Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #11

Re: Still under contruction

Oh,

They are all switches, some with indicators built in some without.. the things like back up, and rock lights , etc. have indicators, lockers are in accordance with the colors in my jeep, amber front, green rear, locker power is blue. the acc circuit needs no idicator, fog lights no indicator, I can see that they're on. OBA has indicator, air horn is momentary, the rocker for the winch control is a 2 way momentary, winch power has indicator. I put a lot of thought into what I needed and what I'm used to having available to me in my TJ these idicators are very small but powerful led's. they run on 3 volts. I knocked down the 12v with a resistor.

I know you spell it differential.. not sure what happened there 3 times in a row.

cheers

Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #12

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
It looks a tweeker installed them one at a time as the build went on.. No thought went into the build by the builder.
That's my van! Actually I'm passively looking for a new kick plate and I'd love to organize all of my switches and lights on it, but you could fairly describe it as electrical vomit that got spewed, not just thrown up. My latest two switches (window control and mirror heater) really tipped the scales to garish.

Funny, my Jeep is the opposite- 3 matching aftermarket switches in the factory positions and one switch and it's indicator on either side of the cigarette lighter. I guess it's the difference between inheriting someone else's mess and starting from scratch with a plan.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Wow.
X2

I had to look up "rock lights". Not being a 4X4 owner I was unfamiliar with the term.
I'll will be incorporating some of your ideas into my own build. Thanks for the inspiration!

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #14

When it's dark enough I will shoot some pics of the rock lights
Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #15

Toolman,
Can you give specifics in enough detail for me to install a simple on/off switch for dome light bypass on my rig? I either want to add a switch next to the light, or re-wire so that one of the existing light switches does this while the other functions as the OEM intended (only for both lights vice one at a time).
Trouble is, I need to know what I'm looking for when I remove the light cover and fish around for wires. Also, what I'm up against as far as connectorizing (no need to solder I assume).
Photos or sketches work best, but I'll take what I can get.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #16

Re: Still under construction

Rewired tips
Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Site Team

I didn't understand what you meant by "switching ground only" until I found this diagram:

From this web page that explains using Bosch relays.

After looking through all the info I have to say you really have this thought out well. I'm going to have to redo my electrical plans to be more like yours. I think it's a better system.

You Da' man.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #18

Thank you very much.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #19

So I've come to a cross road on the build. I'm ready to finish the interior and the ceiling is next on the list. My dilemma is

1) should I bite the bullet and have the PH Top installed.

2) finish the ceiling the way it is now and then later on add the PH top.

3) leave it alone and do the PH top later.

I'm not sure what the time line would be for SMB West to get it done and I'm a little leery letting anyone work on my van, especially after I've seen some of the horror that has come out of there. Does anyone know if they got rid of the hackers yet ? Should I trust them with my baby, should I buy the PH top and install it myself ?

Has anyone had anything done by them lately ?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Does anyone know if they got rid of the hackers yet ? Should I trust them with my baby, should I buy the PH top and install it myself ?

Has anyone had anything done by them lately ?
I'd just ask them, point blank. Whether or not the situation was brought to their attention by the owner is irrelevant because we all know that SMB is aware of the situation through secondary means (this forum and ExPo).

Herb