Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

New to me, 05 SMB 6.0L

Hi all, just acquired this from a fellow member here. I really love this van and the additions to it done by the previous owner (solar and aluminess bumper to name a few).

Just got back from over a week long trip to Utah, Vegas, and the Overland Expo. Being the typical male, I did not read anything about the coach until it became an issue on the road (nothing major). I figured the solar would keep everything up and running forever. It pretty much did until the very end. Ran my refrigerator non-stop for over a week, and the AC intermittently as needed. Very impressive!

On the way back to So Cal it looked like the house battery either died or something in the charging system was not working. After charging it at home on 110 it looks like it corrected the problem. Since then I have been reading as much as I can in the FAQ's on electrical.

Thanks to everyone who puts so much into this site!

I am going to do my own oil changes and are looking for into on how to do this (I've had F250 6.0 but I hear it's much different). If any of you can help me w/ the best way to do this I would appreciate it. Is the oil filter under and away from the engine?

jeepone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: New to me, 05 SMB 6.0L

Welcome and congrats.

Solar is great, but it doesn't provide anywhere near the power necessary to keep up with the AC if the engine is not running. Running AC off just the batteries is a HUGE drain on the battery and stresses it incredibly. I would not recommend running AC without the engine running, unless you are connected to shore power.

Herb
Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #3

Young lady, welcome to the forum! We're glad to have new members that are so young and energetic. I must say that I'm impressed you did as well as you did on your first trip. Your basic understanding of electronics is impressive for your age. My only two questions are How do you see over the dashboard?, and Do your parents know you bought this rig? I would ask about your choice of beer, but hey, any beer is good beer!

Lol, all kidding aside, welcome to the forum.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

Nice rig! What is the interior layout?

Great star pic also.

Going to be a great summer with that thing!
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
Nice rig! What is the interior layout?

Great star pic also.

Going to be a great summer with that thing!

Sorry, do not have any great photos of the layout. Goucho in the rear, sink on passenger side and short seat that converts into a shower just behind the driver's seat, micro and fridge behind that. Obviously has bed above goucho as well.

86 that was funny about the little lady!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome aboard. Your starry picture looks like you were camping just north of Las Vegas. Enjoy your new world of Sportsmobiling.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

yeah i read back over that and was hoping you wouldn't think i was being a jerk. Most of my photos have my kids in them too and never a picture of me. Most of mine have a cold beer in them too! Enjoy your new rig, it's sweet!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepone007

I am going to do my own oil changes and are looking for into on how to do this (I've had F250 6.0 but I hear it's much different). If any of you can help me w/ the best way to do this I would appreciate it. Is the oil filter under and away from the engine?
Welcome to the group. With regards to the oil change;
Do you have the factory oil filter setup or the aftermarket AMSOIL setup?
Crawl under and tell us what you see.
Are there two remote filters (white and black) right about directly under the drivers seat or is there just one filter mounted directly to the block?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepone007

Welcome to the group. With regards to the oil change;
Do you have the factory oil filter setup or the aftermarket AMSOIL setup?
Crawl under and tell us what you see.
Are there two remote filters (white and black) right about directly under the drivers seat or is there just one filter mounted directly to the block?
Sorry to take so long to reply...just changed it on my own...it has the factory setup. I drained the oil first, then removed the filter and it had a lot of oil in it. On my old truck it siphoned it back into the pan when the filter cap was removed. Did I do it wrong?

Thanks,