Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #11

Re: 20 states in 24 days, our PNW trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
lotsa wow in your photos! what a great family adventure!! cant wait to see more

a couple we are friends with just gave my wife an i that same exact coleman oven. those things work great. we used ours for the first time at city of the rocks this past april and my wife baked me a b-day cake. it was absolutely delicious and i was very impressed with how well it kept heat. we use it most every trip now.
Yeah, they fold so small it's kind of a no brainer on any trip for us more than one night. An oven (of sorts) really opens up your cooking opportunities. I was just talking to a friend last night about these and how they don't give any heat from above like a home oven does, so you have to get creative with some things like biscuits to get them done. They will NEVER brown on top so you have to flip them a couple minutes before you pull them and they are perfect. Not a problem for me at all.

CarringB - The problem I'm having is just an occasional stumble usually just after I have filled up. It rarely if ever happens with 3/4 tank or less. Vapor lock may be completely wrong. I'm actually thinking it's more of a tank venting issue. My rear Transferflow tank started seeping again about halfway through my trip so we ran it dry and quit using it. The problem hardly happens at all when just using the front tank. My current plan is to pull all of the Transferflow plumbing and return things to stock (except for the fact that my main tank is an aftermarket Aerotank now) and see if things smooth out. The problem has NOT left us on the side of the road or caused full engine shutdown yet, it just stumbles and gripes a little from time to time.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

Very awesome trip!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #13

Glad you made it home safe. Pics are amazing. Cant wait to see the rest.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #14

Garage

Well, we're all waiting for the next update..! What are you doing Scotty?!!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Well, we're all waiting for the next update..! What are you doing Scotty?!!
Here you go Claude........

The Leavitt Lake meetup. This was about 3 miles off pavement up the Pacific Crest Trail on Sonora Pass, for anyone not familiar with the area. It's a pretty gnarly 3 mile trail to get up there, which pretty much rules out very many neighbors. It was awesome. I think it was a walk in the park for DaveB and maybe others, but pretty technical. My van had no trouble with it, but my kids were getting a little tired of wheeling after Moab. Softies. My only worry was that my fuel venting issue was acting up and for some of the climb I had no power! I was thinking about how much it would suck to get towed out of a place like that. Now I know how 6.0 owners feel Ok Ok, sorry, that was low. I take it back.

Here's our first glimpse of the lake

Absolutely beautiful, and cccccold still in late June

Dave saved me an awesome spot up on top of the hill, or so I thought. After we got blown away all night I knew he didn't take it because of the wind! Nice one Dave. Someone had left an old picnic table there, which was pretty nice for dispersed camping.

I wish I could wake up to this view from the penthouse on every camping trip

Here's Dave with his beast

Craig and Cindy (Calclimber) with Dave

Though I didn't get a pic of Paul and Tina (oldbonesclimber), I did get a great shot of their dog, who definitely has the right idea

I didn't get a pic of 1der's (Ray and Jennifer's) rig either, but I should've. They had a great spot on a ridge with a panoramic view of the lake. It was a great weekend in a beautiful place. Sorry we had to leave the party early, but for the 2nd year in a row we were able to meet some fellow SMBers during our vacation. Life is good.

I attempted to get some action photos on the way out, but pics of a vehicle wheeling just don't do it justice. You can't see how steep or gnarly these sections were

Just after this we met YVRR and Danhtran1143 on their way in, and shortly after that we passed Rob (rallypanam) on the other side of the pass. Sure hated to leave but we were bound for San Francisco

More to come

Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

During our last day, your camp became one of the best spots after all the winds had died down. The dead calm areas became a hub for mosquitos, so those camps on the hills that still had a light breeze were kind of nice. The weather made a huge turn the following week as the temps climbed and the winds mellowed. Just poor timing on our part but still worth it for the views. Besides I'll take most any weather to meet up with friends.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #17

Now you tell me! Na, it was great all around. After the wind we had at Moab it was nuthin'!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #18

Dammit Dave. If you schedule another great meetup that conflicts with my vacation schedule.......well that will not be acceptable! We missed Leavitt last time we met up with you. Next time you will be stuck with us.
Chris and Ruth
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #19

Went this weekend had great weather, no bugs, no wind, great temps, and the full moon.
It was a bit crowded, I saw several 2 wheel drive cars come in.
Had a nice camp spot and a good hike around the lake.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig255
Went this weekend had great weather, no bugs, no wind, great temps, and the full moon.
It was a bit crowded, I saw several 2 wheel drive cars come in.
Had a nice camp spot and a good hike around the lake.
Wow, hard to imagine that place getting crowded, and hard to imagine cars coming up there!