Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #11

Re: NEW RIMS AND TIRES

Nice choice!

We don't do any super gnarly off road so that is a moot point, and I must say that the Toyo AT's are sooo much nicer on the road than the BFG MT KM's we had before.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #12

Auditioning a variety of tires is a costly affair and since most of our driving is on paved roads just to get to our destinations, it seems like a well behaved all terrain tire suits many of us. The Toyo and other M/T's are difficult for everyday driving, and finding the right A/T tire that can do everything well has been a hassle. Now after spending too much on several brands of tires I finally found one that works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
cooper.jpg  
Stymlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO

Related question for anyone - what do you torque your lug nuts to for these aluminum rims? I had been going with the steel wheel 140# spec and I have experienced some cracks between the hub and stud holes.
Factory F-Series aluminum wheels 150 lb-ft with flat, washered lugnuts. Coned lugs and 150# and aluminum wheels could be a problem.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #14

I've put some miles on BFG, Cooper, and Toyo. Really like the Coopers for all around driving. I haven't had any experience with the new Toyo AT2 but hear it's a big improvement. Keep us posted on how they handle. For what it's worth, excerpts from four by four review:
Test 1 - Toyo A/T Open Country
..Toyos did not perform well in the wet.... lost traction during cornering and high-speed maneuvers.
Test 2 - BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO radials
..BFGs bettered the Toyos in acceleration, braking, cornering and high-speed maneuvers. When the tires began to slip they were easy to pull back into control. A definite seat-of-the pants step up from the Toyos.
Test 3 - Cooper Discoverer A/T3
By my third lap on the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires I was sporting an ear-to-ear grin and the confidence of a rally driver. These tires outperformed the Toyos and even the BFGs when pushed in the wet.
We then ventured over to test the A/T3 in the mud pits. The tires tracked straight throughout the deep mud of the 100-yard course, never sticking even when coming to a complete stop in the deepest mud sections.
Stymlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #15

Garage

^^^ lap? were you driving these tires on a van on a track of some sort? the coopers are suprisingly expensive. ive seen some good reviews on this model from a few members on here now, but i may have to "settle" on the toyos until my next set.

im about to drop the hammer on 5 toyo at2's that i found for a really good deal ($1060 shipped). would love to hear an updated real world review on these tires.

ive ran bfg's for years and years with zero complaints, but seeing their track record with these heavyass vans (that i have no experience with), im quite skepticle. i cant afford to chance it. these toyos are still new enough that nobody really has a solid review on them.

other than the all terrain t/a's on my toyota, i dont really have experience with a/t tires. carwise, i know what rules, but this is all new territory for me. im scared, lol. hate getting stuck with tires im tring to wear out so i can replace them.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #16

NEW RIMS AND TIRES

I have Cooper A/T3's on my DD. It's a 2005 GMC Sierra 4wd. I have over 65k on them. In fact I need another set right now. I have never got more than 50k on another brand of tires on a 4wd truck. I would have already bought them except I've been having an issue with that truck that needed corrected. I will also be getting a set for the van.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote