Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #71

Re: New To The Fold INTERIOR!

Seldom come by here so very sorry for my late response.
My tires in the photos here are 285 - 17 Nitto all terrains. Currently I am running 295 - 17 Toyo mud terrains.

I have 60K miles on my 'new' 2010. Been a good van.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #72
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

GREAT VAN!! And I would probably buy gas for life on the savings from a factory build! Alas I am not talented in measuring or building…you can run a clinic next, for those that are building challenged! See you on the road! Ps. Any ideas on a simple rack or single wheel trailer/rack/? to s=carry some tiny 50's or 80's (dirt bikes) on the back utilizing a hitch?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #73

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb
... Ps. Any ideas on a simple rack or single wheel trailer/rack/? to s=carry some tiny 50's or 80's (dirt bikes) on the back utilizing a hitch?
i bought a rack on ebay that holds 2 full sized bikes for around 200 bucks. its designed to be used on a pickup with the bikes handlebars over the pickup bed, so its not quite long enough to put 2 bikes on it using the rack on the van, but i modified it so that i can with some receiver stock from the local metal store. crappy cell pic, but you get the idea.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #74

What was the cost of the rear in floor storage?
dude1play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #75

Our 2010 Quad/Sport/Specialties van is still kickin' it. Just did Wa to San Diego & return pulling a small trailer with a bike in it. The V10 does a good job, especially when just 'touring' vs trying to 'make time'. Still we had a 800 mile day.
All our systems work good, although we had Van Specialties re-work some wiring underneath that had corrosion. It was not Van Specialties wiring that need re-doing - it was someone else's install (Viair compressors/tank.

Nearly 6 years later, our QuadVan 4x4 bracketry could use pulling and powdercoating.
They all have a rusty layer. I believe powdercoating will last longer on steel underpinnings (than paint).

Our interior has stayed cherry. Paint has stay cherry - I have stayed away from desert pin striping. At 60K plus miles I am about ready for the third set of tires. I will keep with the 295's.
Courtesy lights are the biggest negative on our van. There is NO REASON why exterior van lights and trailer lights should come on in the middle of the night when you go outside. Argh.. Grrr...
Our van is small for extended get aways. We are looking at a B+ or C class motorhome. I think we will be able to swing keeping my beloved Ford though for the desert boon docking.
Oh, to answer and earlier question on this thread, Van Specialties supplies the under floor storage. Sportsmobile does too I believe. Your spare has to go to the rear.
Discount ramps has a huge selection of receiver hitch attached carriers.

This is just an update on our 5-6 year old van doing well. My design (luckily) has served us well. We are using it fairly sparingly these days.

I always enjoy the same good 'ole longer term members here keeping up with the glorious E350! Right on! Go DaveB.

Gotta love the Hammers. And no I haven't made it to Back Door to park with the other Sportsmobiles.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #76

Sweet buggy Max!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #77

Still one of my favorite vans on this forum. So simple and so functional!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #78

Thanks guys. Yes my beloved buggy that I am lucky enough to keep in socal. It bangs around the desert pretty good. Its street legal but it came with the trailer.
The Popo just hassled me about driving it on the street and made me point my off road lights at the sky lol. Its needs light covers.
I am surprised not many have used my folding bed idea on their vans. Its a simple idea and deserves to be duplicated. Thanks for the plug Mikracer. I still love it.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #79

Great van - thanks for the ideas and inspiration. I'll be using the bed idea for sure, as my van (whenever I get it!) will be for work, play, camping, etc so I need the space to be easily convertible.
greggearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #80

"Courtesy lights are the biggest negative on our van. There is NO REASON why exterior van lights and trailer lights should come on in the middle of the night when you go outside. Argh.. Grrr..."

I agree, that has been the single most aggravating aspect of our van. I've been looking for a fix ever since we got it in 2013 before they discontinued the E-series line. Ford dealers have nothing to say about it (both sales and service depts.), Sportsmobile won't touch it, can't find anything on the internet that tells how to disable it. I do know that Ford police vehicles have a 'dark' mode so that exterior and interior lights do not activate when a door is opened. It CAN be done. Does anyone have any ideas (besides the rude and crude method of pinning in the buttons on the doors)? Whoever has a solution will have legions of van owners forever grateful. It might even get me to use an emoticon!

Jack
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote