Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #11

Garage
Here is mine....Weldtec Complete Performance Kit with fiberglass fenders and 35" tires. Very happy with the performance and capabilities of this setup, especially with the ARB locker.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
23795613_1764274533604722_66297270929327385_n.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #12

Out of curiosity, what is the distance from the ground to the bottom edge of your drivers door on your 2wd lift?
Mine is 20” with the 2” lift on 245 75 16 tires.
Attached Thumbnails
7D493C79-49B1-49C9-9829-37F2D00B95D6.jpg  
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #13

Garage
Looks like mine sits in the vicinity of 23.5" (in the same place you measured.)

(Again this is on 285/70R17 tires.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6982.jpg  
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #14

I have the Weldtec setup on mine with 285/65/17 tires I believe.

Stuck photo I self extracted from the beach in Baja

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #15

Ford Econoline Baja Grocery Getter 6" suspension lift kit

Let me know if i can help..... If you want a 4 or 6" kit which is a true 3 or 5" of lift, both are easy to install if you are mechanically inclined. The difference between the 2 kits other then 2" is the 6" kit includes 9" longer radius arms and brackets,( less caster change as the wheel cycles) along with rear blocks,u-bolts and fox shocks.
As to a drop down bracket vs bent i beam well that's easy? There is a difference between usable travel and good travel without huge change in camber due to the drop brackets. With bent i beams it keeps the stock pivot point just corrects the camber at ride height, the camber change is less drastic AT FULL BUMP. All of our beams come with new pivot bushings also.
It may be just jig welded and bent metal but it will out perform any other lift kit.

Scotts van back in the day......

I would love to get you in one of our kits so you can see the difference!
WeldTecDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldTecDesigns View Post
Let me know if i can help..... If you want a 4 or 6" kit which is a true 3 or 5" of lift, both are easy to install if you are mechanically inclined. The difference between the 2 kits other then 2" is the 6" kit includes 9" longer radius arms and brackets,( less caster change as the wheel cycles) along with rear blocks,u-bolts and fox shocks.
As to a drop down bracket vs bent i beam well that's easy? There is a difference between usable travel and good travel without huge change in camber due to the drop brackets. With bent i beams it keeps the stock pivot point just corrects the camber at ride height, the camber change is less drastic AT FULL BUMP. All of our beams come with new pivot bushings also.
It may be just jig welded and bent metal but it will out perform any other lift kit.

Scotts van back in the day......

I would love to get you in one of our kits so you can see the difference!
I really do like your setups. The only tool I don't have is a good welder.

I'm trying to keep cost in line with the intended use. If the cost starts getting too high on a 2wd 6" set up, then I would be better off going with Ujoint (or hitting the junkyard) and fully converting to 4x4. Which I really don't want to do since I have only the 5.4 in my van. With the right gearing it could function OK, but it would still be a sizable load on that motor.

Action and Weldtec are really the only reasonable options. Camburg looks fancy but the cost is too close to a conversion.

My plan on raising the van keeps getting bumped back by my 15yr old son's projects. He's got a 82 BMW track car, and now he's buying and selling 80's Subaru's for extra cash, somehow I end up being his mechanic. LOL
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
Old 11-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #17

Weldtec Designs ford van suspension lift

[QUOTE=winmag4582001;216946]I really do like your setups. The only tool I don't have is a good welder.
The 6" kit does require the radius arm brackets to be welded on which you can have done at a welding shop on your stock van before you do the install at your house. We give you a dimension to locate them. Having the radius arm 9" longer then stock is very beneficial.

I'm trying to keep cost in line with the intended use. If the cost starts getting too high on a 2wd 6" set up, then I would be better off going with Ujoint (or hitting the junkyard) and fully converting to 4x4.
The Weldtec Designs 6" kit is $2500 with FOX shocks compared to the other companys kit @ $2895 then a $189 fox shock upgrade.......
We do offer custom spring in the rear for an additional $1200 if you don't want to run lift blocks.
A 4x4 conversion is 10K ++++++ easy.
Which I really don't want to do since I have only the 5.4 in my van. With the right gearing it could function OK, but it would still be a sizable load on that motor.
Most of our customers do not add gears and run a 285x70x17 tire, however they are nice if you are going to do a locker in the rear at the same time.
WeldTecDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:41 AM   #18

[QUOTE=WeldTecDesigns;216947]
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
I really do like your setups. The only tool I don't have is a good welder.
The 6" kit does require the radius arm brackets to be welded on which you can have done at a welding shop on your stock van before you do the install at your house. We give you a dimension to locate them. Having the radius arm 9" longer then stock is very beneficial.

I'm trying to keep cost in line with the intended use. If the cost starts getting too high on a 2wd 6" set up, then I would be better off going with Ujoint (or hitting the junkyard) and fully converting to 4x4.
The Weldtec Designs 6" kit is $2500 with FOX shocks compared to the other companys kit @ $2895 then a $189 fox shock upgrade.......
We do offer custom spring in the rear for an additional $1200 if you don't want to run lift blocks.
A 4x4 conversion is 10K ++++++ easy.
Which I really don't want to do since I have only the 5.4 in my van. With the right gearing it could function OK, but it would still be a sizable load on that motor.
Most of our customers do not add gears and run a 285x70x17 tire, however they are nice if you are going to do a locker in the rear at the same time.
Free shipping....?
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #19

Jeremy and Weldtec are awesome. Great product. Great service.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #20

Garage
Hey, one last candid comment/perspective from this largely-happy Action-Van lift kit owner:

I'm gonna say this, and I'm gonna stick by it:
For a lot of people, the Action Van 6" lift kit (their cheapest "performance" kit, at $2089) can be a solid and cost-effective option. Especially if you are doing the install yourself. No welding required, easy bolt-in, drives great on the freeway, well-constructed, and proven over time in a ton of vans for the last 10 or 15 years to be a workable suspension for reasonable off-roading.

But If I were to do everything all over again....having a lift kit installed for me......and knowing what options that I personally would ultimately want to have included in it......I would go with WeldTec.

And here's my list of "becauses" to explain why:

"Because" #1: WeldTec can basically do it all.
If for no other reason...than simply because, they can do EVERYTHING all under one roof. And....because his package pricing is indeed pretty killer, should you want to be going with custom rear leafs. So yeah, convenience, get-it-all-done-at-one-place awesomeness, there ya go.

"Because" #2: Reputation for ultimate durability.
Jeremy has created an option for the most hardcore of 2WD Econoline off-roaders, should they want to go with his full-blown/fully-optioned kit.

He and his guys at WeldTec have definitely designed/built a bomber kit that has impressive-as-hell fast-running off road capability/durability. Based on in-person conversation with him (and his posts), SMB Forum member Redoval seems to positively HAMMER on his WeldTec-lifted van, basically doing pre-runner-type fast-tracking on rough roads.....and he does it regularly.....and it doesn't seem like he's broken anything yet.

"Because" #3: Rear Leaf Spring Options.
Jeremy at WeldTec can readily set up that custom rear leaf spring option, and he and his guys have a lot of experience doing so. Seriously, IMHO this is something that anyone who's serious about REALLY going off-road with their rig should consider to be an essential, 100% necessary part of the overall suspension upgrade, not just a fancy option to consider for later.

The other 2WD Econoline lift builders seem to largely sell their kits with tall lift-blocks under their rear ends, which for sure gains you height/tire clearance....but does not a more-capable rear suspension make. You don't get more travel with lift blocks. You do get axle-wrap. And all those crappy undesirable dynamics that definitely don't make a van ride better.

Pure and simple: If you are serious about how your rig actually DRIVES/PERFORMS off-road, you want custom leafs. With ANYONE'S kit, if you decide to go cheap and just opt for rear lift blocks.....then you can't possibly get the most out of your van's new front long-travel suspension capabilities. And this goes for WeldTec kits too. End rant.

"Because" #4: Agile / FOX partnership.
Jeremy is basically next-door neighbors with Agile Off-Road, and they have a great relationship. You might be able to buy Fox shocks from other 2WD Econoline lift-kit-builders, but they won't get the specialized "Agile Tuning" that Jeremy is able to broker for you. We all know these vans are unique in their weights/chassis dynamics from your average F150, and it's only a handful of guys in the industry (like Agile and WeldTec) that have made it their professional trade to deliver the very best available performance in this area.

SO ANYWAY.....
Does any of this help anyone with their thinking? Making a decision with respect to choosing a 2WD lift lit for these E-series vans ultimately, comes down to deciding whose **front end lift** design/implementation you prefer...which ones you can install yourself vs having to go to their shop for an install...and of course cost.

This all said, Larry at Action van is a solid dude, and stands behind his product. I bought my Action Van kit used from a forum member --- but Larry very happily installed it for me and has provided fantastic follow-up support as well for a couple hiccups I had with it, even though I had bought the kit used. And at $2089, his "Performance Lift Kit" can be a very solid value ---- as long as you are okay with lift blocks and Bilstein shocks vs. Fox (which actually drive great on the Freeway).

But once you start to consider upgrading to better shocks, or to custom rear leafs, or realize you are likely to really want to hammer on your van and run ultimately hard/fast offroad....you better call WeldTec.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote