Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #31

Re: Scottman's EB E350 EB27

Nice truck!

Did someone say East Coast Rally?
Vermont this fall, Overland Rally?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #32

Just got back from a week in the SMB with the family in the Cherokee Natl Forest in East TN. It couldn't have been better. Well, maybe without the constant rain.

This was our first "long" trip and the SMB performed flawlessly.

First time I've geared up enough to need the additional space on the roof and the Aluminess rack was nice to have. Strapped the canopy, chairs, and bike gear in a hard case up top freeing up the inside cargo area for more living space. And I still only used about 10% of the available space up top.

It rained every day, so a lot of the leisure time outside was gone. We hiked, biked, and rafted outside, but there was no down time by the fire or just hanging out watching the sunset. It just rained, a lot. Consequently once we were back at camp we stayed inside. We were grateful for the EB. With our layout there is enough room for all 4 of us to hang out in the van without getting in each others way.

Was planning to use the Danhard unit at night based on the avg weather in July, but with all the rain the temps were in the high 60s and low 70s at night. Could have gotten by without shore power at all I think with judicious use of the microwave and running the van occasionally by going into town for dinner, etc. Shore power was nice to have anyway though.

If anyone else is interested this is where we stayed. We basically had the campsite to ourselves, but I'm sure that was due to the rainy forecast, apparently this is a very popular site during the summer. Clean facilities and some of the spots are well screened by trees from the neighboring spots. We'd go back for sure.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cherokee ... 8&actid=31

And here is the trail map of the area, about 20 miles of single and double track. Plenty to keep us busy with the kids, and the Tenasi IMB Epic is close at hand as well.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 278520.pdf

We rafted the Hiwassee river as the kids were too young for the Ocoee (12yo min). Hiwassee Outfitters have a great facility, it's clean, has a great atmosphere, and a restaurant on site too. Excellent family river experience, both for the whitewater and the scenery.
http://www.hiwasseeoutfitters.com/
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #33

Sweet Scottman! That's right down the road from us. I live up in Maryville, off 411. That's a CG I haven't been to yet but I will have to check it out!
Here's a link to a recent trip we made just up the road from where you were, in the NW corner of Georgia:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...103424#p103424

We're headed back down to Ft. Mountain next weekend, which is another one in the same area.

Sorry you got stuck in the rain in a van with 4 all weekend. Been there done that!

Eric

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #34

We've been using an 8" free standing canopy while camping, it works ok, but doesn't help getting in/out in the rain since it's not tall enough to clear the doors. This afternoon my Bus Depot awning came in and I set it up to test fit.

Seems to work great. Takes a bit longer to put up than the canopy, maybe similar to a small tent. Clamps easily to the rain gutter when the PH is up. In this pic I tried using their drive over brackets first. It worked for the rear, but not even close for the front, but I can bolt the legs to the nerf bar brackets front and back for a clean, no guide line setup.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #35

Spent 3 days at Natchez Trace in Middle TN. Hauled the bikes, and kayaks.

Also finally had an opportunity to use the busdepot canopy. Loving this setup. (note that I did opt not to mount the legs on the van after more testing, too much stress on the rain gutter clamps, IMO.)

Water access at the site was nice.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #36

Couple of trips in September.

Long weekend to Syllamo Trails in Mt View, AR. Great mountain bike trails tucked into the the Ozarks.

Camped on the banks of Syllamore Creek.

Attached Thumbnails
syllamore1.JPG   syllamore.JPG   syllamore11.JPG  
Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #37

Then Saturday we used the van to haul the kayaks to the Wolf River that winds through the middle of our suburb outside Memphis, TN.

Attached Thumbnails
wolfriver1.JPG   wolfriver11.JPG