Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #21

Garage
Re: At long last (almost 20 years)...

Welcome in the freedom world..!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
My wife and I still aren't sure which floorplan we like so whenever someone builds a new rig with something other than the -50, we like to see how it was done. Really like the cherry wood interior color and long galley countertops on Grumpy's build.
I've added some interior pics and my layout plan in my gallery. The cabinet finish I got is the "maple"... I think it turned out pretty well. The "cherry" was a little too dark for me - I wanted to keep it lighter because of all the darker grey trim.

If there is one thing I would REALLY like to change it's the position of the furnace. I ended up having to have them stuff it under the fridge - not the most ideal place for the heat aspect against the fridge, but also not the most ideal location to most effectively heat the space. Unfortunately, it's just the way it worked out between my choice / placement of cabinets, and having to keep the furnace >3 feet from the gasoline fill that is in the middle of the driver side wall (smack in the middle of the gaucho). The new cut-away chassis locate the gas fill further back, making it possible to have the heater closer to the front on that side if you end up getting one.

Let me know if you want more detail on anything.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #23

WOW! That's a great van. Would love to see the interior. Enjoy.

PS When you have a few minutes I would also like to hear about your build process (ie time it took, on schedule?, on budget?, etc)
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #24

Congrats bud, van looks great but now that the waits over what are your plans for its 1st outing.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
WOW! That's a great van. Would love to see the interior. Enjoy.

PS When you have a few minutes I would also like to hear about your build process (ie time it took, on schedule?, on budget?, etc)
There are a few shots of the interior in my gallery. If you'd like to see something in particular, I can snap a shot some time (I don't keep it here at home, unfortunately - and I am off to Asia for a month this week). If you see this tonight, hit me up - tomorrow I have to go look to see if it got damaged in the crazy hailstorm here this afternoon... hail was going through car windshields and sunroofs in some areas... hoping like hell the storage lot was NOT one of those.

Build process was OK... except that being the anal-retentive geek engineer that I am I assumed that their online DYO design tools would be reasonably accurate. Not even close. Had to go around with poor J Feld at SMB west a number of iterations to get it hammered out (and he put up with me for a WHOLE day at Fresno, and I ended up changing vans on him whilst there!). Just be aware you can't fit things in tight and check with them for everything before getting your heart set on it. As for build time... they had a huge year there and so the build time was longer than I had hoped (ordered it in March and waited to mid-September), but I can't blame them for having rocking business! No budget surprises (except for the stinking taxes, of course) - in fact, I ended up with a Ford rebate at delivery time, so it was less than expected! They have it pretty dialed in (no surprises on mine, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
Congrats bud, van looks great but now that the waits over what are your plans for its 1st outing.
Buck
No plans at the moment... hoping to get out in November (as I said above I am traveling for the next few weeks out of country). Might do a Bosque del Apache run for bird photography this winter... probably over to Canyonlands... and maybe to skiing if I can find a place to park it overnight!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #26

Great Van!!
LandyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #27
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Nice van, looks BAAAAAD! Can't wait to see you on the road! Where's the campsite/dirt road pics from?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #28

Utah... Temple Mountain area west of Goblin Valley.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #29

Sweet rig. Go forth and be excellent...without snow markers!
Attached Thumbnails
Second night - above treeline, CO.jpg   In its element.jpg  
Dango is offline   Reply With Quote