Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #101
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Awesome outcome of this project---I'm highly impressed with the whole thing. As a demonstration of a concept you're showing possibilities previously not considered or envisioned.

It does occur to me this approach using a service body on an E-Series cutaway chassis could be a near-perfect solution between a full E-Series van body and the Transit's. The other upside is those components are still available new and from that POV going this direction would greatly reduce the hunting for a suitable bare chassis/body to begin an adventure van project.

Great work and execution here too.
Tx for the kind words JWA. The basic design has been thought about for quite a few years. Service body rig with or without a pop top was the goal.

I originally wanted an 18" high custom poptop but didn't think id find a manufacturer. When i couldnt find one online i put the idea on the backburner and just kept with basic service body build out. I didn't consider the CCV topsas it was taller than i wanted but after consideration of the extra space and additional bed it would provide (and CCV's willingness to tackle the project!) i had to go for it.

And yes, agreed. Great execution without a doubt. Having the talented teams accessible to create these visions is where the real talent lies here. Agile and CCV are talented folks and very good at what they do. That goes for Aluminess and Ujoint as well.

I agree with all the points you made. The "new" e350 cutaways are still readily available. As are the service bodies. I believe Stahl still makes them amongst one or two other manufacturer's (?). The Utility bodies side to side at the widest point is 7' so theres plenty of room for two full size beds in the rig. THey're tough, not that heavy, and i've been repeatedly told the metal is much thicker than on a standard van body which has made additional interior roof supports unnecessary. All in all a great platform to build out on.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #102
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
+1 on twoxentrix's comments. Looks fantastic and you obviously have given it a lot of thought. Use sometimes changes thoughts.
Tx Marret! yes years of thought in fact. hahaa... I know that was a rather long winded description of the exterior but at the bottom i stated i am definitely going to get the rig out a few times before committing to any permanent designs.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote