Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Snow handling

I'm booked all weekend but leave a note at the ski school ticket office if you'd like to meet up. I'll free up after 3.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
I'm booked all weekend but leave a note at the ski school ticket office if you'd like to meet up. I'll free up after 3.
Kewl, if you see two telemarkers sliding/slinking around it might be us. I'll look for your SMB in the pkng lot. I've been there in the summer while mtn biking Aspen Vista to Raven's Ridge. I don't recall the area being that big. Should be fun. Looking forward to knocking around SF as well.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

I have to concur. 33" tires look a tad small. I have 285/75R/R16's and was thinking of going with 305/70R (same 33" ht) for a bit wider footprint but am also interested in 315s. But there's not many E-rated options in a 315 (~35") on 16" rims. That, and there is the possibility of rubbing or hitting the bushwhackers? Or, is that only an issue on the newer Ford body style?
My 315's never rubbed. Maybe possible at full suspension tilt on a turn. The Toyo MT is E rated in the 315's on 16" rims.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Quote:

I have to concur. 33" tires look a tad small. I have 285/75R/R16's and was thinking of going with 305/70R (same 33" ht) for a bit wider footprint but am also interested in 315s. But there's not many E-rated options in a 315 (~35") on 16" rims. That, and there is the possibility of rubbing or hitting the bushwhackers? Or, is that only an issue on the newer Ford body style?
My 315's never rubbed. Maybe possible at full suspension tilt on a turn. The Toyo MT is E rated in the 315's on 16" rims.
Good to know. One pro of staying with a 305 with the same diameter as a 285 is I could possibly get by with the same spare. So, I would only have to buy 4 tires. I think the limited slip differential on my 2005 SMB drivetrain could handle that for short distances. If I went 315 the con is I'd definitely need a similar size for a spare and I believe you also have to open the swingaway tire carrier to open the passenger side cargo door. And perhaps a bit more weight on the carrier. I've searched but haven't found much on handling characteristics of the taller tires. It's already hard enough to get into the beast so another two inches shouldn't matter right?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #25

Read my post in this thread about handling characteristics with the 315's. They were on the van for almost 30k miles. The taller and wider tires handle much better than the 305's I have now. They are much more stable and track much better on the highway. They are big!

My spare tire carrier could barely fit the 315. Also you had a specific order in opening. Always spare first then the tray then the doors. It wouldn't fit any other way. Now I can open either in any order.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Read my post in this thread about handling characteristics with the 315's. They were on the van for almost 30k miles. The taller and wider tires handle much better than the 305's I have now. They are much more stable and track much better on the highway. They are big!

My spare tire carrier could barely fit the 315. Also you had a specific order in opening. Always spare first then the tray then the doors. It wouldn't fit any other way. Now I can open either in any order.
Well, I did read your posts but it's apples and oranges comparing a 315 AT tire to a 305 MT in terms of handling on pavement. The diameter and width may not have anything to do with it at all.

And I'm in the dry southwest so I don't need a MT. Typically there's lots of hwy miles before hitting the dirt. I can't even imagine going to something as big as the 37s on the Badgertrek's rig. How do they even get in that thing?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #27

Quote:
it's apples and oranges comparing a 315 AT tire to a 305 MT in terms of handling on pavement. The diameter and width may not have anything to do with it at all.
Yup - I agree. I went from a 315 MT to a 295 AT (both D rated btw) and much prefer the AT tread on the road. For me, the AT's do everything better other than looks - I miss the way the big aggressive tires look without a doubt.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #28

Crikey, a SMB sighting in it's native element! Awesome rig Rionapo and nice talking to you!

I like how small that Suburban looks even with 33" tires on the SMB
Attached Thumbnails
smb-SF.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #29

Yeah, looks like that burb doesn't even reach the windows on the van...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

It is a striking contrast. Too bad it wasn't snowing.

The Suburban belongs to another instructor. On seeing the SMB, his son said, "Now that's a rig, Dad."

Good meeting you, too. Congrats on the racing victories. We need a mtn bike reunion/meet & greet.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote