Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #91

Is this what you need? COURTESY LAMP OVER-RIDE SWITCH:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/C-51.PDF

Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #92

That would take care of the interior lights, but not address the exterior (parking) lights, which are the bigger issue (i.e., lighting up the neighborhood, campsite, astronomy viewing, etc. in the middle of the night if you open a door). There is a clean, and I would say, elegant, way to fix this, as 2xplore explained, through the computer code in the van.The path seems to be to connect the dealer's computer to the van and find the programming menu in which one will find the lighting options to disable. I believe BroncoHauler gave us the code: P71.This should give any one of us the necessary info to go to a dealer and get this done. I'll try this myself when I get the time.

By the way, turning the dimmer dial all the way down doesn't work in the van, unfortunately.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #93

2xlpore needs to mention the dealer he took it to. I live in the NW an have had no luck. I will mention the P71 code next time in.
I have talked to regional & factory reps with no luck.

There was a sequence mentioned some time back on this forum that was supposed to work. It didn't lol. All it did was make my headlights stay on full time.
I need to reverse that.

Interesting lead Teutonics, I will look into it.

Here is a twist... we are getting into a Merc RV soon. There is some neat stuff coming out these days...
Old 07-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #94

P71 is the model designation for the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor .
Police Interceptors will have the characters P71 as the model code in the VIN
Ask your Ford technician about ...
"Police dark mode" or "dark car" when enabled allows you to override the Illuminated Entry/Exit feature where the cabin, parking, and courtesy lights turn on whenever you enter/exit the vehicle.
police officers do not want to draw attention to themselves whenever the lights turn on as they enter/exit the vehicle.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan View Post
P71 is the model designation for the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor .
Police Interceptors will have the characters P71 as the model code in the VIN
Ask your Ford technician about ...
"Police dark mode" or "dark car" when enabled allows you to override the Illuminated Entry/Exit feature where the cabin, parking, and courtesy lights turn on whenever you enter/exit the vehicle.
police officers do not want to draw attention to themselves whenever the lights turn on as they enter/exit the vehicle.
Thanks for clarifying the meaning of P71.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
"Courtesy lights are the biggest negative on our van. There is NO REASON why exterior van lights and trailer lights should come on in the middle of the night when you go outside. Argh.. Grrr..."

I agree, that has been the single most aggravating aspect of our van. I've been looking for a fix ever since we got it in 2013 before they discontinued the E-series line. Ford dealers have nothing to say about it (both sales and service depts.), Sportsmobile won't touch it, can't find anything on the internet that tells how to disable it. I do know that Ford police vehicles have a 'dark' mode so that exterior and interior lights do not activate when a door is opened. It CAN be done. Does anyone have any ideas (besides the rude and crude method of pinning in the buttons on the doors)? Whoever has a solution will have legions of van owners forever grateful. It might even get me to use an emoticon!

Jack
I have some ideas for a fix here. I'm pretty familiar with the circuits involved and the module that controls those circuits. Let me do some digging...
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #97

I've been traveling and missed this request earlier...but Lakewood Ford in Lakewood, WA is the dealer that fixed the issue for me. I would imagine a phone call to them if you're not in the area might get you the info you need.
2xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #98

Garage
Great job on the minimalist interior, I'm about to start my build and you've given me some great ideas.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #99

I guess this is a good thread to share my updated interior in my 89 Econoline. Found a complete interior from an 81 Vanagon that was in good enough shape to take on my first project. I removed the old worthless refrigerator and that space is a big cupboard. The 2 burner stove tops are still there but currently not hooking a propane tank to the underside of the van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160724_151534494_HDR.jpg   IMG_20160724_151553649.jpg   IMG_20160724_173954921.jpg   IMG_20160802_132038525.jpg  
New World Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration View Post
Thank you.

The beds have folding legs for using singly.
I have aluminum cross bars (as originally designed) for the full width bed.

Another thanks to you - this is a great convertible interior. I just picked up a cargo van with one front bench, and while it's a 12 pass length, not the 15/extended body like yours, I think I can make it work. We'll see.
greggearhead is offline   Reply With Quote