Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: 1st trip in the new used rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
hoping Leavitt Lake would open soon. Maybe not!
108 is open, but I have no idea about the road to the lake. Is the road two wheel drive?
Well it depends on how well graded it is but even though I saw a car in there one time, it was trashed. The first fording often requires a lifted vehicle and the trail is very rough and bolder laden in a few spots. It's about the same altitude as Virginia Lakes. I'm supposed to be there on the 7th of June. I'll admit it is one of the best well used camping areas in the Sierra's. Two years ago the forest service graded it and with the right tires a 2WD could make it as long as you took it slow. Problem is it changes from year to year. Absolutely fantastic fishing.

You can read about it on my web site. Leavitt Lake

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #12

Bummer. I just went over 108 the last week of April a couple of days after it opened. I was gonna stay at Leavitt Meadows campground, but it was closed. I should have checked out Leavitt Lake. Great area (sure not much snow there this year, really dry).

Re Saddlebag: it's a USFS campground, and run by a concessionaire. When I was on the east side in April the concessionaire was opening some high campgrounds, like Onion Valley, before the dates that the USFS had on their websites. Given the lack of snow, they might open early. I don't know how to contact the concessionaire directly, but they might have the most up-to-date info. This was true of Inyo NF; Toiyabe didn't seem to be doing that. Onion Valley was already clear of snow, as was the Whitney trail up to Lone Pine Lake, and the road up as far as the closure at Tioga (although I heard clear as far as the pass, but can't confirm that).

I occasionally use an Outback Oven we had for backpacking and rafting trips; works well with a small stove although it's limited in that you use essentially what is a small frying pan. So good for slow cooking or baking stuff that fits in it, like biscuits or scones. I noticed Coleman now makes a combo stove/oven that looks like a toaster oven, but it's super expensive.

Love the boat set up. Would the van float on them if you turtle it into a lake?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Well it depends on how well graded it is but even though I saw a car in there one time, it was trashed.
I will never be able to go the places you go. Maybe I need to move to the Pleasureway/Roadtrek group.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
Quote:
Well it depends on how well graded it is but even though I saw a car in there one time, it was trashed.
I will never be able to go the places you go. Maybe I need to move to the Pleasureway/Roadtrek group.
That's like throwing down the gauntlet in front of us. We can help you spend all kinds of money so that you CAN go to those places. Lose those running boards, lift the suspension, and add a locker and you can go all sorts of places. Add 4wd, and then you're really cooking.

Herb
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #15

1st trip in the new used rig

Don't be cruel Herb!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #16

Herb,
He does not have to lose the running boards. I love mine. My feet and any dogs feet will never slip thru, as can be done on hoop steps.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote