Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #231

Garage
Just read this thread from the beginning and it was awesome, sweet rig for sure!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
Surprised your winch line snapped! Van isn't that burried but it is on a slope. Was it used with a tree strap around a tree up top or connected to the van in front of you when it snapped? Did you try and winch when it snapped or did the other van attempt to pull you out with the winch line attached? Just curious for a lessons learned for the rest of us.

What was the line rated for? I don't have a winch on this van yet so I want to factor in anything I can learn from your situation.
Thanks
Eric
By the time I arrived on scene, Robb already had the winch line around a tree across the road. He was much further down the incline than pictured above so the line was rubbing on the ground. I recall him saying how he didn’t like that very much. We tried to move the line up higher on the tree but that still didn’t get it off the ground. After multiple attempts to winch out, we decided to add my van to the mix so we had the winch line and tow strap at the same time.

Before I even began pulling, he tensioned the winch line and it just snapped. Then we decided to shorten the tow strap so I could get a better angle, and finally got him out.

Here’s where he started from…

Line around the tree…

Line and tow strap…

Thankfully, our girlfriends were filming everything.

In the first 1/4 second of this video you can see the winch line snap, impacting the bush off the left front of my bumper. You can actually hear it snap and see a portion of it in that shaded area in front of my van.

Then, success!…

Good times!

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #233

Rob, if you keep breaking stuff most of us don't break we're going to have to start calling you CarringB2.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #234

Garage
Ha ha that's a good one!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #235

Essentially, I broke it due to stupidity combined with laziness.

I did have the rock guard on the synthetic line when it was in the dirt, but it's possible either that didn't work or some gravel/sand got inside it.

I should have raised the line in the tree, but it was tall.

I should have doubled the line, but that would have meant getting out a snatchblock, more shackles, etc etc. Seemed to difficult to bother with.

I should not have bumped the winch button once when I wasn't in the van trying to move forward. That was the kiss of death.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #236

Edit: But it's all good, I don't winch often (see aforementioned laziness) so I'm no expert. Winch (and MaxTraxx) are 'insurance' to me, not an everyday use type thing.

And now I have more experience winching!
Old 09-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #237

Quote:
Van isn't that burried but it is on a slope.
Oh, it was pretty buried.. Rear bumper/hitch were well into the gravel and rocks, right rear was buried and nearly in the air, slope was steep.

Quote:
What was the line rated for?
30,000 lbs.. Arachni from Olympus Offroad: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ine-14853.html
Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Edit: But it's all good, I don't winch often (see aforementioned laziness) so I'm no expert. Winch (and MaxTraxx) are 'insurance' to me, not an everyday use type thing.

And now I have more experience winching!
Super thanks to both of you for sharing the real world experience. On one hand nice it wasn't a steel line that snapped but if it were steel it may not have happened who knows. Snatchblock may not have prevented the snap if it was due to the abrasion but who knows. You made it out without injury or damage so an overall success.

Last time I was stuck on my rear bumper and hitch we used Digs hi lift and Maxxtracks along with the rim attachment. That allowed us to get the Maxxtrax under one tire and I backed right out of this V sand wash. If that hadn't worked we were going to have Gooseberry winch me out from the rear if we could get the recovery d ring in the rear hitch....because it was in the front of course!

I have been thinking of going with a hitch mounted winch carrier on this van so I can move it from front to back if needed. I would need to look into ratings though as forces add up quick. Claude had his Aluminess bumper custom made so he can move the winch front or back and told me he did have to actually move it to the back once to get out.

Thanks again for sharing a real world experience.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #239

Quote:
You made it out without injury or damage so an overall success.
Yep. The line snapping was really a non event. Probably would have been more exciting if it was steel.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Yep. The line snapping was really a non event. Probably would have been more exciting if it was steel.
I wasn't going to post that but was thinking the same thing!

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote