Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
So much for 11 mpg. 8 is the reality.

California offers a simple answer to the trip permit or PO with expired registration. The helpful gals at the Grass Valley DMV sold me a $21 Quick Trip permit.

You fill out your name, starting and ending trip addresses, date of trip start, and VIN. Take as long as you want she said. If Johnny Law checks it out it is in the national system as a trip permit for that VIN. Carry a bill of sale and the signed over title as well.

Easy.
Yeah, I did a single trip permit from Florida to San Diego, where the van stayed for 2 months, then up to San Francisco.. Trip permit had no expiration, just stated St. Petersburg to San Francisco.. no specified route!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #12

Great to see a government agency just letting it happen.

Ontario insists on the vehicle being mechanically certified before they are willing to sell you a trip permit.

The lady in Georgia had no clue what a trip permit was. I hung my own plate on it because every jurisdiction on the way home, 900 mis, had different rules. Including rules against and for putting your own plate on a purchased vehicle.

What a hobby!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Last time I took one of my own plates and through it on the back. At least I tried... officer.

NoNoNo

Plate from the wrong car = deep $#!+

Inside California you'll be fine, outside you may raise a few eyebrows. For all the laws and liberal over regulation and over taxation enforcement tends to be lax if you aren't poor.

Are you buying from an individual or a dealer? Is it currently registered?

What are the local regulations for registering your car?

I recently moved to Washington and they want everything notorized, CA can practicality write up a bill of sale on used toilet paper and apply for a $17 lost title.

If it is registered or a dealer you are good to go, you have 10 days to get home and register it per CA law, with plates no one will notice and copies of all paperwork, the traffic cops understand people buy cars out of state and you aren't expected to have it registered instantly.

In transition I bought a sprinter in Chicago with an Ohio title with a Washington purchase address and a CA drivers license then proceed to drive it for 9 weeks on a 30 day permit.
napabavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #14

With resiprocity the licensing laws from your home state will apply, is that Plate registered to a specific vehicle? The man gets real nervous when they run a plate that comes up Ford F250 pickup and the nameplate on the back door reads Dodge Van... ect.

They ask themselves, stolen car or tax evasion?

I understand some states allow you to transfer plates from one vehicle to another, but from what I have been told by residents it that you still must notify the local dmv of the current vehicle.

Quote:
Great to see a government agency just letting it happen.

Ontario insists on the vehicle being mechanically certified before they are willing to sell you a trip permit.

The lady in Georgia had no clue what a trip permit was. I hung my own plate on it because every jurisdiction on the way home, 900 mis, had different rules. Including rules against and for putting your own plate on a purchased vehicle.

What a hobby!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi,

I'm picking up my Dodge near Sacramento next week. I plan on driving it home.

I've googled this issue 6 ways to Tuesday and am not getting clear answers.

What is the California process for out of state purchases? Can I simply get a bill of sale and signed title, and head out?

Temporary trip permit? Some states do and some don't.

Out of state owner on updated title? Again some do, some don't.

Any answers rooted in real life experience are much appreciated.

Cheers,

G.
Calif titles have a change of ownership form attached. Just make sure it's filled out for the PO to submit. They will sign the title and give to you. A bill of sale is good to have and can be printed off the Calif DMV site. That's it, plates remain on the vehicle.
4hiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hiking View Post
Calif titles have a change of ownership form attached. Just make sure it's filled out for the PO to submit. They will sign the title and give to you. A bill of sale is good to have and can be printed off the Calif DMV site. That's it, plates remain on the vehicle.

For clarification, this is a release of liability informing DMV you have sold the vehicle and is in no way a transfer of ownership.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #17
JRO

Depends on if you are buying it from a dealership or previous private owner. The process from a dealership sucks.