Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #51

Everyone, It's Show & Tell Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
We made sure to get ones where the base stays in the vehicle, and the seat clips in and out of the base. The theory is that you can keep your infant in the seat if they're sleeping and bring the seat with you.
x2

Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #52

Re: Everyone, It's Show & Tell Time

Same here. I bought extra bases and secured them to all of the vehicles. As they got older and grew out of the infant seats I bought car seats for everyone, again for all of the vehicles. And when they grew out of car seats I repeated the same with booster seats. It was just easier for me this way, albeit a little more expensive.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans
Quote:
We made sure to get ones where the base stays in the vehicle, and the seat clips in and out of the base. The theory is that you can keep your infant in the seat if they're sleeping and bring the seat with you.
x2
x3
We've had a good experience with the Graco Safeseat. I think it is good to 30 pounds, so you get some good mileage out of it. We just leave the seat with the kiddo when he gets dropped at daycare, grandma's, etc. so the seat is there for whoever picks him up.

For later down the road, our 3 year old is still in a Britax and it has been working out well too. We've got a handful of Britax seats (Marathons & Boulevards) in our vehicles and they seem to have a good range as well as good ratings.

I'm sure it may feel taboo to some (especially first time parents!), but I think that we've either been handed down or bought each seat used off of CL with the exception of one received at the baby shower. As long as they are within the required date I don't see any reason not to reuse/recycle. You just have to take them apart and get all the Cheerios out of the nooks and crannies so your own kids can fill them up.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Same here. I bought extra bases and secured them to all of the vehicles. As they got older and grew out of the infant seats I bought car seats for everyone, again for all of the vehicles. And when they grew out of car seats I repeated the same with booster seats. It was just easier for me this way, albeit a little more expensive.

Ray
Ditto. And Man do I miss all those seats now that they're older!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
I'm sure it may feel taboo to some (especially first time parents!), but I think that we've either been handed down or bought each seat used off of CL with the exception of one received at the baby shower. As long as they are within the required date I don't see any reason not to reuse/recycle.
Never thought I would know things like this, but here it is... They have expiration dates based at least in part to the life expectancy of the plastic they are made of. Over time with exposure to the sun and the hot temps of cars parked in the sun, the plastic will eventually become brittle. So watch out for that.

Jage, this is going down hill fast. You may need to lock this thread before someone offers to throw you a baby shower or worse.

Ok, now I'm going to need a sports fix and a beer... Maybe I'll go change my oil - just because.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans
Ok, now I'm going to need a sports fix and a beer... Maybe I'll go change my oil - just because.
Teach me how to change a diaper before you go?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Teach me how to change a diaper before you go?
Herb, we've lost him. Soon he'll be spending all of his spare time over at babyforum.com and we'll be stuck telling "sea stories" of the "old Sportsmobileforum" before it turned into an extension of babyforum...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #58
Site Team

I think this has been brewing for a while. First he buys his wife a new truck, then he buys a backhoe so he can create his own diaper landfill in his backyard.

FWIW, I do think we'll start to see a lot of posts from Jage at 3:00am when he can get back to sleep.

Herb
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #59

Garage

Quote:
We made sure to get ones where the base stays in the vehicle, and the seat clips in and out of the base.
only advice i can offer as im childless... if you care about the seats in your car, id advise putting a towel or something underneith the base of these or any other seat you plan on leaving in the vehicle for any extended amount of time. the tl we bought a year ago still has marks in the leather from the previous owners infant seats. its not a huge eyesore or anything, but it looks like an indented waffle, lol. i figured after one of the hotass summers we have that the marks would go away. no such luck. was told by a friend of mine that runs a detail shop that they will never go away.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
Quote:
We made sure to get ones where the base stays in the vehicle, and the seat clips in and out of the base.
only advice i can offer as im childless... if you care about the seats in your car, id advise putting a towel or something underneith the base of these or any other seat you plan on leaving in the vehicle for any extended amount of time. the tl we bought a year ago still has marks in the leather from the previous owners infant seats. its not a huge eyesore or anything, but it looks like an indented waffle, lol. i figured after one of the hotass summers we have that the marks would go away. no such luck. was told by a friend of mine that runs a detail shop that they will never go away.
Sadly, "towel or something" will not prevent the marks in the leather. It will help prevent the previously mentioned Cheerios from getting ground into the stitching. But the seats will wear the badge of honor for life...

THAT'S IT! As happy as I am for Jage and Mrs. Jage (seriously, awesome news). This thread is officially destroying my "man cave". If I can't depend on the Admins to do what is right, then I am compelled to start a grassroots boycott of this thread before it spreads like a virus and infects other threads. If it doesn't get stopped here, soon there will be "baby talk" in the 4x4 section and all will be lost...