Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

Picked up my first SPORTSMOBILE!

Hello all!

After about 6 months of searching for a SMB, I finally found one that I could not pass up.

A little about me-
just turned 28 on Monday, I live in coastal Orange County and work in Los Angeles. I love traveling; I've been around the world several times, and have enjoyed time on every continent except for Antarctica, which I'm doing in 2 years. I love driving, I basically drive for a living (Law Enforcement), and would love to drive through all 50 states (+1 Sportsmobile!). I often work 16+ hour shifts, my commute is about 2.5 hours. Thats precious sleep time that I miss out on with those late shifts. So I plan on spending a couple nights a month sleeping in my van (+1 Sportsmobile!)

I've been off-roading a lifted and locked jeep wrangler for about 10 years, and realized that with the right locker and tire combo, you can go most places (within reason) with 2wd. I plan on 95% roads, and 5% truck trails. So 2wd makes sense from a practicality standpoint.

My hobbies are rock climbing, scuba, shooting, hiking and MT biking. So when I found this "unique" layout, I had to jump on it. I love the rear space for storage.

I fly out on Thursday to Oregon to pick her up.
So some of the details-
99 E250
'00 SMB build
52K miles
One CA owner
5.4L V8
Power Penthosue
rear parking sensors

Feel free to look at the photobucket for more pics. They are from the seller.

My Mod plan-
get rid of the decal stripe
remove body kit (as long as it doesn't screw up the body)
Action Van lift / wheels/ tires
choose a locker (Detroit / arb ?) I have a full time Detroit on my wrangler that is great for off road, and "eh" for onroad
change gold drawer pulls
solar?

1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Picked up my first SPORTSMOBILE!

That looks like a great SMB! Welcome to the group.

Justin

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

Nice rig! I've always thought that would be a great location for the fridge, as it could be accessed from outside or inside (too bad they don't make some fancy door that opens both ways though).

I like the versatile space in back for tubs or gear - I would have preferred that to little compartments.

One thing to check on. I can't say for sure as this doesn't look like the typical stripes from the late 90's, but mine and others like it from that era were painted on, not "stickers." Since yours is a different style it may be a vinyl sticker (and you may already know this), in which case it will be much easier to remove. I suppose since it wasn't originally an SMB (from new) that may account for the difference.

Congrats!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Congrats on the rig!
Looks really clean!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! If I recall the converstation correctly, the decal is a sticker. If its not, I suppose I'll just have to live with it!! (Or get a wrap )
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
Old 10-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Wellcome here.
Both the van and the interieure looks loke they are in a fantastic condition
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

One other comment (and this is just because of course people like us look at various layouts, and see things we want (more projects on the list!) or things we might change.

In the latter category, unless there is some reason preventing it that I can't see, I would likely prefer the porta-potti door to open into the hallway, and then just pull the potti out into the hallway to use (could have privacy curtain). That's how my SMB was. The way yours is is kind of luxurious, but basically then wastes the entire 24" square space behind it (where you now pull it out into). That's huge valuable real estate! Anyway, just an idea. I do love the rig! If mind had had a power top/EB I would likely still own it.

PS: I had an E-250 2WD with 5.4 as well. Main difference was it was an RB. At any rate, I loved the 5.4 and never felt it was too small, even when I was towing 4,000#+ in the mountains. Friend of mine owns it now and it's still purring along with over 150k on the clock.

PPS: I think if you do a bit of searching, you'll find where quite a few folks have removed those molded fiberglass board/flare thingies. My SMB had simple aluminum ones so I never removed them. My current (non-SMB) rig has the fiberglass ones, and although there would be quite a few holes if I removed them, it looks like the holes for the flare part would be on the underside of the wheelwell. So maybe not too visible... The running board part is held on with brackets wherein the holes are well underneath. 'course yours might be slightly different. At any rate, many people have removed them to eliminate the slight "grandpa" look they tend to give a rig these days.

OTOH, I've seen folks re-shape them (removing some material) and/or paint them a dark color, and then they look kind of cool. So maybe another option.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

Welcome!

Beautiful van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
One other comment (and this is just because of course people like us look at various layouts, and see things we want (more projects on the list!) or things we might change.

In the latter category, unless there is some reason preventing it that I can't see, I would likely prefer the porta-potti door to open into the hallway, and then just pull the potti out into the hallway to use (could have privacy curtain). That's how my SMB was. The way yours is is kind of luxurious, but basically then wastes the entire 24" square space behind it (where you now pull it out into). That's huge valuable real estate! Anyway, just an idea. I do love the rig! If mind had had a power top/EB I would likely still own it.

PS: I had an E-250 2WD with 5.4 as well. Main difference was it was an RB. At any rate, I loved the 5.4 and never felt it was too small, even when I was towing 4,000#+ in the mountains. Friend of mine owns it now and it's still purring along with over 150k on the clock.

PPS: I think if you do a bit of searching, you'll find where quite a few folks have removed those molded fiberglass board/flare thingies. My SMB had simple aluminum ones so I never removed them. My current (non-SMB) rig has the fiberglass ones, and although there would be quite a few holes if I removed them, it looks like the holes for the flare part would be on the underside of the wheelwell. So maybe not too visible... The running board part is held on with brackets wherein the holes are well underneath. 'course yours might be slightly different. At any rate, many people have removed them to eliminate the slight "grandpa" look they tend to give a rig these days.

OTOH, I've seen folks re-shape them (removing some material) and/or paint them a dark color, and then they look kind of cool. So maybe another option.
Maybe black rhinoline on the fiberglass after the lift would look good! I'll have to take to my Photoshop skills....

Great thoughts on the layout. I'll definitely see how livable it is in is current layout before I start changing things. But I agree with you on the toilet placement. I really dont see myself using the toilet much, if any.
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500