Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #21

Re: Oakland/Bigfoot 20' Class C 4x4

I'm finding for us, everything about a short C is convenient. It was supper comfortable for the kids and wife to travel in. Having all the amenities sure was nice but we still felt agile and capable enough to explore.
The 460 with 4:10 gears performed flawless and even with loaded tanks and gear it chugged along with plenty of power. I tracked our milage and averaged 10.5 mpg with a best of 11.5 mpg, not bad for a very up and down I-15.

gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #22

I'm the first in line too buy it. Theres a nice 24' Bigfoot in Alberta for you on kijiji. lol.

Very cool that this conversion was done by yourself. Congrats.
poloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloturbo
I'm the first in line too buy it. Theres a nice 24' Bigfoot in Alberta for you on kijiji. lol.

Very cool that this conversion was done by yourself. Congrats.
Hahaha you and the previous owner of Bigfoot (Son) can hash it out on the first dibs, i'll certainly let you know when it comes available. I actually still look on Kijiji all the time, there are a couple newer 24' for sale, but they sure want a pretty penny for them...but they are worth it.
Here's a picture of our convoy to Moab a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #24

Before we decided to build a van out for our America's trip we were planning on just touring the US in our 6.7 Cummins and Bigfoot 25RQ. Hands down that was the best travel trailer. We loved it and miss it but our family has gone the other direction, lost both four legged babies in 9 months, so we're back in a van. That 20 footer with a Ujoint under it is a definite sweet spot for off road campers. One day maybe the DRW to SRW conversion Earth Roamer does? I think it prevents airing down the rear tires though.

In short, freaking awesome!

-John
Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
Before we decided to build a van out for our America's trip we were planning on just touring the US in our 6.7 Cummins and Bigfoot 25RQ. Hands down that was the best travel trailer. We loved it and miss it but our family has gone the other direction, lost both four legged babies in 9 months, so we're back in a van. That 20 footer with a Ujoint under it is a definite sweet spot for off road campers. One day maybe the DRW to SRW conversion Earth Roamer does? I think it prevents airing down the rear tires though.

In short, freaking awesome!

-John
Thanks for sharing that. We have only had both the slide in camper and now the C from Bigfoot but hear nothing but great things about their travel trailers. I certainly have thought about DRW to SRW conversion but for now I need to just get out and use it. Thanks again for the compliments.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #26

Anytime.

We've owned several different campers and really like the fiberglass one's, Bigfoot being the best in our opinion. I can't tell if your exterior is all fiberglass or not since they switched a couple of times. It looks bonded in the photos. I'm sure you know this but like boats, keep them waxed and that will help the exterior last a long time. We used Meguiars but some fiberglass RV owners like their wax like we like our fuels so use what you prefer. Living in Florida we had to do ours twice a year and she was all dull when we bought her. After a full fiberglass restoration kit, and really sore arms and elbows, she had that fiberglass shine. Subsequent waxing was much easier.

I should probably ask Bigfoot for some type of kick back since I've become such an evangelist. Ours had a molded one piece shower (no seams - yeah), enclosed tanks (not heating elements taped underneath), ducted furnace, etc... The big difference is all of the systems ran under the floor so the cabinets weren't full of the typical RV boxed over stuff, they went to the wall for tons of storage. That's huge compared to all of the other brands we looked at! They are heavy though.

We considered pulling the bed off our truck, having a custom flatbed installed and getting a Bigfoot truck camper instead of building out a van. Probably would have been cheaper but we like the pass through access instead of getting out then back in. Plus we once owned a Pleasure-way van, another great product for what it's for - build quality like none other, and learned we are van people. Albeit, a super small 4x4'd class C is close enough!

If we had the means we'd have some franken home built pop-top Bigfoot truck camper on a cutaway van chassis, Ujointed of course. Something like an XP camper but with a Four Wheel Camper type of pop-up system. OR, we'd take a 4-door jeep and mount a Mangiolina RTT as a pop-top to act kind of like the penthouse top does. If we were offered a diesel version of the 4-door here in the states we would have had a much harder time picking our vehicle. GVWR is low for the 4-door though. The Ursa Minor top for the jeep is pretty sweet, as is the one made for the Defender [drool], but now that we have a top that adds the head space to the entire length we're a bit spoiled. Trying to build out a stealth and in-camp floor plan in such a Jeep could end in divorce. I can already see Mandi's face if I said "your clothing space is half this bin". Two full bins in the van is already a problem, not counting shoes, jackets, rain and sporting specific gear. That's something we already miss from the Bigfoot.

Anyway, sorry for the digression, you have a great set-up that we appreciate.

-John
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #27

Love your Rig! We will be looking for something very similar in the next few years.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #28

Thanks for the compliments. This rig has really been working well for our family. I have done a few trips pulling larger trailers and it just chugs along and handles amazing. Earlier this year I tracked down and purchased another one of these units. Its only got 17,000 original miles and is mint. Now to decide what to do with it or my existing one.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #29

Now we have to see pics of that one too!

Curious as to what other brand C's you considered. We too are no lightly browsing a larger rig and I really like the Born Free models. They have a really nice layout on a 24 ft chassis with rear bath and cab-over bunk. We are running into the space issue with our SMB now with a little guy and a dog and the side facing guacho, there isn't room to budge when the bed is made up.

Regardless, just curious as to what you came across when shopping.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
Now we have to see pics of that one too!
Here she is.