Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #1

Garage
Nemesisnight - The Van Story

So I have lots of random threads around here and always meant to do a dedicated thread for my van but never got around to it, well its time..... So before joining the Sportsmobile ranks I had a 2000 VW Eurovan Winnebago camper in pristine condition. It was a great van and started my camper van itch. I lifted it and did just about everything I could to make it cool, useful, and what I wanted in a camper van.......except 4wd that is (more on that later) but it had decent clearance and worked for the time.

Started like this:

Turned into this:

Fast forward 2 years and we moved to Utah from AZ, well there is a ton of awesome areas to visit but the roads get rough and on one of these said trips I realized I didn't have the right kind of vehicle for the places I wanted to go but I still tried

Then this happened:

So I figured if I could sell this van I had done alot too and that was in really great shape (I fixed up the bumper) and make enough then I could go on the search for a Sportsmobile with 4wd and I had always liked them and wanted one but what seemed to mostly be 40k plus was always out of my price range. Well I sold the van pretty easy for $34k (payed $22) to a lady that flew in from Seattle to Utah and payed cash, score!!

This was our last trip before saying goodbye (10yr aniversary with the wife, not the van)

Now we can get on to the Sportsmobile since that's what we all like the most here.

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Garage
So then I was on the search for an affordable Sportsmobile and as many of us have had to search far and wide and non-stop for awhile and then I stumbled on a decently priced 1994 2wd van with a decent layout but much in need of an interior remodel/update but the body was super clean and rust free located in Colorado.

Hello van #2

So we went on a couple fun trips with this van and I had lots of big plans for it. I was talking with John at agile and planned on having them convert it to 4wd, and eventually updating and rebuilding the interior cabinets. After a couple trips though I realized that this van although bigger than the VW by a little, was probably still a bit too small being a RB and at this point I already have 3 boys and we plan on having a 4th and it only had seatbelts for 5.....hmmm well that's not going to work so back on the market it went and sold for a couple grand more than I payed and all I did was lots and lots of deep cleaning and a new alternator. Funny enough it went back to Colorado and I was on the search yet again for van #3, haha my wife was loving this (sarcasm).
Old 05-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

Garage
To be continued.....
Old 05-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

I'm interested in the whole story of your current van. It's definitely one of my favorites in terms of appearance on here.

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

Looking forward to the rest of this.
Gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
So

Now we can get on to the Sportsmobile since that's what we all like the most here.
Tony Grove in the Bear Range outside Logan?

Subscribed.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

Garage
Loving the story so far and the vans. I don't understand why wives get so upset when the only reason we switch vans in the first place is to make it better for everyone else but us ha ha.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
I'm interested in the whole story of your current van. It's definitely one of my favorites in terms of appearance on here.

BB
Sorry all I have been out camping for an extended weekend without service (maybe I am not sorry ). Thanks for the kind words BrianBlair there are a lot of cool rigs on here and I have slow plans to make mine better but I do love my current rig.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Tony Grove in the Bear Range outside Logan?

Subscribed.
Near Washington Lake in the Uintas, the night before we were at echo lake where we got the damage on the 4x4 road then we came down and camped here for a few nights.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Loving the story so far and the vans. I don't understand why wives get so upset when the only reason we switch vans in the first place is to make it better for everyone else but us ha ha.
Haha seriously, my wife always loves the end result she just gets tired of all the time and energy with the process. Trying to juggle it and family time can be a challenge with 3 little boys but the end result is us all spending tons of fun memories together.