Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

GTRV problems with the Big Baby

Ok, part #3 of the Big Baby build. Like I mentioned in my other post, there are good, bad and so-so issues with GTRV California. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone with the Canada operation or re-thought some of it. There is very little discount for subtracting items from their traditional build, which includes top, inside bed, with storage, fridge, heat and water and sink. They do have a very good design and as I mentioned before, they are flexible in customizing. Some of my quality problems can be fixed and aren't a disaster, just disappointing. Like these:

The orange squirting is from extra insulation I had them add. However, it has been squirting out the bottom and other places in the few months I have had it ( I call it Big Baby sh*t, ha!).

Ok, one last photo for the day. The van with the top open. I asked for a t-top and ended up with a V-top, wedge type. At first I was disappointed, but now I do like it b/c there is room for one, maybe 2 (along with 2 below) and very easy to open up and down without electrical.

Ok, that is it for now. I wanted to take the time to begin posting, b/c I owe it to all of you who have given me so much guidance over the past few years.

off to camping!

Scamperbee
Attached Thumbnails
WP Oct 30, 2011L.jpg   WP Oct 30, 2011S.jpg   WP Oct 30, 2011A.jpg  

scamperbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: GTRV problems with the Big Baby

The second picture is the worst quality job I can imagine. Even I, with no skills whatsoever, could do a better job than that. And getting a different pop-up top than you asked for . . . I would have refused to pay. There is no excuse for this kind of work. Future buyers beware!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

I'm with you Mac. Even if the owner doesn't mind, I'd not expect and would not pay for that level of work from anybody. Scratch GTRV from the list of reputable businesses.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

did GTRV run the caulking in the gutterline and above the windshield (that is what we're looking at, isn't it?)? Why? It doesn't seem like their top runs anywhere close to there.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #5

I also have a GTRV, from the original shop in Richmond, BC. Mine was converted in mid-2009, before Bryan took over from his father Roy. I have no complaints about the quality of workmanship.

That caulking job is horrible. I'll try to get a photo of same area, but I can assure you it doesn't look like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
did GTRV run the caulking in the gutterline and above the windshield (that is what we're looking at, isn't it?)? Why? It doesn't seem like their top runs anywhere close to there.
In addition to the top that raises, GTRV adds a 'frame' that the top sits in (sorta like a pre-hung door). The 'frame' covers the entire roof and extends from the brow of the front windshield to the gutter above the rear doors. The front portion of the 'frame', above the front seats, acts as a faring in front of the top when it is down.

Here are a few pics to help explain.

In the above photo, you can see the faring in front of the top, above the cab.

And a shot with the top down. Here you can also see a slightly better caulking job.

More info in these threads:
Wanting to see or get info on GTRV V/T Top
Other Penthouse Roof Manufacturers??

Cheers,
Brent
Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

As with vwteleman I'm shocked to see the poor quality of work. I too had mine done in Richmond by Roy. I saw plenty of examples of his work before and after I had mine done and I witnessed nothing but quality work. Very sorry to see this example.
Jepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

It's sad to see work like this associated with the GTRV name. I had a conversion done by GTRV in Richmond last year and the workmanship was flawless. It's important to recognize that there are two shops doing the conversions now, the one in Canada continues to do great work but I guess we'll have to see what happens with the one in California.

cheers, Ian
MonsoonPress is offline   Reply With Quote