Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #71

Hard to follow the Shaggin Wagon but here's some more pics of mine. A couple side shots and also a shot of the switch placement for the S Pod I also recently added. I wanted it be be as well integrated and clean as possible and this seemed to work best. I'm currently using exactly one switch but hope to be adding more soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2572.jpg   IMG_2573.jpg   IMG_2575.jpg  

Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #72

Looks great Whit!

Oh yeah, those are side pipes. The Shaggin’ Wagon lives in my town. I ride my bike by his house on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #73

That spod looks like a factory option. Very nice!
Old 03-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #74

Thanks, yea I'm happy with how it turned out. I wired my bumper lights and it makes the job soooo much easier than having to run wires into the cab every time. Worth looking into for anyone planning on adding a number of different accessory items that will need switches.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #75
MSD

Garage
Wow! That is one fine rig, and those graphic are "off the chain" as the kids say...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #76

Ha, thanks! Yep trying to freshen the brand up a bit. I think “off the chain” is something we were shooting for.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #77

Garage

Yeah, one fine looking rig.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #78

Been awhile... a few updates to add. I recently added another couple inches of lift to the van via new, re-indexed front torsion keys and an added 2" block to the rear from Weldtec. With a little bit of trimming I am now running 285/70 x 17 tires. Another addition and significant improvement to the rear end ride was the double negative overload springs from Weldtec in place of the one large standard GM platform spring. Some further bulleted notes below:

torsion key lift: Bought them from Ready Lift. If anyone out there is interested the keys on my van were the same ones used in the latest model Hummer H2s as well as some Silverados. GM part number 15657374. I realize that the main concern in doing this is making sure that the control arm and drive shaft angles don't get all wonky and bind up. At this point the drive shafts are basically parallel to the ground and the control arms still appear to have plenty of travel left. The plus side is that the van is now up off the front bump stops a little bit rather than just sitting on them. It has more down travel now and soaks up bumps a bit better.

double negative overload springs: I was considering whether or not to do this and Jeremy talked me into it. I'm glad he did! The only real complaint I had about the van was that unloaded it was a little harsh in the rear. Not so anymore. It really cruises over dips and bumps and just incredible smooth for a 3500 van. Frankly it rides as good as any truck or SUV I can remember riding in that wasn't a German model riding on air on 4 corners. I'm thrilled. I have not loaded it down since this change so I'm interested to see now how much it will squat and how it will handle heavy loads. I do carry 2000 lb loads from time to time as well as pull a 9-10K lb travel trailer. It may be too squishy now for that sort of business but I'll likely find out in the next couple of weeks. If so then I may add air bags. Not sure. As a daily driver and for family trips now though, the improvement is very noticeable and totally worth it.

Tires: After putting about 45K miles on a set of 265/70x17 BFG KO2s it was time to get another set. Frankly I could've gone a bit longer but winter is starting here in Oregon and to me that isn't the time to be on the tail end of a set of tires. I wanted to go with something that was a little better in the snow and rain (the KO2s were fine but I thought I could do better) so after some research I went with General Grabber ATXs. They have more siping than the KO2s and have gotten good winter weather reviews and good reviews in general. I've only had them for a week, but my first impressions are good. I went over the pass last weekend in a pretty good snow storm and the traction was good. They ride nicely and are at least as quite as the KO2s. I'll check in later with more of an impression once Ive been able to put some more miles on them. Again they are a 285/70x17 which to me looks about right for one of the short wheelbase vans like mine.

Trimming the fenders: I have 0 offset rims which makes a big difference I think. Any negative offset at this size probably wouldn't work. As it is a just had to trim off a bit of the fiberglass inner of the front fenders as well as a bit of the plastic lining. Easy quick work and you can't even tell from just looking that I did anything. The biggest challenge is the perch for one of the body mounts that the GM vans have inside where the wheel turns in. Tires of this size hit it. So, I pulled out the angle grinder and trimmed off what is essentially some of the front flange that is under the perch. I noticed Weldtec had done that in one photo so I figured I'd give it a go. There is still a lot of material there underneath, on the back end of it, and there are other mounts both front and back that are close so I figure it'll be just fine. Its done, we'll find out. I did hit the area I cut with some rattle can black truck bed liner to keep it from rusting. I'll continue to add some more coats to it.

Pictures would help a lot I know. I'll try and grab some this weekend and post them up. The van has been great after two years of ownership. No issues other than a replaced DEF heating element under warranty when I first got it and an weeping oil pan seal also replaced under warranty. Runs and pulls strong, gets reasonable fuel economy, and is just easy to live with in general.

All for now....
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #79

Garage
Sounds great. Yes, need photos. I'd like to hear how you like the tires after you've had them for a wile.

Weldtec trimmed the body mount perches on mine as well. My front tires rub the rear part of the wheel wells sometimes on big bumps with the tires turned. I need the Weldtec mini fenders.

Thanks for posting.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #80
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Sounds great. Yes, need photos. I'd like to hear how you like the tires after you've had them for a wile.

Weldtec trimmed the body mount perches on mine as well. My front tires rub the rear part of the wheel wells sometimes on big bumps with the tires turned. I need the Weldtec mini fenders.

Thanks for posting.
The WeldTec mini fenders are a nice option, but honestly, trimming the stock fiberglass ones worked out awesome on my van. I used a Sharpie to mark what I wanted trimmed, then when at it with a flap disk on an angle grinder. I then used a heat gun to reshape the plastic splash shield. It came out really nice, and no more rubbing.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote

« 2014 rb50 | Hi. »