Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Just purchased - 1997 EB 4x4

Im new to posting here but have been lurking for many years and have gone through a couple of 4x4 vans, i just finished building my 1991 4x4 camper van (link to it here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... -Body-Swap) but i'm always looking at what comes up for sale. I found this Sportsmobile on craigslist, they were just leaving Alaska to drive it down to the northern states for a holiday. I had them meet me on their way through, i told them i'd take it and we met the next day in Great Falls Montana where they bought a new Toyota off the lot for the rest of their trip and to take them back home to Alaska. Here's a couple of quick pictures i took on the way home, i'll get some of the interior soon. It'll be fun the next little while doing some mods to make it my own.

gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

Re: Just purchased - 1997 EB 4x4

Nice, clean looking van.

Congrats, and welcome to the 'CLUB'.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

How cool is that! I am just now working on the spare tire concept and had thought of putting it out front. What is your engine? How does the spare-out-front "feel"? Can you see it from inside? What size tire is it? Previous owners comments on it? Sorry to be so intrusive, but have a meeting with fabdude tomorrow afternoon to work out a plan. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

And congrats a slick looking rig
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #4

Thanks! I'm super excited. It got the 5.4, but does surprisingly good.
I have the spare off right now but while it was on it felt really good, it was barely noticeable looking out, could really only see the top bit, then again the tires are only 245/75/16. I will be going to 265's but still should be fairly un-obtrusive. Its just a front hitch mount, i could take a picture for ya. I have the spare and receiver here at work but not the van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
How cool is that! I am just now working on the spare tire concept and had thought of putting it out front. What is your engine? How does the spare-out-front "feel"? Can you see it from inside? What size tire is it? Previous owners comments on it? Sorry to be so intrusive, but have a meeting with fabdude tomorrow afternoon to work out a plan. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

A very late reply to this post, but ARGHHHH! You're the guy! I almost bought that van; was talking with the owner to figure out how to make it work (I'm in PA), but she ended up selling it. I think they were driving from Alaska to Minnesota or someplace thereabouts. Glad to see it went to a good home. They were selling it for a crazy-cheap price for a 4x4 as I recall.

I just got a 98 EB 2x4, that looks almost identical to yours, except it's white. Has a similar stripe, too. Good luck with it!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone

Since you're running a 7.3 I'd be a little concerned about the spare tire in front blocking air flow to the radiator. Gasser not so much but diesel maybe a problem with engine temp.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #7

I put the spare in the rear after all. Worried a bit about heat also
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
A very late reply to this post, but ARGHHHH! You're the guy! I almost bought that van; was talking with the owner to figure out how to make it work (I'm in PA), but she ended up selling it. I think they were driving from Alaska to Minnesota or someplace thereabouts. Glad to see it went to a good home. They were selling it for a crazy-cheap price for a 4x4 as I recall.

I just got a 98 EB 2x4, that looks almost identical to yours, except it's white. Has a similar stripe, too. Good luck with it!
Sorry man! Ya it was a crazy good price, especially for having 4x4, starcool AC, on board generator, new studded tires and a stack full of receipts since the van had 20,000 miles. Still in the middle of making it my own, should have some new pics soon. Would love to see some pics of your 98.

Noticed your in Philly, I spent a couple years in and around Philly. I really enjoyed it out there.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

Here's just a quick updated picture. Just in the middle of doing a few things. New rims and tires, flares, bug and side wind deflectors. And i've got some of the starcool out for repair, new fan, had the core fixed and a couple hoses replaced. Still to go on is the ATS running boards, grile guard, 2 pc penthouse bed, new mud flaps and scanguage.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Looking good!

For the two-piece bed, are you making that yourself? I have the one-piece bed, but I would like the flexibility of a multi-part bed for "upstairs" storage. Although, I've never seen one. Is it able to be hung from the ceiling like the one-piece bed?

I also have to work on my Starcool, but have other things to fix up first.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote