Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Who'll show me their xB50 in Seattle?

Howdy folks-
I've convinced myself (and my wife...) that it's time to pull the trigger on a camper van. When not camping, we'll be using the van for daily driving, and hauling kid, dogs, and gear for other hobbies.
We think the RB50 layout will meet both our vehicle and camping needs. Here's the thing: We've only ever seen pictures of the inside!

Is someone in the Seattle area willing to meet us and let us check out your van? PM me, we can exchange email and phone #'s. Obviously, this would be at your convenience, but the sooner the better.

We're mainly interested in the touch and feel of the camper conversion and the view from the back seat. But, bonus points if we can look at one with SMB's 4x4 system.

Thanks in advance!
-Blake

Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #2

Re: Who'll show me their xB50 in Seattle?

I have a 2002 EB50, but I'm out of town for another week or so.
It is a Quigley 4x4, not SMB.

Shoot me a PM after 7/21 if you want to meet up.

Quote:
we'll be using the van for daily driving
You realize they get 10MPG and don't fit in many parking garages or spaces?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

You realize they get 10MPG and don't fit in many parking garages or spaces?
Yeah...
Luckily I don't park in a garage at work or at home.
In my head, an RB van will fit in a parking spot. Is that wishful thinking?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
In my head, an RB van will fit in a parking spot. Is that wishful thinking?
Only if you think it will fit better than an EB!

The wheelbase is the same, so it's much easier to park than an F-series pickup of the same length (22' crew/longbed) because the wheelbase doesn't stretch as it does with the pickup. After that it depends on the spot- angled are easier than straight, and with parallel you're parking either EB or RB with so much room on each end the extra body length is probably negligible.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Well, also, bumpers and generator boxes stick out. I generally just use two parking spaces in a row, easier for everyone that way.

PS I love the EB50 layout. Really glad I didn't get an RB.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

PS I love the EB50 layout. Really glad I didn't get an RB.
Bait taken. Why?

Here's why I think I want an RB:
- Better offroad departure angle
- We'll have a kid buckled in the back and in my mind, he'll be 2 feet closer.
- If we have extra space in the back, we'll just fill it up.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
All the places I only wish I could go, the ones you can only read about the RBs going while you sit back at camp crying about all the extra gear you brought...

Quote:
And yet still too far to reach without getting out of your seat...

Quote:
- If we have extra space in the back, we'll just fill it up.
And yet you'll still wish for an extra 12", even in the EB...

I get it, I thought all those things too but I kept coming back to this one green EB that was for sale. Unless you have an obvious use of the space- RB50 cabinets in an EB leaving the back section empty, you'll probably never notice. I've hung out in Jeffrey's van and I couldn't put my finger on what was different- it was less space, but I couldn't explain how or where exactly it was less.

Point being I would jump on "the van" if it was EB or RB, and not get hung up on one or the other.
Attached Thumbnails
EBfootprint.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Site Team

What the RB50 layout in an EB50? Best of both worlds IMO.

Herb
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

We initially figured on getting an RB but since we wanted a hot water heater (and not a diesel engine although a diesel hot water heater wasn't an option back then) we needed to get the EB. Departure angle was never a factor and I didn't even realize that it might be a problem. (We bought our SMB back long before this forum and even before the Yahoo chat list.) That said, I've only dragged the back bumper once or twice.

Yes, you can bring more stuff with an EB than an RB but our "stuff" is what makes us comfortable while camping...a memory foam pad and a couple of Thermorest pads to make sleeping in the penthouse as good as sleeping on a $2000 mattress at home and a duffel bag with sheets, fleece blanket, and a down comforter (we slept in sleeping bags for decades while backpacking and my wife didn't want to do that in the van). Add a lounge chair for her in camp rather than a camp chair and a duffel of cold weather gear and rain gear which stays in the van all year...just in case.

Yes, there is "stuff" that we have in the van which we have never used...a sand anchor for example, and things that we have only used a few times...tire patch kit, hydraulic jack in addition to a Hi-Lift jack, full tool bag, etc.

Our EB will fit in our driveway if the winch is an inch from the garage door although the jerry cans on the back overhang the sidewalk. (It is 20' from the garage to the sidewalk.) I used our van as the daily driver for 4 years before retiring although my commute was only a couple of miles each way. Parking in angled parking spots in shopping centers is not a problem. But finding a parking spot in small towns with parallel parking can be problematic...I only park at the ends of the blocks...typical parallel parking spots are 20' long. But we have always been able to find somewhere to park.

We've have been very happy with our EB50.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
All the places I only wish I could go, the ones you can only read about the RBs going while you sit back at camp crying about all the extra gear you brought...
Isn't there beer at camp? There can't be TOO much crying...

Awesome Nice meme.

I have to caveat the following opinion by saying I have never driven a van offroad. All my offroad experience has been rockcrawling in AZ, UT, and CO, driving a Tacoma, FJ60 LC, mid'80s Toyota pickups, and a rock buggy.
The times I struggled with departure angle were not when climbing but rather descending an obstacle. There's often a way to approach an obstacle that will get you up it without scrapping, and you don't have momentum to keep under control. Many times, when going down, gravity "helps" you pick your line, you might have to power out, and all of that will compress your rear suspension making your departure angle worse right when it's most critical. I have no problem slowly dragging or scrapping metal on rocks, but I try to avoid hard, sharp impacts.

I probably won't be driving a 10k# fullsize "motorhome" on Patriot or Indy down in Cannon City, but I also have uttered the phrases "I don't want a motorcycle" and "Only one more beer."

Quote:
Quote:
And yet still too far to reach without getting out of your seat...
This is exactly why we need to see a van and sit in it.

Quote:
Point being I would jump on "the van" if it was EB or RB, and not get hung up on one or the other.
That sounds like great advice, especially considering our inexperience with everything van.