Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #51

Garage
Thanks, I just got it at The Home Depot and although it gives me extra insulation for sound and heat I wouldn't recommend 2 layers. Once I put my cabinets and everything back in it's making some of the vinyl flooring bow a bit and causing some of the click joints to separate so that's annoying, 1 roll was enough for 2 layers and that's the only reason I did it so I wouldn't waste product but in this case more is not better. For my bumpers I just rattle canned them by scuffing with a red 3m pad then primer on the bare metal and a rattle can of black paint, nothing special so it's easy to touch up if needed, I personally don't like liner on bumpers but I love it on my lower panels and wheel wells, good luck

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #52

Garage
Finally made it out for the first camping trip of the season for Mothers Day (I am lucky to have a wife that want to go camping on her special day)!!! I have been swamped with a huge remodel project after just recently buying a new house a couple months ago and a new baby (number 4), yea we are crazy....

Did a full transmission flush (dropped pan with new filter and flushed through coolant return line) and replaced the rear diff fluid with a new sealed and Lucas 75/140 Synthetic gear oil. Then we were off.

It was a cold rainy weekend in SLC so we headed south in search of perfect weather in the mid 70s and a little cloud coverage off and on and were not dissapointed:

2 of my boys

All 3 boys

Panorama of a little part of the little grand canyon

VAN

Van butt

The Wedge Overlook/Little Grand Canyon

Camp in Buckhorn Wash

Buckhorn wash pictograph

Another cool pictograph
Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #53

Garage
Awesome. Looks like a great trip.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #54

Garage
I love the San Rafael Swell, a really great place to spend some days.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #55

Garage
That about sums up what it is all about. Thanks for sharing your trip.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #56

Garage
Agreed, there is so much to explore in the area and I love how its all BLM land and you can disperse camp wherever. There is a little of everything, mountain biking, the little grand canyon, slot canyon hikes, pictographs and petroglyphs, off-roading galore, climbing, endless dirt roads and camping, etc etc, and the best part is way less people than many other areas like moab, arches, etc. I really love Escalante too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
I love the San Rafael Swell, a really great place to spend some days.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #57

Garage
So I have been doing a bunch of mandatory maintenance plus some preventative this summer.

My van has been pulling bad to the right while braking and I finally pulled off my calipers and found this on my drivers side.....

Got some new calipers and pads on, bled the fronts and good to go, cheapest mechanical thing I have done to my van, lol.

My starter also died so did some research and instead of keeping with the stock Mitsubishi I decided to upgrade to a moster of a starter know as the Denso from Japan and holy cow this thing is powerful.

just look at the size difference, this thing should last forever, it bolts up with 2 bolts instead of 3 but other than that was a super easy install.

And finally my stock transmission has 220k on the original transmission and I have been having my OD light flash on and off for a year and a half (haha, suprised its lasted me this long in that condition) the torque converter has been slipping but its getting to the point where it wont downshift on large hills so I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Both BTS and John Wood had about a month wait time so I did a bit more research and found that Dieselsite also seems to make a pretty nice transmission and decided to go with them and Dan there has been amazing and they built and Dyno tested mine in about a day then shipped it out the next, I was very pleased (no affiliation). Hopefully its the last transmission I will ever need.

I have the older E4OD and they upgrade and replace it with all 4r100 hardparts, all steel planetary gears, billet torque converter, 120% greater clutch surface, etc, etc, their site has all the details I wont bore you with. Seems like a pretty solid trans for a decent price considering and should be way better than a ford HD reman

Going on the dyno, getting installed next week here in Utah, can't wait to see the difference.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #58

Nice, nothing inspires more confidence in a truck than a shiny new beefy transmission. You'll enjoy that.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 AM   #59
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Nice, nothing inspires more confidence in a truck than a shiny new beefy transmission. You'll enjoy that.

That and the fact its dyno tested too!

Most rebuilder's know their craft well enough, have great confidence in their work to most times finish the work and install or ship the trans out. Knowing it was test run and monitored for a bit seems like a very smart approach.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #60

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
That and the fact its dyno tested too!

Most rebuilder's know their craft well enough, have great confidence in their work to most times finish the work and install or ship the trans out. Knowing it was test run and monitored for a bit seems like a very smart approach.
Yea my thoughts exactly, only a few people seem to beef up these transmissions correctly to make them as good as possible with today's technology and upgraded internals, and having a $250k dyno to test it out first is a nice plus for piece of mind.