Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #51
KDB

I like the aluminess nerfbars. They seem would pair well with the body style of the van. I'd like to see the weldtecs in more than the one photo on their website but haven't been able to find any. Has anyone had any experience using the Weldtec's? The box sliders seem a bit tighter into the body and would probably snug right up underneath the rear body of the van.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #52

awesome rig. Saw it on Agile's instagram. Really really nice!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 AM   #53

Garage
Weldtec Designs are rock sliders that attached to the frame. Brackets are welded on and then the sliders attach to them.

Check out this thread, especially around post 75:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/for....188815/page-5

Aluminess are bolted to the body and pinch welds.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #54
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Weldtec Designs are rock sliders that attached to the frame. Brackets are welded on and then the sliders attach to them.

Check out this thread, especially around post 75:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/for....188815/page-5

Aluminess are bolted to the body and pinch welds.
Tx Flux! Marrett, Weldtec's sliders look great. As bronco pointed out there is a chance i could tweak the external compartment doors. Something i hadn't really thought about. I have given some thought towards nerf bars for step purposes. Again, i'm not too aggressive of an offroader: Baja, Tahoe, Big Sur fire roads, etc. That said im sure the vehicle could definitely benefit from some type of protection. I'm not sure if sliders are necessary for my use. The nerfbars could serve that purpsose. THoughts on that? I do like the weldtec sliders. I was hoping someone might have some additional pics of their box sliders. Cant seem to find any beyond their website pic.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #55
Site Team

Weldtec is on this forum, so maybe reach out to them directly.

Herb
Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
This is going to be a very cool, very unique rig. Any plans for sliders? I would hate for the doors to the storage areas to get tweaked.

Herb
Mike from Xtreme Fab has made a few sets for a few members. Ask Gooseberry how well they protected his van in the rocks where he shouldn’t have been...
Photo here on Tien’s van:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...n-19339-6.html

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #57

Aluminess sliders aren't really sliders. They are just steps. IMO they are the best looking but not a lot of protection there. One high-center will likely send them up in to the body. Don't assume they are anything even close to the strength of what Weldtec is selling.

The van is looking amazing. More interior pics please!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #58

Garage
As 86Scotty said, the Aluminess nerf bars are not sliders. They are steps that bolt to the van body. I'd also be concerned about body damage if the nerf bars hit something. Contact could send them up into the body up as 86Scotty mentioned.

Really up to you whether you need sliders based on where you will take the van.

It really is looking great. Look forward to seeing how you do the interior.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #59
KDB

Tx 86, Merret. Im eagerly awaiting the return of the van from Agile as you can imagine. It'll be gone for around another month right after that so i'll make sure to snap quite a few pics of the interior to facilitate some design ideas and to share here.

As i hadn't really given much thought to sliders i should probably take a closer look. At the very least some steps will be needed. I'll give Weldtec a call this week. I haven't heard back from Ujoint yet either. He responded briefly in email but didn't advise on how to order. I think his new bumpers look really nice. Hopefully i'll be able to make that happen over the course of the next month or so.

I will be at a crossroads between dedicating remaining funds for paint or interior. There is some rust developing in one relatively small area on the roof of the cab where it connects with the body so i do need to throw some cash towards cleaning that up and perhaps getting some new paint. Thinking i'll keep it white but bring the tone more towards a light cream. Whether i should do that prior to the interior build out im not sure. I won't have the cash for both in the short term. As we are coming out of winter over the next few months i'm leaning towards putting the dough into the interior to better accommodate some summer adventures.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #60

Garage
Been fun watching your progress this far, but sounds like you just hit a fork in the road. Better to have a fully functional unit that LOOKS REAL GOOD (allowing you to start using it the way you intended) than a GREAT LOOKING RIG with no amenities. Either way you'll eventually end up with one cool build!