Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #91
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescottgivens View Post
This is so cool. I am really curious how UJORS bumper will look on the ttb conversion.. UJOR vans definitely have a great look to them but this one looks pretty great with the stance and styling. Nice work!
Tx TSG...yeah I'm looking forward to the bumper. I know Chris recently hired a bumper guy to assist him so it should hopefully be wrapped up fairly soon.

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #92
Site Team

Absolutely awesome, and with the top popped, that thing is a monster.

So, have you decided what's going in the exterior storage boxes? House batteries, inverter, water tank, heater, dead bodies,...?

Herb
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #93

Thanks. I have narrowed it down to those or the Cooper Max that also have great reviews and a tough sidewall. Let me know your impressions of the tires on a off road once you get a feel for them.

Enjoy!
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #94
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
Thanks. I have narrowed it down to those or the Cooper Max that also have great reviews and a tough sidewall. Let me know your impressions of the tires on a off road once you get a feel for them.

Enjoy!
Eric
Will do, KTM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #95
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Absolutely awesome, and with the top popped, that thing is a monster.

So, have you decided what's going in the exterior storage boxes? House batteries, inverter, water tank, heater, dead bodies,...?

Herb
Hi Bronco, Yes the van looks extremely spacious. It will definitely be a big cavern to build in. I'll spare my thoughts on the interior at the moment but as for the outside....Well, Im trying to keep my weight as balanced as possible. That's a primary overriding factor. So far ive got the house battery in the drivers side front most storage box (already installed by Agile). I still have tons of room in there but that area may service as an electrical storage for various cables, components, smaller solar items, electronics like radios for the kayaks, fish finders, charging cables, etc. Im sure i'll have some additional space in there for a few more items. The inverter comes built into the Kodiak. I'll have two separate solar systems installed on the van. 100w for the house, and 100w for the Kodiak. Allowing me to take a power source where ever i need to for whatever reason. I won't dive into that too much at this point but for me it's all about redundancies. So the box just behind the front most will house 5 gallons of water in a Frontrunner jerry can and holder. In that same drawer above or to the side of the jerry can will be the shower/dish rinser. For that Ive taken the Big Kahuna shower head and pump assembly and refitted it to a 3.5 gallon water brick. Total of 8.5 gallons securely mounted to the interior steel wall in that box. Above that drawer im hoping to have a small privacy awning so that box will also serve as shower and bath station. I may just use a privacy pop tent for that need, however. I could even open both doors, put a curtain between the two, protect the house battery of course, and create a shower spot for a quick rinse. A small mirror and tray for setting soaps, shampoos, etc, will also be in that second box. The Big Kahuna shower will also be used for dishes. I intend to have a dish station table on that side of the van. The Big Kahuna (from my research) is best in it's class for a portable electric shower. I chose the option that does not have the heating element. I wouldn't choose the Big Kahuna as a heated water shower but otherwise it's a great piece of gear and highly recommended for various chores around camp: Shower, dishes, cleaning fish, tables, windows, etc. The rear storage box on the drivers side will be primarily for toys. It'll house a gun rack for spearfishing, hooks for surf gear, fishing gear, kayaking gear, backpacks, and other related items. Onto the the front passenger side... the first box will house the Powertank onboard Co2 system and associated lines, fittings, and air tools, regular tools, etc. The box behind that will house another Front Runner water jerry and mount as well as additional storage for dishes, a stove, and other kitchen and cooking supplies. That door will also house a fold down table that attaches to the door. The long center door on the van also fold down to create our outside cooking/ prep table. The rear storage box on the passenger side will house a small propane tank, propex heater and gas lines running to two separate stove locations: one in the van to the stove that will be located by the rear door, and and one line to the outside of the rig via the long center door of the van that opens to the interior (and that will be used for cooking/prep). I intend to vent that rear storage box either at the floor or put an actual vent on the door itself to allow for any potential leaks to freely escape. There should be some additional room in that storage box for other items as well. What? I don't know yet! Ideally i'd like to have all the storage boxes shelved out and organized. The sticker shock on the interior build out will have me doing this all in increments and some done by myself. The rear bumper storage will be primarily for additional tools, emergency, recovery, etc. On top of that box im thinking of putting another water storage by front runner. THeir 45L. Giving the rig a total water carrying capacity of around 25 gallons. Total fuel at close to 70 gallons. Roof racks on the body as well as a cargo basket and racks over the cab. Wind visor on the front of the basket. Should easily be able to get 3 people out for a week or more without having to resupply as long as we are somewhat conservative with our water use.

Of course this is just a general idea of how the exterior layout will look. Ill likely use the van a few times before committing to any particular layout for the storage boxes.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #96

Garage
Love the look, and your vision - its really going to stand out once you accessorize with the wheels & tires, bumpers, etc.
Sound like you've really put some thought into the build, But I would take it out a couple times so you get a "feel" for what you're proposing - not saying anything is wrong, we all do things a little differently because of our individual interior layout and our priorities. Just suggesting after a couple uses you may amend your initial plans because you find it better suits your needs.
You mentioned a shower enclosure - may look in my album, on the roof rack at the rear of the van I had an aluminum extension made to hold a shower enclosure (easily set up, and adjustable) it might give you some ideas for your set-up.
Enjoy following your progress!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #97

Garage
+1 on twoxentrix's comments. Looks fantastic and you obviously have given it a lot of thought. Use sometimes changes thoughts.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #98

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see more.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:55 AM   #99
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Awesome outcome of this project---I'm highly impressed with the whole thing. As a demonstration of a concept you're showing possibilities previously not considered or envisioned.

It does occur to me this approach using a service body on an E-Series cutaway chassis could be a near-perfect solution between a full E-Series van body and the Transit's. The other upside is those components are still available new and from that POV going this direction would greatly reduce the hunting for a suitable bare chassis/body to begin an adventure van project.

Great work and execution here too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #100
KDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Love the look, and your vision - its really going to stand out once you accessorize with the wheels & tires, bumpers, etc.
Sound like you've really put some thought into the build, But I would take it out a couple times so you get a "feel" for what you're proposing - not saying anything is wrong, we all do things a little differently because of our individual interior layout and our priorities. Just suggesting after a couple uses you may amend your initial plans because you find it better suits your needs.
You mentioned a shower enclosure - may look in my album, on the roof rack at the rear of the van I had an aluminum extension made to hold a shower enclosure (easily set up, and adjustable) it might give you some ideas for your set-up.
Enjoy following your progress!
Tx, TwoX. Sorry to hear about your engine issue. Hope you get that resolved. Yeah im staying pretty flexible with most things interior and exterior. Certainly keeping the weight balanced in the storage boxes will shape how the external storage finishes up.