Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #1

Yosemite big wall climbing (link w/ prose & photos)

This is for sdwindandsea and dave_in_delaware:

http://www.bigwalls.com/forum2/index...icseen#msg3071

And perhaps anyone wondering "how the ropes get up there." Sorry about the jargon, but I'm sure the context will help fill in the gaps.

Our van got me there from Orange County and housed me (legally, outside NP boundary, of course) while I prepped for the climb. Gotta say that the comfy (even in my primitive interior) made it extra difficult to cut ties with flat ground. Ha-man, my dirtbag brethren are giving me some funny looks these days. "No dents or duct tape? WTF, dude...trustafarian?"

Cheers.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #2

Great post and very impressive & beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. It makes my rock climbing days seem like I was playing around on a kid's jungle gym. I did have the opportunity to do a lot of climbing at Yosemite, Smith Rock and Squamish in the mid 90's, but nothing comparable to what you are doing. The most multi pitch climing I've ever done is 8 pitches and it was only 5.8. At least it was traditional though.

Geoff
Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

Alright, Geoff! You know what it's about.

Cool, man...Smith, Squish, Yo...you did it up! I hope to make it up more north sometime. PNW (Smith, Index) and north of the border are all-time destinations (as you know).

I honestly think I enjoy the easier climbs more. Soloing, and especially aid, is just not too relaxing. Why do we do it?? Certainly not "because it's there"...must be some deep-seated defect. We did North Ridge of Mt. Conness (5.6, grade III) last weekend and just loved every inch of it. And it kicked our asses!

Why did you stop? There are so many spectacular outings to be had at every level...class 3 peaks, ad infinitum. And not far from you in SD. Heck, head up to Idyllwild in <2hrs. You can tag up with us at Tahquitz if you feel like getting back to it. We love the easy stuff there. Maybe head over to one of the Solid Rock gyms in SD/Poway to re-break the ice--?

Cheers in any case. Sorry, man, you got me going off there!

Mike
Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #4

Mike - I climbed a lot back in the early 90's. Spend a lot of time on the hard boulder routes on Mt Woodsen learning from some friends, along with a bunch of other spots in San Diego county. I even used to do laps along a wall in La Jolla cove a couple times a week to stay in shape. I stopped climbing for a couple reasons. First, my two friends I climbed with both moved. Secondly, and probably the more legitimate reason is that my wife isn't a climber. We really enjoy doing activities together (surfing, kayaking, hiking, etc) and I found that I didn't have enough time to keep up with climbing. Especially since I lost a lot of the strength needed if I didn't keep up with the training.

I know it is kind of a lame excuse but I still love following it. Who knows, I may get back into it again some day, especially if time permits. Regardless, I still follow the stories and achievements of others and I love living vicariously through them .
Old 08-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #5

Sounds like you had the bug and a good edge, Geoff. That Woodson stuff is spanker central. When you get good there, you're honed.

Ten-four on your direction. You've got to follow your heart. The rock will probably be there if and when you decide to pull down again.

Cheers.