Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

Lolo Motorway and What I learned, Part Deux

Ok, this one is near some state park on Hwy 12, before getting to Clarkston, WA. Pulled over so the kids could have a quick lunch (they love those nasty Lunchables for some reason)

This one is at Wilderness Gateway Campground (a Forest Service campground in the Clearwater Nat'l Forest)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #2

Camping with the whole clan and what I learned:

If I want a convience for the Sportsmobile, take the wife camping: Trip started off Friday morning. Wife wasn't in the van for more than a few minutes before she noticed the new stereo. Well, that's no way to start a trip (churp, chrip'n in my ear for miles). Hey, she didn't get me a birthday present, so I got myself one. After a few miles, the drama passed. Leason learned (confirmed really), ask for forgiveness instead of permission. She wants the same stereo for her car now (with the bluetooth adapter).

When loading, we discovered we really don't have as much needed room as we thought. Wife suggested a cargo carrier for the roof rack. "Well, I'll need a side ladder or two..." Her idea!

Camping: We need a generator! Her idea. We need a water heater and shower! Her idea. Nav system. Her idea (sort of...took some guidance for her to realize the need for a Lowrence Baja)

There were several other items that my wife demands I add to the Sportsmobile. Its was a good trip.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #3

Mechanical:

The previous owner complained that the Edge Juice w/ Attitude system was screwy. He claimed he got an exhaust gas temp reading of 2100 degrees. I figured he mistakenly looked at RPMs when he came up with that number. Well, sure enough, while crawling around Lolo Motorway, there was this churping sound. It was the Edge alarm and the Edge system started shutting down the motor. EGT reading was 2100++. Well, I knew it wasn't that. Was in a bad place to loose power (steep, single lane). Eventually limped to a flat spot where I could pop the hood. PO complained the problem happened when it was 100+ degrees outside. Its was around 100 degrees when I had the same problem. Figured the unit was getting too hot as the readings would jump around from 500 degrees to 2104, to 800, to 1800, and so on. Even when at idle, EGT temp readings were at 2100 degrees at one time. Since I had already replaced the probe, it had to be an overly hot unit. Took some ice from the cooler and quickly got the works working correctly again. The unit was mounted very near to the coolant bottle. Humm. Coolant hot. Had some velcro in the van, so moved the unit away from the coolant bottle and no problems since.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #4

That's awesome i love the part about the stereo and how she noticed it.... been there many times my friend!
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #5

I forgot, she wants a Danhard AC unit now. I talked her down. She also complained about my worn out shocks!! Told her I couldn't afford them when I did the springs, but I'm getting to it. She wants new shocks!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Here's your next lesson, young grasshopper.

If you make the SMB too nice, she'll want to drive it all the time.

Herb
Old 08-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #7

Sportsmobile Accessories

deminimis ,
You married the right woman !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #8

Re: Sportsmobile Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
deminimis ,
You married the right woman !
Greggde
Sometimes I wonder. See that second picture above? She's not in the shot because she is sitting down.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
That's awesome i love the part about the stereo and how she noticed it.... been there many times my friend!
Works with a new bumper too!
Hmm, where'd THAT bumper come from? I don't remember you had a bumper like that.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
Works with a new bumper too!
Hmm, where'd THAT bumper come from? I don't remember you had a bumper like that.
ahhh, and the second lesson young grasshopper, is to make sure you notice your wife's new shoes, but never ask how much they cost, or comment about how many she has.

Herb