Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #1

Review of HI-LIFT Handle-All Multi-purpose tool

In an effort to add value to the forum rather than just take your fine advise and experience, I wrote this review. Happy reading.

I just purchased the HI-LIFT Handle-All Multi-purpose tool to give myself greater self rescue capabilities.

Initially I had planned to just carry my short shovel and my pulaski tool for digging myself out of trouble if needed.

After the first trip, I realized I don't have a convenient place to carry full sized tools with a family of four in the van. I started a search for an alternative and decided on the HI-LIFT Handle-All Multi-purpose tool.
I don't use the Aluminess bumpers and didn't want them strapped on the rear tire given how little I expect to use them.

http://www.hi-lift.com/handle-all/index.html

From ebay it was ~$150 with shipping.

The review from Popular Mechanics
HOW IT WORKS /// This four-in-one off-road recovery tool (including shovel, axe, pickaxe and sledgehammer) has a two-piece telescoping handle that’s held together with strong, yet easy to operate, quick release Tab-Lok pins. You can shorten the handle for working in tight spaces by simply removing one of the tubes. The tool heads have been CNC’s to fit snuggle into the tubes. They are also held in place with TAB-LOK pins.

The pics:
The heads of the tools:

The pins holding the heads and the two piece handle:

The assembled size relative to my short handled shovel:

The packed away size including all the heads relative to my short handled shovel:

Hi-Lift head sizes compared to my normal home tools:

My view is that the tools certainly meets my more compact requirements and I appreciate the utility of having all four heads although I'm not sure I'll use them all. The length of the handle is similar to the length of a full ax handle or a short shovel. I also think I'll be able to use the handles as a cheater bar for my lug nut wrench if needed.

The handle doesn't telescope, rather it fits within one another when assembled like an umbrella stand. You pin it to secure the linkage. Likewise, you pin the head. The metal handle rotates somewhat with each pin so there is a rotational looseness that I expected but still don't like.

There is no grip on the metal handle so I am concerned it will become slippery when in extended use. I'll just be extra careful that it doesn't become a dangerous flying object.

All the pieces are jumbled into the carry bag with no separate pouches or padding nor do any of the heads have covers. I expect I'll need to add some padding so I don't add yet another rattle to my van.

Conclusion: It fits my needs but like many things some compromises were made to achieve the goal.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a Max Axe which has been around for a number of years. I have a similar impression that a multi-use tool does so by making compromises, but I'm willing to accept that.

Herb
Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #3

You can try painting the outside tube with Plasti-Dip which I use on wrench handles and parts- it basically makes a plastic coating. Since it looks like both pieces go in to the outside tube it will at least give you a grip on 1/2 the handle.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #4

Jage,

Good suggestion on the handle.
Thanks.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote