Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #1

Coachella trip

Our first trip in our Sporty:-)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07459.jpg   DSC07462.jpg   DSC07488.jpg  

ShortMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Re: Coachella trip

Right on ShortMocha.
did you go to the music festival this weekend?
If so, how was it and how hot was it out there?

I went about 5 years ago and it was like 120*

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #3

It was HOT! 100 ish. 120 is scortching! Maybe it was a bit hotter where we camped.

We rode our beach crusiers to coachella and didn't know it was a 6 mile ride. We ended up cabbing it the second day!

But what a great time. Paul mcartney blew everyone away with a 3.5 hr gig on friday. Sat. night was The Killers with awesome techno artists playing all afternoon in the other tents. We couldn't stay for The Cure on sunday but we were exhausted and need to get back to work early on monday.

The sporty(we are second owners) worked out great, love the panoramic views of the penthouse and my breakfast burritos was yummy!

We are going to burning man in august...has anyone gone in a sporty to burning man?

We want to look for something that has a 'tight' enclosure for maybe the side doors or back door so all the sand from burning man won't get in our sporty and not get too messy. Wish there is something like a enclosed tent that is simple to set up...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #4

ShortMocha,

Great looking Sportsmobile! Congrats!

We have not been to Burning Man but have been thinking about it for the last couple of years. My brother as well as our friend Geoff (who is on this forum) have both been and from what I understand the only way to keep the dust out is to leave your top down and all windows and door shut and then you still might get a little dust. The particles are so fine that when the wind is blowing they will find their way in through the penthouse windows even when closed. We have come the realization that you have to learn to live with the dust and then spend several days when you get home cleaning.

If you do a search on the forum there are several threads that discuss the dust problem.

John
Old 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #5

Congrats on the new rig. It was super hot last weekend.. i can only imagine out there.. sheesh.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #6

So, uh, who's van in the avatar then?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #7

The picture we posted in my avatar was my dad's. He drove it down from Canada and gave it to me for our wedding gift. It is a older econoline ford 79 van conversion, real nice on the inside, rusting on the outside a bit. But we are going to sell it for around $3000 We loved camping in it and hate to see it go...it's a sentimental thing
We hooked our vespa on the back and went camping all along the coast. Good fun! Now we will do it with the sporty..

About burning man, we have heard all about the dust and not really looking forward to getting everything dusty but it's all part of the fun We are thinking of stuffing the vents and putting plastic over the front seats...just anything to save the sporty from that fine dust...at least a little bit..
We are also thinking about repainting our sporty, but will do it after burning man! and then get all the dents out of the side(from previous owners).
I'm still looking for that right type of tent to hook to the entrance of the door so we wont bring in all the dust...

Have a lovely night guys=)