntlet H.F. split leather gloves are good, but split leather simply does not hold up as long as full grain leather in my experience.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #14

Makita.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #15

So, today, I got the Milwaukee model I mentioned earlier. Awesome machine. It doesn't have variable speeds, but after using it a little bit, I think I probably didn't really need it.

I went to 2 Lowe's stores here in ABQ, but neither had any Metabos. I also went to 2 Home Depots, but only one had the Milwaukee I wanted in stock. The HD website says they are only sold online, which obviously isn't true.

Anyway, I used a 1/16" Diablo metal cutting wheel and it went through 1" square steel tube like a hot knife through butter. Also shortened angle brackets in less than 30 seconds. I also used a Diablo grinding wheel to smooth down some welds I had to remove. Made the whole project easy as pie/cake/ABC. I'm glad I got a 4.5" over a 4". It doesn't seem like much on the spec sheets, but that extra 1/4" of reach makes a difference.

It DOES have the lock-on paddle switch, and I am pretty sure that power has to be applied for it to work. I can't make the paddle lock on without it being plugged in and running first. It's okay, though a little scary. I suppose I'll get used to it, and may even begin to like it. Working the safety catch is pretty easy with leather gloves on. I didn't test the Line Lock-out feature.

It came with a pin wrench to change disks, which I used each time today, being a complete n00b to angle grinders. When I get more experience, I'll try doing tool-less changes.

The push-button safety guard adjustment feature is great. Not quite a one-handed operation, but it will probably loosen up a little with use. I'm glad I chose a grinder with that.

@E350: I also picked up a 3M face shield for $14. The polycarbonate visor is so crystal clear that I had to double-check that I had the shield down in front of my face! I ended up doubling up with safety glasses plus the face shield "just to be sure"! After using the tool, I should have brought my ear plugs with me today. Next time I'll know.

I used some $2 leather generic gloves today, and they worked fine. Next time I'm at Costco I'll check out their leather glove deal if they have it.

To all: Thanks for everyone's opinions and comments. Your help was, well, helpful!

Todd
Old 06-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #16

Re: What's a good angle grinder? Safety Update!

Todd: I used my Makita 4.5" slide switch angle grinder with a H.F. cutoff wheel yesterday to start cutting off some welds of 1/4" x 3" angle joined to 1/4" x 6" x 2" box on my utility trailer. Couple of things:

1. Don't take off the wheel guard or the side handle especially when using a cutoff wheel. Here's why. You use the end/edge of a cutoff wheel to cut metal. It is the same thing as using the tip of a chainsaw (to be avoided) to cut wood. While a chainsaw has a chain brake to avoid injury from "kickback," an angle grinder does not. But an angle grinder with a cut off wheel is ALWAYS subject to kickback because you're always using the "tip" of the wheel. According to those who know, I shouldn't be using H.F. cutoff wheels because they are more likely to fragment than professional wheels. I will say this, if you drop your grinder with a cutoff wheel on it, replace the cut off wheel because it WILL fragment.

2. I dropped my angle grinder (due to kickback) with a cutoff wheel on it. The wheel later fragmented when I used it. I was glad I was wearing personal protective apparel.

3. When I dropped my angle grinder it did not turn off, rather it pinballed all over the place hitting my boot and running over the cord until I grabbed it. Boot and cord are fine, but the paddle switch was a good call IMO. No injuries but I thought this stuff was worth noting in your thread.

4. If you are not wearing a long sleeve shirt (recommended), use long gauntlet gloves. I used the ones from H.F. yesterday. They are not very dextrous but they provide the added protection while grinding. I like the Costo gloves, but only if you are wearing a long sleeve shirt.

5. If space permits, turn the angle grinder so that the kickback will go down rather than up towards your face.

6. Not all the flying flaming metal will fly in a straight line. Yesterday, some flew up under my face mask hitting my glasses which are not safety glasses. I would like to get some prescription safety glasses. (You need ear protection, not just because of loudness of the grinding process, but because have you ever had a hot piece of flaming metal fly into your ear? I have...) Here is the all 3M Helmet, Face Shield and Ear Muffs which I put together. (It is the white one below.) I highly recommend it. (I wonder if 3M sells a chin guard for it?)

But I like the neck protection that this Honeywell chin shield would provide:

http://www.salisburybyhoneywell.com/en- ... d_neck.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01416 -lq.jpg   51zET4nlpbL__SL1000_ - lq.jpg  
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #17

My advice after an injury is to wear long gloves and long sleeves that overlap even when you are stretching. If the grinder jumps out of your hands you want to ensure you are covered. Thankfully I healed.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #18

ANZAC: Let me first be a smartass: It is true, I usually put my gloves on after I have nicked a finger! I did that two weeks ago when I cut the stupid 1 7/8" hitch coupler off the other trailer. Familiarity results in a lack of caution for the dimwitted like me.

Now, everything you said is true. Thank you. I think admitting and explaining injuries and suggesting ways to avoid them will probably be the most helpful part of this thread.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #19

In my case I was using a wire brush on a grinder, but I failed to notice that when I stretched out there was some exposed skin. Of course the grinder leapt towards the exposed skin like a magnet.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

E350: Sorry to hear about your mishap and am glad you didn't lose any body parts or fluids.

Good tip about the kickback and analogy of the chain saw tip. I guess it would also be a good idea to arrange the the tool to the work so that if the grinder catches (like when cutting pipe), the rotation of the wheel will pull the grinder away from me.

I have no intention of removing the guard, except that the manual says to take it off when using a wire cup brush.

I got away with wearing a t-shirt yesterday, but I could feel the particles hitting me. Long sleeves from now on. And I like your face guard with the ear muffs.

It can be a dangerous tool if not handled right, but which one isn't? My dad's 1970 Craftsman radial arm saw gave me nightmares as a kid.