Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #1

Sportsmobile 2.0 - "Van Diego"

Well we found and purchased our second SMB, a 2000 Ford E350 7.3L!

About a year ago we purchased a Dodge SMB to try this whole thing out and have been searching for version 2.0 ever since. We found what we were looking for and decided to buy it without an in person inspection since it was located near San Diego and we live out in CO. Once purchased I got it down to Agile for the RIP kit and some other maintenance related work so that it would be ready for the fly and drive. A few weeks later I flew to San Diego(hence the name) to pick it up and drive it home. After leaving Agile, I stopped in Vegas to meet up with forum member jwinterstellar and picked up the spare tire carrier I purchased from him.(thanks again!) Then it was a quick trip back with an overnight in Utah where I located a Forest Service road and headed out into the middle of nowhere to camp for the night. She drove all the way home beautifully!

It will be a good layout for us since it has the rear captains chairs(one of which I have already removed to make room for the dogs) which was a must since we wanted a proper front facing seat for our son.

There is a bit of work to be done on the SMB components since it seems like it was probably sitting for a bit, but hopefully nothing too major. Water pump was running but not sending water to the faucet(or out of the outlet port of the pump itself), heater is very dirty and will get cleaned before I even attempt to run it, and the rear captains chair swivel mounts needed some grease in a bad way.

I got the water pump working after disassembling it and cleaning all the parts up, but spotted a leak at the exterior hose hookup so I ordered a new one of those since I had the same issue with my first SMB.(which will be for sale shortly) I have started taking apart the Suburban heater to clean it out as well. I took out the rear captains chairs and took the swivel bases off of them and cleaned and greased the ball bearings and they swivel much better now!

The one down side is that there isn't much storage/cabinet space inside, but I have some cabinet making ideas that I will think through and probably start in the winter because summer is camping season not cabinet making season in my book! So for now I just want to get all the systems online and get out camping ASAP.

Here are a few pics of Van Diego:

Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #2

Sweet!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

So we can now officially talk about it. Excellent.

Congrats Ben!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:01 AM   #4

Nice looking rig! I really like that layout.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #5

Nice van , good luck with your second one. I have a similar layout -my gaucho is on the drivers side - one big benefit to it is that you can sit on the couch and cook- something you can't do in the more popular "50" layout. So why the switch to the new one-4x4?
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
So we can now officially talk about it. Excellent.

Congrats Ben!
Haha yea Greg, now that it is actually sitting in my driveway we can talk about it. I don't think you can jinx the sale after it is complete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillvanin View Post
Nice van , good luck with your second one. I have a similar layout -my gaucho is on the drivers side - one big benefit to it is that you can sit on the couch and cook- something you can't do in the more popular "50" layout. So why the switch to the new one-4x4?
Yea 4x4 was a big driving factor in the switch, since I snowboard and hike in the winter so getting to and from the mountains in winter weather is important. We also really wanted the forward facing seat for the kiddo.
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

Nice!

The message you have entered is too short
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
Haha yea Greg, now that it is actually sitting in my driveway we can talk about it. I don't think you can jinx the sale after it is complete!
Congrats man! That thing is really sweet.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #9

Nice layout, I need to figure out how to put a couch in mine.
TheCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #10

New CO and LPG detectors

I swapped out my CO and LPG detectors last night. Needed to make a new panel for the LPG detector, but luckily I had some extra MDF kicking around in the basement.(I know, I know, but this was a quick fix, I am planning a more comprehensive cabinet overhaul in the future.)

Here are the old detectors:

Surprise, surprise the fuse was pulled so that the annoying beep wouldn't bother the PO, I mean who needs safety anyway!

Old MDF Panel:

New:

In case anyone is looking here are the detectors that I bought:

Safe T Alert 65 Series Surface Mount CO Detector

Safe T Alert 30 Series Surface Mount LPG Detector

« Hi. | Question »