Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to illking
Re: Joined SMB nation

2015 EXCF such a fun bike

illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #22

Close enough....Cool!

I have a 2008 250XCF-W with a 280 kit and a Rekluse ( and a 300 kit on the shelf)......so I cannot justify springing for a 350...yet....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
If you ever plan to upgrade the brakes, most upgrades don't work with 16's (at least none I could find) and switching 8 tires and wheels has been a cost that I just don't want to venture to. But I sure would like to have better braking on my 06.
I don't know anything about the world of large tires, lifts, etc. But I did get a new 2014 front end put on my 1998 E-350 exactly for the reason of wanting its much bigger/better brakes. It fit just fine with my stock wheels and tires. But maybe that's because I have 2WD and the same doesn't apply to 4WD? Someday maybe I'll grow up and get a 4WD! Some of the photos I've seen of your rig on back trails really make me want 4WD! I'd love to be able to take some of those back roads and get to some of the places you do.

PS: Illking: On my previous SMB, 1997 E-250 RB, 2WD, penthouse roof, I never really felt like I needed more braking power at all. I was perfectly happy with it stock. This held true even when I was towing because my trailer had brakes, so it almost stopped better towing than not towing. I'm sure there is never really "too good" in the brakes department, but I never felt the need for improvement. That van was around 7,600# when loaded for travel. Was an SMB conversion that looked a lot like yours (layout, etc.). But mine wasn't the nice silver color.

The 1998 E-350 I have now and had the the front end converted on is a heavier rig (10,000#) and really felt inadequate in the braking department with the original brakes.
I also did the 2014 upgrade in my 97. Let Chris at UJoint do the work. My van had over 500k and needed alot of attention to the front end so the upgrade worked out perfectly for me. I can tell a big difference in breaking, but like I said my whole front end needed attention.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm

I also did the 2014 upgrade in my 97. My van had over 500k and needed alot of attention to the front end so the upgrade worked out perfectly for me.
In that case it's really a "steal." Because you get all new brakes, plus all the front suspension parts (ball joints, etc.). I think I basically ended up with my original shocks and springs. I only had around 50k, so those things weren't really worn out, but what a no-brainer if they were!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to illking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Close enough....Cool!

I have a 2008 250XCF-W with a 280 kit and a Rekluse ( and a 300 kit on the shelf)......so I cannot justify springing for
Sounds like a fun bike! how do you like the rekluse?
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #26

I like it a lot.....It the original core EXP.

On a bike with Hyd clutch, it has practically zero impact on just using the clutch normally.....you wouldn't really know that you have an auto clutch if just wanted to ride normally, except the motor disengages from the trans if you lock the rear brake on a downhill....when you get off the brake you are freewheeling.......then you need to rev the engine to re-engage....that's really the only strange thing.

With a Rekluse the bike won't stall anywhere.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva

I don't know anything about the world of large tires, lifts, etc. But I did get a new 2014 front end put on my 1998 E-350 exactly for the reason of wanting its much bigger/better brakes. It fit just fine with my stock wheels and tires. But maybe that's because I have 2WD and the same doesn't apply to 4WD? Someday maybe I'll grow up and get a 4WD! Some of the photos I've seen of your rig on back trails really make me want 4WD! I'd love to be able to take some of those back roads and get to some of the places you do.

PS: Illking: On my previous SMB, 1997 E-250 RB, 2WD, penthouse roof, I never really felt like I needed more braking power at all. I was perfectly happy with it stock. This held true even when I was towing because my trailer had brakes, so it almost stopped better towing than not towing. I'm sure there is never really "too good" in the brakes department, but I never felt the need for improvement. That van was around 7,600# when loaded for travel. Was an SMB conversion that looked a lot like yours (layout, etc.). But mine wasn't the nice silver color.

The 1998 E-350 I have now and had the the front end converted on is a heavier rig (10,000#) and really felt inadequate in the braking department with the original brakes.
I also did the 2014 upgrade in my 97. Let Chris at UJoint do the work. My van had over 500k and needed alot of attention to the front end so the upgrade worked out perfectly for me. I can tell a big difference in breaking, but like I said my whole front end needed attention.
Yeah if you plan to do an overhaul of the stock 2WD front end, the newer model E series front end would be the way to go but if you have a U-joint lift installed I'd think 33s on 16s would be a poor looking fit. That is exactly what happened to me after the springs lifted the van a couple inches more. Tiny wheels on a taller lift just looked...weird. A shorted lift might be a different animal though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #28

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

By the way, you only need to buy 2008 on up rotors and calipers and bolt them right on your current setup. You should probably do the hoses also but don't have to.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
By the way, you only need to buy 2008 on up rotors and calipers and bolt them right on your current setup. You should probably do the hoses also but don't have to.
With 16" aluminum rims?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #30

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
With 16" aluminum rims?
Any 16" aluminum rim that will fit on a 2008 thru 2014 stock E350 starting with the factory aluminum wheels.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote