Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Your GPS Is Wrong

Just went to a great talk by John Huth, a physics prof at Harvard University (and former chair of the dept.) on a very non-physics topic, his book The Lost Art of Finding Our Way. A few digs at GPS, including this photo and the suggestion to Google "Your GPS is Wrong" The book is on my short list for this summer's reading.
Attached Thumbnails
360finance_sat_nav_rage.jpg  

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Yep, we always seem to find something high tech to add to our lives. Even most of my telescopes use GPS. The phone craze is worse IMO. I still don't have a smart phone...yet.
Attached Thumbnails
09SUBPEABODY1-A - Copy.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I still don't have a smart phone...yet.
Don't do it Dave!
I am into my first week of smart phone. It rings, you press a button and it asks: "do you agree to have us send you adds with the data you pay for? Press OK" So I press OK. Then "Do you agree we can monetize everything you have ever created?" I press OK. By then the caller has hung up.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I'd rather stay smartphoneless than having to give up on GPS.

I'd be interested the path the book takes though. Sounds like it will be a good read.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
I still don't have a smart phone...yet.
Add me to that list----if there's a "forever" division I hope to be at the top of that list!

I don't know a single friend and "smart" phone user who doesn't have some sort of rather large issue with it. Granted most times its user/operator error but the depth and number of included features seems to make owning a wireless phone more of a competition (with the device) than a real convenience. Do you hear that Siri?

I'm NOT a techno-phobe but do tend to quickly recognize when something new would be more a hassle than useful to my daily life. I tend to believe all-in-one devices sacrifice features more useful that are available in a dedicated device such as a good quality GPS.

Just my $0.02 worth ya know.................
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. At least I can play Crossy Road when all else fails.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Garage
What's the problems y'all are having with GPS? Mine works fine and enhances my experiences, used in numerous devices. As a serious road cyclist I use my Garmin 500 to track my rides and the files appear on my computer interpreted by Strava site on a map overlay showing speed, altitude, timing and more. My vehicles have GPS driven nav systems which seem to be quite accurate. Even my iPhone is about as accurate using similar apps.

If your phone is asking you questions when you are receiving a call, it is setup incorrectly. Sure, there is WAY more technology and far too many features and apps than most of us will ever use. Just use the ones you understand and forget there rest.

Uh, hold on, gotta go, someone is texting me......
Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
If your phone is asking you questions when you are receiving a call, it is setup incorrectly.
I was just kidding. It has been shocked how many permissions the apps want.

I have gone from a flip phone to buying everything. The best so far is the Delorme satellite tracker.

The phone thing I have been trying I guess is a newer thing. I say OK google, take me to ... In the next few days I will be looking for what happens when I loose cell service.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Yes but I don't know what the stab at GPS was cause I haven't read the book.

I do know I had a group of elderly people in a car follow me on a trail that required 4x4 further on. When I pulled over they passed me up. I figured they totally knew the terrain or were following the GPS. On my Garmin it said the name of the highway ahead of us and if I entered find Sequoia NP it said to continue on the path we were on. They stopped ahead where 4x4 was required but were forced to do a multi point turn around in slick conditions. I don't think the book is about that but so many blindly follow those things and although you can poke fun at some situations, other can be dangerous if you're not prepared.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes but I don't know what the stab at GPS was
Me neither, but it is at the library so I will see it pretty soon. Just takes a while to get it transferred to my branch. Just like i am checking out all the GPS solutions this looks like a good education to add. It is reviewed everywhere, even the NY times