Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Sounds like a mod a lot of people have been considering - Just finished replacing my Propane tank and did relatively the same thing - but had 2 lines run to the back of the Van (accessed between the undermount storage box & rear bumper), a high pressure and a low pressure with the 3/8 quick connects. Same motivation you had, ability to run Grill/propane Coffee Maker and Honda generator at the same time.
I like the simplicity of your instal using the 4-way. Since you accessed the existing low pressure side (post regulator) did you remove the regulator on either of the other two appliances? Or do they both still operate normally even though they are fed with low pressure?
Oh interesting, why did you use 3/8" that you see more in natural gas vs the propane standard 1/4"? Also what do you use your high pressure for? I can't think of anything that would need high pressure unless you were using an appliance that already had a regulator but that seems uncommon. I did mine post regulator since everything I will be using will not have a regulator. My Propane generator built in doesn't, my RV heater doesn't have its own regulator, the firepit doesn't and would be scary without one (maybe you want a really big fire haha!!) and the grill will not have one, if you think of it all those types of things have the regulator on the tank end. So to answer your question, yes, they all operate on the low pressure lines.

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #82

Garage
Propane Conversion on the Honda generator has a regulator (and they "suggested using 3/8" quick connects). This conversion set-up also allows for the regulator to be bypassed if I opted for it (again using 3/8" quick connects mounted at each end), so I could use either high or low pressure, ultimately we decided to have one of each available at the rear of the van. I also have splitters for the ends of each (on quick connects) that I can use at any time as well (I know - overkill, but seemed like a convenient and relatively inexpensive back-up)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
... what do you use your high pressure for? I can't think of anything that would need high pressure unless you were using an appliance that already had a regulator but that seems uncommon...
I would use mine for things like my griddle and coffee maker, which have their own regulators, so I would run unregulated off the van tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
Do you ever feel top heavy? or like wind catches more?

...we use our van as a daily driver when we go out as a family so I am trying to balance overall height for normal stuff (getting coffee from Dutch Bros, grabbing dinner at Chic-fil-a etc).
My 24" high topped van drives the same as before I installed it. I did not notice any handling characteristics made worse by the high top. I've been through the Palm Springs wind tunnel in it and couldn't say it is worse than before.

I use my van for normal running around all the time. But at 10' tall I don't even attempt to use drive thru's. What you do have at all times is a huge amount of storage available to use. Everything we take camping is permanently stored in the van with nothing showing, so if we impulsively spend the night somewhere, we have everything we need.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #84

Garage
Angry

Dangit!!! was changing my oil last night and found this.....

Apparently my exhaust has shifted some and this stupid bolt wore a hole in my exhaust . Luckily I kept my stock pipe I think from that I can change out but what a pain. Clearly I need to swap that bolt and turn it around. While im at it I forgot that when I bought a 4" exhaust for some reason the dang company sent me this turbo section stock 3" and then the rest is 4". I am pretty sure everyone else has a 4" from the turbo back so I am not sure what the deal is with that, kinda annoying. I installed this like a year ago and kinda forgot about it till now and am annoyed all over again.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
My 24" high topped van drives the same as before I installed it. I did not notice any handling characteristics made worse by the high top. I've been through the Palm Springs wind tunnel in it and couldn't say it is worse than before.

I use my van for normal running around all the time. But at 10' tall I don't even attempt to use drive thru's. What you do have at all times is a huge amount of storage available to use. Everything we take camping is permanently stored in the van with nothing showing, so if we impulsively spend the night somewhere, we have everything we need.
Thanks for this, super helpful. I was looking at the 24" from Fiberine as well as an option with 6' 5" of height at the highest that sounds like a good compromise vs the 30" one Nemesisnight has... especially on a short body van where I think the bull nose and extreme height would look goofy.

Thanks lots to think about (even discussing just selling this and buying and EB .... but that has many many other implications so *shrug*)
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #86

Quote:
Apparently my exhaust has shifted some and this stupid bolt wore a hole in my exhaust . Luckily I kept my stock pipe I think from that I can change out but what a pain. Clearly I need to swap that bolt and turn it around. .
Or, cut the bolt off, have a muffler shop weld the hole and call it done.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #87

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Or, cut the bolt off, have a muffler shop weld the hole and call it done.
That's a good idea and much easier option, I feel silly for not thinking about it, haha. I am going to be welding a steering stabilizer shock tab to my axle tuesday before we head off for a 2 week trip to Cali to visit the coastal redwoods for 2 weeks. I can easily just throw a bead on that real quick and save some time
Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
Thanks for this, super helpful. I was looking at the 24" from Fiberine as well as an option with 6' 5" of height at the highest that sounds like a good compromise vs the 30" one Nemesisnight has... especially on a short body van where I think the bull nose and extreme height would look goofy.

Thanks lots to think about (even discussing just selling this and buying and EB .... but that has many many other implications so *shrug*)
Yea just get the EB . I say that somewhat seriously having done that myself before this van. I had a RB for a few months but just really needed to extra space of the EB. Four kids take up a bit of room in a van and they are only going to grow.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #89

Quote:
Yea just get the EB . I say that somewhat seriously having done that myself before this van. I had a RB for a few months but just really needed to extra space of the EB. Four kids take up a bit of room in a van and they are only going to grow.
Something we are still open to, but it has to be the right deal and overall scenario (E.G. a cheap enough van that I can buy without a buyer for mine, or a buyer for mine lines up with the purchase of the new etc). The problem I am still working through is this is truly our daily driver and our defacto "handicapped van" for our kiddo (we didnt want/need a lift at this stage so we just did the van with all the power support for the handicapped equipment etc). This means we go everywhere in it, including hospital parking lots/garages.

We accept that the high roof alone will mean no more parking garages but the EB just means that much more difficulty in finding parking and maneuvering in often tight quarters.

The RB makes more sense on paper, we are just deciding if the practical lines up as well.

Plus making the switch now is rough cause I just dropped 3k on tax, title, tags etc. So it would have to be the right deal to justify another 3k on tax, title, tags for a new buy.

Anyway .... thanks for the thoughts, I am fully open to the idea but probably something that will wait for a few years at this point.
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote