Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #21

Re: New To The Fold INTERIOR!

I love your setup. I have always wanted to do a "transformer" style interior so that I can haul my motorcycles. I have a honda valkyrie and a KLX400. My van is open on the left side so the motorcycle will be crowding that wall much like yours does on the right. I couldn't tell from your pics, how you secured the right side of the bike. Can you post a pic of the right side? Also, what model/brand wheel chock did you use? Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #22

Very Nice setup! What is that little heater you have? I'd like to have something similar in our van and was wondering about the power source and output? Thanks!
dstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #23

bronco76 in the 2n & 3rd pic on the previous page you can see the E rail bolted to the floor. That is where my tie downs attach to. I'll check on the chock brand - don't know the brand off the top of my head.

dstark, the heater is a ceramic heater form Camping World, Pelonis is the brand.
It uses 1500 watts and I'm not sure how well the house batteries will last with it.
110v power.
Heats well though - we have become believers in the ceramic heaters.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
It uses 1500 watts and I'm not sure how well the house batteries will last with it.
That's the same as my toaster. Somewhere I calculated something like for 8 minutes a day for 3 days without totally killing my 2x 4D batteries. Actually it's only 1300w:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5418&view=next

Generally it's bad if you can watch the voltage fall by whole volts when something is on.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
bronco76 in the 2n & 3rd pic on the previous page you can see the E rail bolted to the floor. That is where my tie downs attach to. I'll check on the chock brand - don't know the brand off the top of my head.
I looked at the pics and it looks like the left side of the bike has a strap running from the handlebar to somewhere beside/behind the second row captain chair and I can't tell where the right side handlebar strap is going. Those were the securing points I was interested in. I like your setup with the E rail though and It gives me an idea of how to do mine. If you have any pics of the right/front of bike strapped in, I would like to see it.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #26

max,

I think I saw you today out in the Gresham area(on Powell at 182nd)...Might not have been ya, but there can't be too many SMB topped vans running around here! Anyways, great looking rig!

Frosty

edit: maybe it wasn't you...I think I saw black wheels on that one, unless you powder coated yours?
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #27

Bronco76 here is the right and left side tie down points just in front of the rear wheelwells.
The wheel chock comes from Mac's.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/4/Motorcycle

frosty I was in Tigard today but my van was at Van Specialties finishing off the interior details - no black wheels on my rig!
My van now fits two full sized motorcycles.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #28

Max, I see it now! Thank you very much for sharing your setup with us. To fit two motorcycles, did you end up angling them or putting them in opposite directions? Also, is it difficult to roll them up the ramp when putting them in the van? My Valkyrie weighs aprox. 600 lbs so I am going to have to come up with a safe way to load/unload the fat girl.
Attached Thumbnails
black valkyrie 008.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #29

bronco as you probably know you only have apprx 48" in height to get a bike in. Might have to pull your windshield.
I have to pull my mirrors...
Yes the second chock is toed out. Both nose in (Triumph & a WR250).
I'll get pics soon.
My plan was and maybe still, is to pull a heavier bike in with a floor mounted atv winch.
I guarantee you will have your hands full loading/unloading that bike!
Oh, I bought my folding ramp at discount ramps.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #30

I made some initial measurements and I should just be able to fit. Pulling wind screen, mirrors etc. will definitely be req'd. A controlled ascent/descent is in the plan albeit I am far from actually implementing anything. I'm thinking of a way to use the already mounted winch on the front bumper, add brackets, pulleys and a re-sealable hole in the floor for the cable to route through. It'll be a two person operation with one running the winch and maybe an extra wide ramp. But... I like the idea of an ATV winch as you mention too.

It will be quite involved just to get a motorcycle into the van but when you live in Arizona in the middle of the summer, it's just too hot and far sometimes to travel to cooler country on the bike. We would also have the added benefit of coming back to the sportsmobile instead of staying in hotels the whole time. I'll probably start with the KLX and work up to the Valkyrie!