Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #11

Re: Our 2004 GTRV! Moby Jr.

Brian, yeah the AC was originally there and vents out through a vented side panel behind it. You can see the vents in the picture with my daughter. The cabinet is covered in waterproofing, fitted for a window AC and Mike (who builds the GTRVs in Sebastopol) recommended I just replace it myself.

Thanks Carring. I've never done an axle conversion myself. I am a DIYer, but not the most mechanically experienced, so I'm hesitant to jump right in. I feel comfortable handling lift kits since they are generally fairly easy even for mechanical noobs like me. Do you have any more info on axle conversions?

Dave, I did email Ujoint about his partial 4x4 conversion, how much it would cost, but haven't heard back from him yet. If I had the money right now, I would probably go with either his or Agile 4x4 or Quadvan.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
If you want to lift it, why not just do a solid axle conversion? It won't cost much more than a lift kit, assuming you find a good condition used axle. Then, when you decide its time for 4x4, you just need a T-case, driveline, and fuel tank!
Exactly, even if you never complete the 4x4 conversion it will have a higher resale value since most of the hard work is already done. You'll spend a bit more $$ going this route but you know that you want 4wd eventually
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofwater
I've never done an axle conversion myself. I am a DIYer, but not the most mechanically experienced, so I'm hesitant to jump right in. I feel comfortable handling lift kits since they are generally fairly easy even for mechanical noobs like me. Do you have any more info on axle conversions?
Chris (@UJoint) has a good video on his page showing how its done. His kits come with all the parts you need, and there's an extra template you can buy to easier locate the spring shackle bolts. There shouldn't be anything terribly complicated, but the parts are heavy, and a lift would certainly make the work easier.

I myself prefer coil-sprung front ends, so I'm having QuadVan do mine. Just a front axle and lift at this point, and then we'll do the rest once I figure out how I'm going to modernize the transmission.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

I say use the h#$% out of this beauty and THEN sell it and go for another USED 4x4 SMB!! In the end it will probably be less money and you'll get exactly what you want…PLUS you can mark the areas you visit now, to go back to when you have 4x4... and the kids can help push/winch out! Happy trails…and as a teacher, travel and family time is (My opinion) is the best education you can give a child….WAY TO GO!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofwater
I've never done an axle conversion myself. I am a DIYer, but not the most mechanically experienced, so I'm hesitant to jump right in. I feel comfortable handling lift kits since they are generally fairly easy even for mechanical noobs like me. Do you have any more info on axle conversions?
Chris (@UJoint) has a good video on his page showing how its done. His kits come with all the parts you need, and there's an extra template you can buy to easier locate the spring shackle bolts. There shouldn't be anything terribly complicated, but the parts are heavy, and a lift would certainly make the work easier.

I myself prefer coil-sprung front ends, so I'm having QuadVan do mine. Just a front axle and lift at this point, and then we'll do the rest once I figure out how I'm going to modernize the transmission.
I LOVE JON @ Quadvan!!! Man does he do GREAT WORK!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote