Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #21

Re: Eli's Awning Brackets

The legs can be attached to the van with brackets, much the same way they can now, the brackets would just have to be higher. But I think the real issue is awning height- up that high it doesn't do much good, except to shade/sheter the PH itself.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #22

I googled a coleman and they seem to be the same with 2-4 inches.

Update: Coleman pop ups range from 8'3" to 9'0" in set up height. Chev Express with Penthouse is in the area of 81.3" van plus 30" penthouse or about 9'3". So I think it is within reach if one wanted to do it.

Yes with awning up higher morning and afternoon shade could be less. On other hand would not have ANY issue with side doors rubbing awning. Other issue is passenger side penthouse windows would not have a good view (or is it any) when awniing is up. On other hand they also could be left wide open in a rain.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #23

Re: Awning brakets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecksTank
Adventrureduo, I am alittle hurt. You should not have had to bend the brakets. I am soory that you choose to, as the bend dose not look that great and the coating flaked off. I relize that it is a very close tolerance, but they are desinged that way inorder to keep the awining as close to the van as possible. I have had my awining mounted for the last 2 years with both my original, as well as the current copy, brakets and have not had any contact with the PH. My best friend has also been runining these fro the last few years and has had no issues. You guys need to mount them with the awining a run before bending or modifiying them. The cost of these is just enough to cover the loabor of fabrication, prep and painting, and shipping and handinling. Thanks Phil for giving me a break, as I am just trying to provide somthing better that SMB. I would love to be able to help you all mount them, or atleast show you mine in person preior to mounitnig yours, but we all live so far away.

Not trying to rant, just want you to all try the product before you teak it.

Eli
Eli, i just saw this on page 1.

I apologize if i hurt your feelings, that was not my intent. My intent was to speak truthfully about the brackets and nothing more.

I have a question for you.

Out of all the people you have sold them too , how many of those have had problems?

Also, did you change anything in the fab process between the time you made yours, your buddies and when you made ours?
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #24

Adventureduo, thanks, but I was jsut kidding about being hurt. No, I have not changed anything between fabrications. Your, as well as everyone who has gotten the brakets, has gotten the exact same spec. In regards to who has had issues, I only know of you and Phil that have felt the need to bend yours. I belive that this is more of a fitment issue and a conceren of contact with the top. I fabricated the brackets for close tolerance so that the awining does not hange of the side of the van. This limits contact with objects. SMB's mounts has the awining in a smilar location. I am soory that you are not happy with yours.

Eli
Old 01-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
I think my rain gutter with a cruiser top is the same as a rain gutter with a penthouse top. Does anyone know for sure?
My Voyager top only has about 1/4" between the edge of the gutter and the beginning of the rubber roof seal. The gutter is the same, otherwise.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #26

I've been reading all about these Eli brackets and it made me decide to look into my brackets. My awning has been loose and rattling for a while now. I was planning on rebuilding the brackets to mount on the gutter. Sorry Eli, too cheap to buy new ones. I got to looking at the brackets vs the gutter mounts and realized there is very little difference between the two. So here is an option for those of you who already have an awning mounted and the van sides aren't cracked. I put a one and a quarter inch square plate behind my front bracket then drilled a hole through the bracket and plate. Put a bolt through, tightened and waalaa. The awning now seems to be primarily supported by the gutter and not so much on the body. On the back bracket I simply drilled a hole through the bracket just above the gutter line. Put a grade 8 bolt through (after I broke two lesser bolts) and tightened it up. Once again it clamped the SMB brackets onto the gutter hopefully taking some strain off the body. My awning is now solid and hopefully good for many more years.

I know, I know, pictures. I'm waiting for the albums to come up to post.

Tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #27

I know, I know, the albums. I'm waiting for my brain to come back...
Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #28

Hi I would be interested in purchasing one. If you get an order together that would be great!

Thank you,

Kim
kpark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpark5
Hi I would be interested in purchasing one. If you get an order together that would be great!

Thank you,

Kim
Also see this post and you can PM Eli.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=880

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Wanted to add Kudos to Eli's Brackets..
I used it with the Cambing Lab /Arb / Mombasa Awning 79" Model and it worked out great.
I opted to not go with a permanent install.

I wanted to make it removable and not permanent so I used stainless steel wingnuts, bolts, nuts and washers. I also used wingnuts on Eli's Bracket too. Really doesn't take to long to mount up the brackets and then the awning itself. Keeps me from permanently drilling holes, or wearing out the rain gutters if the brackets are on there permanently.

Improvised Slips-on bracket with wingnuts

Awning Slips over the Eli Brackets.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote