Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Who has the biggest helper cat?

Our big guy is 22.6#

Here's a picture with his feeding tube from when he was veeerrrrry sick with 'Fatty Liver Disease'. $5000 in vet bills.

Here he is in his natural pose.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Re: Who has the biggest helper cat?

Scribbles was 18 lbs at her heaviest, but she's lost a lot of weight and gained back a lot of kitten playfulness. We switched her to an all wet food diet- very slowly weaning her from dry food. The change is amazing.

Here she is helping with the laundry:

And this year's Taxes...

And here she was trying to sneak a ride in the SMB (not the best hiding place for that!)...

She still has a budda belly, but that kind of runs in the family!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #3

Our Bengal cat keeps his weight in check and thus only weighs 14 lbs:

...and knows that he can take a nap on the dash while camping but not driving:

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #4

I forgot to mention, his name is Fatso.

After we nursed him back to health, we gave the vet a bottle of wine - Fat Cat wine! She thought that was great!

Jeremiah, what brand of wet food do you feed your cat? I'd like to get his weight down to 18 lbs or so.

Jack, too bad you couldn't (or didn't) bring your Bengal to the Dream Machines Show. We would like to have met him.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #5

The only thing she will eat is Friskies with cut pieces of meat, not pate. Ideally we would like to get her on something less processed, but when we first switched out her food she vomited a lot. Later when we just cut the dry food all at once it made her violently ill too, so we gradually cut down on the dry food meals and snacks and gave her a bit of wet instead, less often. She handled the gradual change wonderfully and doesn't seem to miss the dry food at all.

She gets a can and a half of the Friskies- a little less than a 1/2 can breakfast lunch, dinner, and then a teaspoon for a "night bite". Our biggest concern at this point is that when we leave for the weekend we can no longer dish out the mega bowl of dry and let her fend for herself. Luckily we have a neighbor now that will take care of her when we're gone.

I highly recommend you talk to REF- Rick and his wife are the ones who encouraged us to try this and they're very knowledgeable.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The only thing she will eat is Friskies with cut pieces of meat, not pate. Ideally we would like to get her on something less processed, but when we first switched out her food she vomited a lot. Later when we just cut the dry food all at once it made her violently ill too, so we gradually cut down on the dry food meals and snacks and gave her a bit of wet instead, less often. She handled the gradual change wonderfully and doesn't seem to miss the dry food at all.

She gets a can and a half of the Friskies- a little less than a 1/2 can breakfast lunch, dinner, and then a teaspoon for a "night bite". Our biggest concern at this point is that when we leave for the weekend we can no longer dish out the mega bowl of dry and let her fend for herself. Luckily we have a neighbor now that will take care of her when we're gone.

I highly recommend you talk to REF- Rick and his wife are the ones who encouraged us to try this and they're very knowledgeable.
I always believed in dry food only for my Cat "Midnight" but recently was extremely dehydrated and refused to drink any water. I switched to wet mainly with the dry out for snacks. He's now on wet food and he's back..to 15lbs; I think 14lbs is optimal.
With canned wet food, I usually add water to it since he's a licker and comes back later to finish it off.
Thought old age was getting to him. He's approaching 12yrs old. He's always curious and wants in the Sporto..everytime I open the cargo door!

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Tiger is one very big cat. Here's a comparison with him laying next to Bob. Bob (14 lbs) is an average size cat.

The most he's ever weighted was 22.5 lbs. The Vet thought that was a couple pounds overweight. The problem was that when I'll leave to go camping I'd just put out a parcel of food. No way to regulate his diet. So I got a automatic pet feeder from www.autopetfeeder.com

I can't say enough good things about the feeder. I set it to dispense food 7 times a day. Less food at each meal means their stomachs will shrink and they will feel full with smaller portions. After a year's use they each lost 2 pounds and are at optimum weight.

There's other side benefits. It took a while but they figured out there's no use crying for food since I don't provide it anymore. The machine does. No more crying at 6:00am to be feed. If I want them to come inside I just wait till the machine starts dispensing, and making it's noise, then open the front door. They come running. There was also a marked decrease in litter box usage. It has battery backup so no worries if the power goes off while I'm away. As long as it doesn't stay off for a day or more but my neighbor knows to come over and feed them if that happens.

If you buy one from the web page go to Products -> Discounts -> Reconditioned. These models are as good as new and with a big discount.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

Merlin our Bengal cat weighs 20lbs and is way too big for the breed. He is really long and tall and is seen here checking out the Mojave National Preserve. We just started traveling with him and find it adds to the adventure. Cats can be a real challenge!
Attached Thumbnails
Merlin Prowls the Mojave.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #9

With these giant cats, it's no wonder so many SMBs need Deaver springs!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #10

It certainly is a wonderful forum when users can discuss anything from cats to best places to buy fudge in Hyder to actual Sportsmobile issues.

Thanks to all who participate and keep it within family boundaries.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper