Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #101
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Awesome outcome of this project---I'm highly impressed with the whole thing. As a demonstration of a concept you're showing possibilities previously not considered or envisioned.

It does occur to me this approach using a service body on an E-Series cutaway chassis could be a near-perfect solution between a full E-Series van body and the Transit's. The other upside is those components are still available new and from that POV going this direction would greatly reduce the hunting for a suitable bare chassis/body to begin an adventure van project.

Great work and execution here too.
Tx for the kind words JWA. The basic design has been thought about for quite a few years. Service body rig with or without a pop top was the goal.

I originally wanted an 18" high custom poptop but didn't think id find a manufacturer. When i couldnt find one online i put the idea on the backburner and just kept with basic service body build out. I didn't consider the CCV topsas it was taller than i wanted but after consideration of the extra space and additional bed it would provide (and CCV's willingness to tackle the project!) i had to go for it.

And yes, agreed. Great execution without a doubt. Having the talented teams accessible to create these visions is where the real talent lies here. Agile and CCV are talented folks and very good at what they do. That goes for Aluminess and Ujoint as well.

I agree with all the points you made. The "new" e350 cutaways are still readily available. As are the service bodies. I believe Stahl still makes them amongst one or two other manufacturer's (?). The Utility bodies side to side at the widest point is 7' so theres plenty of room for two full size beds in the rig. THey're tough, not that heavy, and i've been repeatedly told the metal is much thicker than on a standard van body which has made additional interior roof supports unnecessary. All in all a great platform to build out on.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #102
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
+1 on twoxentrix's comments. Looks fantastic and you obviously have given it a lot of thought. Use sometimes changes thoughts.
Tx Marret! yes years of thought in fact. hahaa... I know that was a rather long winded description of the exterior but at the bottom i stated i am definitely going to get the rig out a few times before committing to any permanent designs.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #103
KDB

Oooookay, what a wonderful blur this has all been. So i flew out to Denver Monday and picked up the rig. Poptop! Wow!...and a lot of it. CCV did a great job with the top. Really looking forward to getting some good use out of that. The Ujoint bumper came out great and fits really well. The ridgid lights look awesome and work very well. Side steps along the back look and feel very solid. THough they're not big and i'll likely eat it off of those one day they are extremly low profile and just what i wanted.

So I didn't have too much time to play on the way home... Drove 7-8 hrs the first day after getting the rig. I made it to Park City Utah. AND THEN!...That following morning i happened to stumble across this trail which made for a great hour or so of playing around and getting some great pics on a famous stretch of dirt road, The California Trail. I had no idea it even existed. Literally pulled off the interstate and happened to find this great stretch of trail that paralleled the road. No pics with the top up but that'll come soon as i'm off to baja in a few days! What a great break in of the vehicle!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190403_180445.jpg   IMG_20190402_211345.jpg   IMG_20190402_201038.jpg   IMG_20190402_194241.jpg   IMG_20190402_201247.jpg  

IMG_20190402_211912.jpg   IMG_20190403_180150.jpg   IMG_20190402_085159927_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190402_084137930_HDR.jpg  
Old 04-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #104
Site Team

Wow, that turned out even better than I imagine it would, the bumper included. The fold up access steps on the driver's side are a nice touch too.

Herb
Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #105

Garage
Sure did.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #106

If KDB is on the prowl, I had some questions about the bumper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
The Aluminess (Siberian Tiger) bumper was a perfect fit to the back end of the van. It was only option that worked without going complete custom.
There was some mounting fabrication that needed to take place to accommodate it but it was apparently pretty straight forward.
Poking around on Aluminess' site, all of their rear bumpers looked identical... F-series (New & old), E-series, Excursion... Pretty much the only bumper that was "Wow, that's different!" was the Transit's, and I'm not sure if I'd trust that bumper to stop a bicyclist, much less a motorcycle, car, or tree.

Going to Google and searching, "Aluminess tiger bumper" was totally fruitless...

Where can you find these bumpers for sale?

Anyways.. I've been quietly lurking as this thread progressed- Love the way it turned out!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #107
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Wow, that turned out even better than I imagine it would, the bumper included. The fold up access steps on the driver's side are a nice touch too.

Herb
Thanks, Herb...Yeah CCV did a nice job of mounting both the steps and the awning. They had to modify the brackets to create a proper fit to the angled portion of the roof. Both the steps and awning brackets having some thick backing plate that CCV had powder coated black. All very stable and solid.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #108
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
If KDB is on the prowl, I had some questions about the bumper...

Poking around on Aluminess' site, all of their rear bumpers looked identical... F-series (New & old), E-series, Excursion... Pretty much the only bumper that was "Wow, that's different!" was the Transit's, and I'm not sure if I'd trust that bumper to stop a bicyclist, much less a motorcycle, car, or tree.

Going to Google and searching, "Aluminess tiger bumper" was totally fruitless...

Where can you find these bumpers for sale?

Anyways.. I've been quietly lurking as this thread progressed- Love the way it turned out!
Tx Offroading! I have had other individuals interested pm me about the bumper. One person reached out to Aluminess direct and was told they didn't have one available. It seems to be a one off custom bumper made exclusively for the Tiger Siberian. I believe i may have gotten one that had been laying around and didn't make it to a Siberian production rig. I've seen other Siberian rigs that do not have this bumper. On this rig is the one that i have. It's got some nice features and a good amount of storage. Two small openings on the ends of the bumper and one larger compartment at the top center.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (103).jpg   IMG-4432.jpg  
Old 04-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #109
Site Team

Just putting this out here, a service body on a Transit. Note that the Transit is a dually however. No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Transi...-/163593137150

Herb
Old 04-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #110

Herb, if you're looking for feedback I say yes, you should do it.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote