Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Garage
Yellow Sportsmobile

Picture of my SMB at Sportsmobile West ready for delivery to Schumacher Logistics, LA, and journey by SeaContainer to Plymouth, New Zealand for right hand drive conversion.

Attachment 10911

Attachment 10912

Attachment 10910

Attachment 10913

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	10914

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

Garage
Image of how vehicle will look after Right Hand Drive conversion by Eagle Automotive NZ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e350 reverse 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	10916
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
Image of how vehicle will look after Right Hand Drive conversion by Eagle Automotive NZ.

Attachment 10916
Nicely done, but my brain is having a hard time with the image. I'm too used to a left-hand drive dash, so seeing it the other way just seems strange. Must be a good feeling to get your rig home and on the road there.

Herb
Old 03-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Garage
Crazy looking! Do you have any details about how they do the conversion?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #5

Really curious about the clearance for accelerator/brake pedals in the right side footwell......(almost said passenger side!)

...and your image above has now really got me thinking......how do you mirror image that dash shape?.....photoshop makes it look easy!
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #6

Hi,

Remember that its not quite a mirror image. Accelerator and brake positions remain the same i.e. brake pedal left and accelerator right. I wonder if the floor get hacked up and (the engine too) moved left for more foot room at the driver's feet. What about driveline angle to keep the u joints spinning as the engine moves closer to the centreline of the rear axle?

Love this stuff. Clears or creates cobwebs thinking about it. Depends on whiskey tank levels.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 03-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #7

The fun comes when you have a right hand drive with a manual transmission. It takes a bit to get use to the shift pattern using your left hand.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

When I lived in Australia I had to figure out a three on the tree manual tranny at the same time as learning to drive on the left side of the road. Imagine right turns in a busy city centre. Signal, shifter, driver, and crossing traffic all on the "wrong" side. I was younger then...

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

Garage
G'day.
i beleive they move engine to left about 1.5 inches. Engine bay and dash is acomplete rebuild.
Steering has to be moved, Turbo stays where it is.Fenders come off, dash comes out, with new
right hand side dash installed. Very complex, takes 6 weeks. The parts are all made for Fords, GM
& RamTrucks and cars in New Zealand for world right hand drive conversion markets, UK, Japan,
Australia, etc.
will post pictures as it's being done. Not on a ship yet still at shipping base LA.
Cheers.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #10

Garage
will be interesting to see it converted. when they convert the barn doors, will the 40 be towards the front, or do they keep the standard configuration? seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, and more importantly, sounds expensive good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
The fun comes when you have a right hand drive with a manual transmission. It takes a bit to get use to the shift pattern using your left hand.
ive got some time in rhd cars. i usually turn on the wipers trying to blinky for the first 20-30 min or so, lol. the shifting isnt too bad, unless your trying to be fast. shifting racer style with my left hand wasnt very efficient

made myself look like an idiot out at the track one day. took a silvia we imported out to the local drag strip. wife had never ran her car before so i was helping her out as much as possible. when i staged in line, i jumped out real quick to run back a few cars to ask if she needed anything else. line started moving so i ran up to the car, jumped in...then realized i was on the wrong side. jumped out, ran to other side. guy in mustang behind me shaking his head, "stupid imports", lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote