Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #1

Da Barn (... well, "tent" actually)

When we bought our house there was a very small garage and a small Shelter Logic temporary structure- basically a metal framed tent. Plans for the future include a shop that is big enough for the SMB, but for the mean time we need somewhere to keep it out of the hail. Well, somewhere better than this:

Which was to say, putting the front under the porch and covering it with moving blankets over the cab. It works, but isn't exactly easy or good looking.

When I considered the time, and potential number of hail storms, between now and when we can build a shop, temporary storage became the obvious choice. Since I was so impressed with how my existing unit withstood the weather, I decided to go with ShelterLogic again, however getting the "Barn Style" in order to fit the SMB. It was surprisingly easy to build, with the help of the tractor where three to four people would have been necessary otherwise.

There was a damaged cross pole which they replaced as fast as UPS ground ships anything, and it didn't really matter because it turns out you have to put in and take out the bottom poles multiple times anyway.

The other damage, or should I say defect, turned up after putting the end canvas on- one of the glued strap pockets was not so glued. I have yet to contact them about this. Word to the wise, there is a warranty card included in the boxes which I didn't open for 100 days or so, which must be filled out within 30 days of purchase. Oops!

The cover took two people, and they need to be moderately sized. It slid right over and I can't think of an easier way to do it than having a friend help- up to that point it was possible to do everything by myself.

So of course I had to modify a few things. One annoyance with my existing Shelter Logic is there is no way to attach anything to the supports, not that I would do this as I'm sure it voids the warranty! Anyway, I bought some longer bolts and extra nuts and washers and put chain lengths all down the center and on two of the side poles in the back. If I ever do want to void my warranty, at least it will be easy!

The other modification was to tie the end cover straps to the end feet, in order to redirect some of the tension out of the front cover- meaning a lateral pull on the zippers. This was accomplished with some coated cable and clamps to make small loops.

Next I installed the eazy opening system, which is a bar in the pocket at the bottom of the flap and some ropes, a cleat, and special pully clips. The gist is the door goes up really easy on the nylon rope, and while I'd hoped to get an idea to copy for my original ShelterLogic, I actually got two of the Pull-Eaze Rollup Door kits... did I mention the "barn" has a door on the rear panel as well? Since I won't be using that 99% of the time, the extra kit is going in my other ShelterLogic.

The door isn't quite high enough with the rollup kit, however it does push up over the van without needing to stop and get out. Incidentially I installed the kit without cutting any holes in the canvas, despite what the instructions say.

And we're done:

This took about two weeks of spare time, my tractor, a friend, a hammer drill, two 3/8" masonry bits, 34 3/8" RedHead concrete bolts and some electrical tape (to cover bolt threads whereever they might rub).

For the next 3 to 5 years and the ease of removal or relocation when necessary, this is a great solution. I was really impressed with how the smaller ShelterLogic has weathered rain, snow and, of course, hail, however at an unknown age it is showing wear and tear. I recently ordered replacement fasteners for the door panels and plan to repair and replace the cover all around. The new barn style was ordered with the heavier duty canvas (although not the heaviest they offer), which should hold up better and is certainly quality stuff.

As far as fit goes, it's excellent- however not quite the grandiose amount of spare room I'd imagined- to keep the ends off the panels leaves enough room to open the rear doors and walk past the front with everything closed- not for shelves and extra storage as I'd imagined. Still, considering the larger driveway footprint and the fact that I can park and open all the doors (not completely mind you) it's an excellent compromise.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #2

Re: Da Barn (... well, "tent" actually)

Bonus:
Old 10-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Jage, I bought the same unit 2 years ago for my SMB. It has served me well. Set it up in a weekend with help of my best freind's husband in exchange for promising he'd never have to camp in it. Not his thing to camp.

It has held up to blizzards and wind. Just one problem. The rear door is always down. The wind would make the sand filled bar that weighs down that door scrape back and forth on pavement. It wore thru and the bar fell out. Now that end is loose. But still stays shut.

One addition I made was lining the support poles with the foam insulation for water pipes you buy at home depot. That way no door dings when getting in and out.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Jage-
Could you provide the footprint size, or shelter size and a part # or some such, so someone else could duplicate your order?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #5

Does the shelter mount to the ground in any manner?

If not, is it possible to run a support across the bottom so the SMB wheels hold it firmly in place?

Or, is it universally agreed the shelter cannot, will not move?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Mike,

I'd guess that with the masonry bits and concrete bolts, Jage anchored it to the concrete pad.

Herb
Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I want to know how you did the time Lapse photo that"s cool. I am going to get one of those tents if we don't move next year.

Looks great Jage
Ron
Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #8

Nothing around here stays very long if it's not bolted down! The structure came with 6x 3' earth anchors, but like Herb said I used concrete anchoring bolts. Here are shots of the fit plus the mounting to the driveway:

The hardest part for me was cutting the tree branches away- it's necessary, but the trees should be here long after this is moved, so it was tough cutting back the branches.

http://www.shelterlogic.com/custom_barn.html

I got the 12' x 11' with 24' long as an option. Took about 3 weeks to ship, and I ordered the medium grade (Heavy Duty PE) canvas. Shipped it was right around $1500.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I love the little "movie"

Thanks for the dimensions,
Bill