Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

Some winter camping

I didn't put this in trip report necessarily simply because I have just a few pics and I just went to the ski mountain and camped overnight a few times. Thought I would post a couple pics.

and the whole family in the AM. Yes that is frost on the ceiling in the corners as the outside temp was in the teens. I used reflectix and some thermarest pads around the PH for insulation which helped.

The nights have been cold and we don't have a heater. We have a lot of sleeping bags and a portable buddy heater. However I am not a fan of the buddy heater and a better heat source is on the top of my list of priorities right now. I did not feel safe using the buddy heater in the vehicle. Last trip it snowed about a foot over night I am thinking I will reinforce or cut some 2x4 to reenforce the uprights holding up the roof. It was a lot of weight on it. So much snow that when I closed the roof it wouldn't shut since it built up against the canvas. Skiing has been great and the kids love it.

Last trip up everyone was required to chain up since there was about a foot of unplowed snow on the roadway. We didn't have chains and the state patrol were too busy helping all the stuck folks anyways. We cruised right by without even a slip. No problems in that kind of deep snow and we passed about 10 cars (all 2 wheel drive) who were stuck in their tracks unable to move any further.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Re: Some winter camping

Nice! You all seem pretty comfortable even with the frost showing:-)

I picked up some Rud chains and I've used them a couple times. While heavy, they are pretty easy to put on and seem to give quite a grip.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

I found it cute and interesting as to how resiliant young kids are to trips/adventures like you describe above (keeping out of the weather). I have similar memories of times with our two kids in the pre-personal-electronic days playing dominoes and such with rain or snow coming down outside camp.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Site Team

That first pic would make a great holiday card next year.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #5

great pics and story. thanks for sharing
does your wife know you posted a pic of her on the forum after she just woke up in the morning?
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #6

Good stuff! Looks like everyone had fun. BTW, Love the chocolate lab!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
great pics and story. thanks for sharing
does your wife know you posted a pic of her on the forum after she just woke up in the morning?
No she does not..... Shhh don't tell.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

What dont you like about the little Buddy heater? if you dont mind me asking. At this point thats all I have as well.
Great Pictures

Thanks
Ron
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
What dont you like about the little Buddy heater? if you dont mind me asking. At this point thats all I have as well.
Great Pictures

Thanks
Ron

A couple things since you asked. I put reflectix over all the windows and in the PH. I also used thermarest pads in the PH. It actually kept the van a good temp with the 4 of us in it and dog. At about 3 am I woke up and it was starting to get pretty cold in the van so I turned on the buddy heater since I hadn't used it until then that evening. It wouldn't lite. I think since the van is so tight and the 4 of us in it maybe the oxygen level was already lower or it was too cold inside?? I opened the side window and after 30 times it finally lit. In the process I woke everyone up. I put it on high for 30 minutes and it warmed the van up nicely. However it gives off an odor and it gives me a suffocating sense as well as my wife. Also having a lit flame on the floor of the van with kids in the PH did not sit well in my mind. I could see one of them coming down to get in our bed because of cold or using the portapotti and knocking it over and catching us on fire. I couldn't sleep with it running. I shut it off and then went through the process of starting it again around 7:30 am and again it wouldn't light. This time it woke everyone up for good. Finally got it lit after 30 times or more.

Since home I have tested it and it lights on the first try everytime. I think it is affected by the cold more so than anything. Also I had previously burned off the odor from new having it on high for a few hours to break it in. The odor we smell is from burned propane and it is not a pleasant odor faint as it is. Looking for something vented to the outside.

Looking at the Webasto 2000 gas version or the espar airtronic D5 gas version. Going to stay away from propane as I have heard it is louder and also I won't have to hassle with dual fuels. Got a quote from Van specialties in Oregon to install the Webasto gas version for $2k.

edit; Our snow camping experience prior we had the same results with the buddy heater of not lighting in the cold but working perfectly at home in a warm environment. Also the buddy heater never set off our CO detectors in the van even with the odor.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

thanks for the info. The last time mine wouldnt start it was clogged but you said yours was new. how high were you elevation could also have been the problem. I just cant swing the $$ now for a good system so its me and my buddy for now.
Thanks
Ron