Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Weldtec 4" Ocotillo Cruiser Traverse

I was considering my first Van purchase, attending the So Cal Meet-up on October 22nd and lurking through this forum increased the momentum of my search. A 2WD 2003 Traverse popped up in Portland towards the end of November, I flew up and drove it back to So-Cal with no issues.

After reading all the posts on lift kits and talking to Mountain Bike Roamer (thanks Mike!) I headed to El Cajon to talk with Jeremy at Weldtec. Jeremy gave me the shop tour. So many awesome builds going on the day of my visit. Jeremy spent well over a hour with me providing an education, advising me of my options and answering all my questions.

Ability to park in the garage was a significant factor in my decision to go with the Weldtec 4" Ocotillo Cruiser package with two Add-A-Leaf and the Negative Overload Spring in the rear. I really like the one-stop shopping Weldtec was able to provide. They handled the install, new brake pads and turned rotors front and rear, inspect and repack the bearings and sent it out for a new alignment.

When I drove on from Oregon it wallowed, floated and felt like a marsh mellow on the road. After the install it feels secure, tight, the body roll has been minimized yet it rides surprising smooth. Thank you Jeremy!

Wheels are Walker Evans 501 Legend, 16X8, +01 offset with 4.54 backside setting. I went with 265/75R16 load range E Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires. I'll include a couple of before and after pics. Originally I was sure I would remove the fiberglass flares and skirting. I have decided to live with them for a while. I do have a few other minor mods in mind but want to get in a few outings first.

This site is a great source of information and entertainment!

Mario
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3333.jpg   IMG_3241.jpg   IMG_3239.jpg   IMG_3367.jpg   IMG_3368.jpg  

IMG_3370.jpg  

cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Nice, looking good! I really dig how those Traverse tops sit flush when they are lowered.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

The flares almost look like they could work alone without the running boards with a little fiberglass work on the edge.

Your Van looks clean and comfortable. I wish I had bought a Van that had the top and cabinets completed at the start.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Garage
Hey Mario! Van looks GREAT!
Looks like Jeremy at WeldTec set up another winner.

Stoked it all came together for ya so fast! Seems like it was just yesterday you were at the October Silverado "Camper Vans and Coffee," walking around with "that look in your eye" of someone who suddenly has a van plan....

Nicely-balanced adventure rig you've got yourself there now....so tell us...
....where ya headed wth it first?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Nice van you've got now. That top is very cool how slim it is down. Love the Weldtec kits. I had to miss that meetup as I was out of town, but hope to make the next one.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #6

Nice
Old 01-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
GAR

cbadbox,

Cool van man. I remember seeing it when I was there getting work completed on my van. Your top is very stealth!

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #8

Thank you for all the kind comments, GAR your rig looks great! If I am in town whenever the next So-Cal meet-up happens I will try to attend. Mike your time and input was appreciated and helped get me pointed in the right direction.
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Garage
Looks great.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Hi Cbadbox Nice to see another traverse here. I have a 2002 in the same colour. I vae had mine for 3 years now. Done a fair bit of upgrades to her. But really love the westy style layout.
Ive done a spring lift on mine with tire change that gave me 3.5 inches of lift .
There are a a lot of tweaks that can make traverses better.
1) switch all interior lights to led's
2) the battery box with very minor mods will fit two 6v 27 series agm batteries (205) AH!
3) charge wizard module add on to the converter charger unit gives you control over charging profiles
4)Add lights inside the storage areas
and much more.