Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #1

my awning idea

I puzzled over awnings for a long time. I was thinking for awhile that I would attempt to mount a Fiamma up high on the side of my pop top (above the porch lights I added), and it would go up with the roof, but I eventually decided after seeing various bracket failures in sheet metal that there was no way this would work out mounting through fiberglass. Also, way too high if a storm blew in suddenly and I needed to drop the awning in a hurry. It was a neat idea I thought, but not willing to gamble with a $1k awning.
Here's what I came up with

It's a bag awning, usually used on a truck camper or pop up. They slide on to an aluminum rail, and I hid my rail right against the edge of the pop top fabric, where there is just enough room, and did NOT pin it on the ends as you would if it stayed on the camper.

The great thing about these awnings is they are just a few hundred bucks, and the modern ones are VERY well made, with all of the adjustability of a full bore camper awning (but not electric).
I didn't like adding this, but wanted more stability than both poles to the ground

There is one huge catch which makes this a no-go for most folks, and definitely my least favorite part. You have to remove the awning and store it when not in use. It could hang on the side of the van, in theory, but not mounted under the edge of a pop top. I would personally never do this because it's hideous and in a white bag. I'm looking in to having a black bag made for it, but not too worried about that now since I remove it. Also, not sure which other tops this idea would work with. I can walk mine in to the side door angled upwards and it just fits inside my pop top with the top down. We just slide it to one side and it doesn't interfere with walk around space while travelling. Another plus about these is you can have them made in any length. I got the longest that would fit on my van. In my experience, the best way to guarantee rain is to plan a camping trip, so we have a big dry porch (12x8 I think) now, and no rain comes through the attatchment rail.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Re: my awning idea

Great idea. So are you saying that there isn't enough room to roll the fabric up and stuff it under your PH top when it is down? I was thinking about building something similar that was light enough and small enough (volume wise) that I could tuck it under the edge of the top.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Great idea. So are you saying that there isn't enough room to roll the fabric up and stuff it under your PH top when it is down? I was thinking about building something similar that was light enough and small enough (volume wise) that I could tuck it under the edge of the top.
One of the things I definitely want when I build my pop top is to have an awning hidden in it somehow. There has to be a way to do it.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
One of the things I definitely want when I build my pop top is to have an awning hidden in it somehow. IThere has to be a way to do it.

...Jamie
No way this type will fit under the lip of a pop top unfortunately. It looks roomy with no awning there, but this type at least is pretty substantial. It hangs down about 6" in the bag, and there is about a 1"x2" square aluminum box on the outer end, which holds the prop rods to the van and to the ground (they fold in on 2 different sides).
The attatchment rail is just thin aluminum, easy to hide. In fact, another good idea is to have the rail black anodized (or whatever color your van is) and just mount it on the outside of your van, but I think this would only work well with a fixed top.

Thanks, I really don't like the look of the way the bag hangs down on mine (when it's rolled out), but having a big sturdy awning makes it worthwhile for me. We have to use clips to keep the bag out of the way to open and close the side doors.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

my awning idea

This looks like a good solution even with the storage issue. Can you post the link to where you bought it?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Can we see a packed shot?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

my awning idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
This looks like a good solution even with the storage issue. Can you post the link to where you bought it?
http://www.rvworkshop.com/index.php/pro ... rkShop-844
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

my awning idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Jage, it's been raining here for 24 hours, I'll snap one tomorrow if it stops.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Jage, it's been raining here for 24 hours, I'll snap one tomorrow if it stops.
Here you go, I said it was a 12, but it's an 11. I ordered it that length thinking I'd be hanging it from the side of the pop top, but then changed my mind. *I actually could've gone with a 12, or maybe even a 13. That would be harder to stow in the van though, barely fits up there as it is.*

Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #10

So does the bag mount to the van (roof) somehow and you leave it on?

Do you have a picture of it folded up?

I guess I am an awning idiot and don't understand how it works.

I am not so stupit that I don't know its to put lawn chairs under at night so they don't get damp.
I do know what an awing is for.

....Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote