Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #31

Re: 2010 Forum Meetup Weekend

We are planning a long trip in our SMB starting in June and would love to meetup with some people who have spent a 2 weeks or more living out of there SMB. I'd be up for something in Idyllwild area or Big Bear area. We are only 2wd so would be restricted to high clearance vehicle dirt roads. I've got a few spots in these areas I park and sleep at and then go rock climbing but no great site for a bunch of SMBs but I'm sure we could figure something out. Either would be less than 150 miles from LA county or San Diego and offer nice tempertures in May. For both a Saturday morning departure is ideal for and both offer lots of good hiking, camping, fishing, Mt Biking, Rock climbing, not sure about 4x4?

I'm up for organizing the suggested May 8th or 1st or 15th. Anyone interested in a So Cal meetup?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #32

I am in so cal
When and where ya think?
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #33

After you've spent 3 nights in the SMB, the next 5 weeks are the same, except you have to stop and do laundry once in awhile.

8 weeks is the most we've done. 6 weeks with a grandson along.

Mike (and Dorothy)
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #34

So did anyone actually do this (a Local Meetup)? Should I schedule a weekend for next year?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
Site Team

Garage

I probably would have tried to do something but my van is in the shop. We've had a late winter out here and some areas normally open now are still closed but it seems like the calender missed for some. Speaking for myself, this time of year is when I'm trying to set up a major trip somewhere. My time slot for crossing the desert regions is between April and June so that's where taking a trip back east factors in. I prefer an extended mini ralley so I can knock out 2 birds with one stone; meet and explore. Reserve one day as the meet/greet for those who just want to say hi and also get in some exploring even if I'm the only one wanting to run some trails.
There are just too few members around me to make it a easy weekend meet and I don't want to take a long drive for one day. I had planned to (and was looking forward to) hitting the coast for the meet up but no van

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #36

i know its last minute, but if anyone is interested in a Colorado meetup I'll be racing in Nathrop (near Buena Vista) this weekend. Maybe some of you front-range SMBers would be interested.

Just a thought.

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #37

I'm pretty short on time for my Yellowstone trip, but I would like to head out there if I can. Do we get to watch you race?

What would be the plan outside of that- is there a place to meet, somewhere to gather and camp?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #38

I'll be practicing Friday and then racing Super-D and Dual Slalom on Saturday. The races conclude around 5:30 pm. Come up and check out the races if possible. The Super-D goes off between 12:30 and 1pm and then DS will run around 3-5:30.
Sunday, I'll be hanging around to take some pictures of the other races so I'm open to meet up any time that day.
I'm open to any suggestions for places to meet up on Sunday, since its so close to Buena Vista and Salida.
There will be plenty of cold Durango micro-brews in the SMB for everyones enjoyment......

There is a campground just across 285 from the race venue and there is a KOA in Johnson Village.

Campground info:Chalk Creek Camp Ground across Hwy. 285 has tent camping spots for 2 people for $7.20 plus tax. they also have R.V. and trailer spots between $35 and $50 They are also offering a 10% discount with your USA Cycling license. If you Bring a DOG you will have to pay and additional $5 dollars for the dog. YOU MUST POLICE YOUR DOG POOP! ! ! If people bring dogs again this year and don't clean up their dogs' poop they are going to not allow dogs any longer!
Chak Creek Camp Ground (719) 395-8301

Directions to the race venue:
Nathrop is located in central Colorado, 7 miles south of Buena Vista and 17 miles north of Salida – right in between Salida and Buena Vista. From Denver take 285 south for 1.5 hours to Johnson Village, follow 285 south for approximately 5 miles, look for event signage on the west side of Highway 285 in Nathrop near the General Store/Post Office.

Race website for some more info:
http://www.racemsc.com/events/chalkcreekstampede
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote